Legering Set up (help)

leedsunited

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First decide if you are going to use a leger stop or a separate tied hooklength.

Lets assume you opt for the second method, it's better anyway.

1)First tie up a hooklength using your chosen line, hook at one end, smallish swivel at the other end, and put that aside for later.

2)Now thread the reel-line through all the rod rings.

3)Now put on the line something to attach the leger weight to, I prefer a plastic bead which already has a swivel and clip attached to it.

4)Next a rubber buffer bead is a good idea.

5)Now tie the reel-line to the swivel on the hooklength that you tied earlier.

6)Attach the weight of your choice to the clip on the bead and swivel (see No.3) which is free running on the reel-line.

Note: You don't need a leger stop with this method because the swivel on the hooklength acts as a stop.

You can have different hooklengths tied up ready if you should want to change the length or the hooksize or whatever.

unless i've misunderstood something, no you cant swap a buffer bead for a shot, the shot wont provide any shock resistance, and it will weaken your line, just use a rubber bead thingy

leedsunited:

so what knot do i use to tie the reel line to the hooklength swivel

if i have a hair on a hook can i put the bait on the hook and just leave the hair free ? will this do anything ?

A palomar knot or a grinner knot is best.

Yes, you can ignore the hair if you want to mount a bait directly on a hook with a hair already on it. (Fish have so far totally failed to grasp the significance of the etiquette of a Victorian dining room.)

They're called beads. The people at the shop will know what you mean. They come in different sizes (measured in mm) and colours (black, green, light brown etc.

Tell them where you intend to fish etc and I'm sure they will help you out. A good tackle shop will have some helpful people. Try going mid-week when it's not so busy and they can devote more time, so you can ask lots of questions.

They should be happy to do that, particularly if you spend a bit of money. :)

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal