Spawning

BIGMAN

RUDD:

No fish will touch a bait when it has breeding on its mind as they have to have the right conditions. ...... I have been privilaged (and frustrated) to see carp spawning (3 times now).

Not sure about UK carp but in the US, the smaller males are too preoccupied with remaining near the shore and bashing around the females so I agree, they don't bite. But females will tend to not all be on the bank at the same time and the ones out a distance (over 1- feet usually) can be enticed into taking a bait. As long as those pesky males don't find them and herd them into the shallows where they can bump them around some. :)

[ 03. April 2003, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Actually I find Perch are very vicious when they are breeding and will readily hammer a lure. OK, they may not take a bait presented at them but this doesn't mean that you cannot catch the buggers. I,m pretty sure that one of my better bags last year, was while the Perch were in spawn. 1 fish in particular came back for a second go, leading me to believe that Perch can be caught quite easily if you know where they lie during spawning. Fling a Mepp at them with a John Roberts baitsaver on the treble. Deadly.

AFinalAnimation.gif

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

RUDD:

No fish will touch a bait when it has breeding on its mind as they have to have the right conditions

Hey Rudd! Do you fancy testing out your theory on some Carcharodon carcharias?

gal_white.jpg

I am sure he would'nt bite if you interrupted him mid-bonk. :D:D

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote