cheese paste for chub!

Guest big tinca

Guest big tinca

i heard that cheese paste is really good on rivers in winter (thats if you can get to bloody fish them)so i was wondering if anyone could advise me on a good way to make it and what cheeses are best i heard blue stilton is good.

Guest Alan Roe

Any good smelly cheese will do I tend to use Danish Blue though Stilton and Gorgonzola are both effective. There are different ways of working it into a paste, I melt the cheese into a bowlful of fresh breadcrumbs add a drop of oil and knead into a paste. In place of breadcrumbs you can use pre-made frozen pastry as Tony Miles does.

One thing I have found to be effective as an additive is Perles Garlic oil you can get it from your local supermarket it comes in a garlic shaped plastic bottle. Go easy with it as it really is powerful stuff!!

Dont throw your paste away at the end of the session freeze it the longer you keep it the better it gets!

Cheers

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Roe (edited 11 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Alan Roe (edited 11 December 2000).]

Originally posted by big tinca:

i heard that cheese paste is really good on rivers in winter (thats if you can get to bloody fish them)so i was wondering if anyone could advise me on a good way to make it and what cheeses are best i heard blue stilton is good.

Hi Tinca

Matt Hayes'(if memory serves me correct) recipe appeared in Improve your coarse fishing a few weeks ago. I made loads but haven't had much chance to try it. You paste up some stilton or other blue cheese in a bowl with a fork/spoon and add a few drops of cheese essence (the reason is obvious in a mo). Add some red powdered food colouring (apparently the article says red outfishes yellow by 2 fold....) and smear the mix onto some shortcrust pastry dough that you can buy from the supermarket. The cheese essence is to counteract the dilution by the dough. Then nead it until t becomes a uniform red colour (don't do what I did and threw it all over the worksurface - oops). You can then freeze it and use at leisure.

If you need the article I can post the details of the issue after checking them at home.

TL

Andy

Guest paul mc

hi big tinca

i tried edam with onions and garlic a while ago with some very good results for chub. I bought it from asda and you dont have to make a paste with it you can use it straight from the packet(if your going to try it its got a green wax coating on it were as normal edam has red). Never caught a barbel on it though so i tend not to use it as much

Not sure about chub (we don't seem to have them) but this is good for channel catfish who like strong smelling baits.

Limburger cheese, ground meat, corn flakes/wheat flakes or similar cereal. Crush the cereal and knead into ground meat until it is fairly stiff. Roll into small balls. Melt the limburger (outside unless you live alone and never have friends over)and roll the balls in it until well coated. After it cools, place in a plastic bag and refrigerate for a day or two - seems to "set" the cheese scent.

If you are fishing these things on a warm day, in addition to catching fish, you should have your swim and the surrounding area all to yourself.

Wait till after Xmas, when the supermarkets are selling their surplus Stilton cheap, buy some right on its sell- buy and stick it in the fridge.Let it get a bit stinky, you know it is ready when you are threatened with a divorce. Then stick it in the food processor, if it needs stiffening then add some white crumb. As previously mentioned, it keeps well in the freezer. You can even leave it in your box until it really stinks !, old rubber lips dont care.

Adrian

Guest Graham E

Buy some cheddar, grate it, get a fresh sliced loaf, cut of the crust, interleaf the grated cheese with the bread, add a few drops of water, knead it well with your hands, plastic bag it, Fridge it, use it. Catch Chub.

Guest JOHN HEPWORTH

Never use fresh sliced bread, the late, great,Peter Stone always recommended 3-4 day old uncut. Peter also knew a bit about catching big chub. Will be sadly missed by all

------------------

JOHN HEPWORTH(CSG)

Guest Graham E

Works for me John, If you see any other post I have made/inc articles ref bread mash etc you will see that I say 3/4 day old bread the same.

BUT for cheesepaste I want a stickier glutinous mix that stays well on the hook despite the fat content of the cheese. If the mix is too dry it's a b***** to keep it on the hook. I also dont make it too smooth, just kneaded enough to combine.

[This message has been edited by Graham E (edited 14 December 2000).]

Guest Alan Pearce

My fav all time cheese paste mix is very simple as follows:

8oz of Danish Blue put in microwave and heat so that it is just soft enough to spread.

8oz of medium cut white bread, just off fresh, remove the crusts, add a very small amount of water onto one side of each slice. Spread cheese on one slice then put another on top of this and cover with cheese and so on until you have one very thick sandwich.

Place all into a large mixing bowl and begin kneading, not stopping until every little lump is kneaded out. If at the end itis a little too moist add a little plain white flour and work in until the required consistency is reached. Roll into a ball then flatten out to about 3/4" thick, put in freezer bag and keep in fridge for at least a week before use. When taken out re knead in any mould that has formed and go a chubing. Any left over can be put back in the fridge or frozen, over and over again. In fact the older it is the better and only discard if the mould turns black.

As a change bait discard 3oz of bread when making and replace with 2oz of custard or blamanch (blamonge, can't spell it)powder.

Get your tip pulled eek.gif

Alan.