Naming fish, mainly carp.

Guest Gaffer

Guest Peter Waller

Chris, how right you are!!!! I'm afraid what you are saying is no longer limited to carp angling. Dick Walker, would I'm sure, turn in his grave if he could see what has happened to carp fishing. It is, regretfully, running over into pike and barbel fishing. There are carp anglers and then there are carp fishermen. The latter being, as Budgie calls 'em, crap yobs. But at the end of the day we are all out to catch fish. It is a petty difference, that, regretfully exists, hardly one that calls for annimosity at any level. For me, I just distance myself from the Pike Circus.

Chris, you sound as if you are suffering..

there are waters that are like the seventies/early eighties that are magnificent, you just have to look. If your local club is full of plonkers, find somewhere else and don't join next year or get on the committee and ban the buggers, it's that simple! there may not be a garlic eating fifty in there but who cares?

Look at it this way, (say) fifteen years ago, maybe more.. most people 'progresed' through species... roach/perch to bream/tench then carp.. whether this is progression is up to the angler.. but carp were considered the hardest at the time to catch (rightly or wrongly) Now, a ten pound carp is VERY common, which would a newcomer want to catch.. 10 lbs of carp or a 2lb bream? both being about equally difficult to catch in absolute terms. It naturally follows that most new recruits to angling follow the 'carp path' especially with the media perception and availability of tackle and literature that was not around many years ago.

It's not their fault.. if you were their age (in terms of fishing not actual age) you'd do the same... if most are starting fishing as carp anglers you're going to get a few? bad apples!

Happy Fishing

Guest Graham E

I have to say that Pete B and Budgie have hit the nail on the head here. I love fishing for carp, but the 4 rod/ half lake all electric flashing light mob on an acre lake, radio blaring, beer swilling peasants aint fishing. They fish designer Lakes with designer rigs with designer baits. Many couldn't even tie a knot. The only good aspects are that it keeps them away from the rivers.

Pete B's reference highlight my own earlier comments and leave me saddened that newcomers might think "this" is fishing.

Like everything, the worse aspects are often seen as the norm and all are tarred with the same brush by the non carp brotherhood.

Of course it depends on the real carp anglers to tell the truth on this, not hide behind indignity.

Of the debates in Barbel fishing currently the changing methods/tactics/publicity and money avail for a big fish MAY be/IS heading it the same way, but not if I can help it.

[This message has been edited by Graham E (edited 21 November 2000).]

It appears that this is turning into a hammer the carp angler thread, which is not what Gaffer intended. Some of you may know i run a rather well known syndicate lake. And yes when we stocked it, i said that we will never give them silly names, but five years down the line and guess what, yep a few of them have, well !!! not so silly names. I just got fed up trying to explain i saw the one with two scales here and a cluster of scales over there, so i fell into the carp naming trap. (bloody easier now though)

As for the antics of carp anglers, well i have quite a few members of various skill levels, and i never have a problem. Its a rule called "no stroke pulling" it covers all manner of evils, if i think you are stroke pulling, out you go (never used it in five years) and that is a compliment to the members, and they are all carp anglers.

Sorry to waffle on, but thats me. As you will find out when you meet me.

------------------

"see ya soon"

stoney

It appears that this is turning into a hammer the carp angler thread, which is not what Gaffer intended. Some of you may know i run a rather well known syndicate lake. And yes when we stocked it, i said that we will never give them silly names, but five years down the line and guess what, yep a few of them have, well !!! not so silly names. I just got fed up trying to explain i saw the one with two scales here and a cluster of scales over there, so i fell into the carp naming trap. (bloody easier now though)

As for the antics of carp anglers, well i have quite a few members of various skill levels, and i never have a problem. Its a rule called "no stroke pulling" it covers all manner of evils, if i think you are stroke pulling, out you go (never used it in five years) and that is a compliment to the members, and they are all carp anglers.

Sorry to waffle on, but thats me. As you will find out when you meet me.

------------------

"see ya soon"

stoney

Stoney ,I promise this will be my last "off topic" post!If you looked carefully you will have noticed that it was a "champion" of carp angling that turned this into an "anti carp" post as he often seems to do!

Incidently a great shame this as I thought Gaffers origonal post brought a lot of interesting(and I thought quit united in principle) posts.

[This message has been edited by BUDGIE (edited 21 November 2000).]

Guest Chris Shaw

BUDGIE

If you are refering to my post then say so, I would prefer it.

I have carp fished for well over 20 years, and when a topic appears about carp fishing I tend to want to join in, but seem to end up letting out my anger at the way carp fishing has gone over the years. Sorry if it spoils the thread a bit but in this case I just thought naming fish was all part of the destructive process. Gaffer asked what we thought of naming carp and I posted what I thought and what I thought it was connected too.

In the future I will try to be more positive, unless of coarse I see it differently wink.gif

------------------

Chris Shaw

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 22 November 2000).]

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by Elton:

Chris,

Dunno if I'm right or wrong, but I definitely get the impression that Budgie's comments weren't aimed at you  smile.gif

All the best,

Elton

Thats OK Elton just thought it might be as I do tend to say it how I see it I am afraid, and stray from the threads sometimes.

------------------

Chris Shaw

NO,No,No,Nooooo Chris I thought your post backed myself and many other frustrated "traditional" carp anglers perfectly.This thread was going along nicely untill Paul lept out of his pram!Dam! I promised no more off thread posts!!