Hooklength Re-think

Paul_D

I had an amazing days fishing the other day when my mate and I had a go for Barble - not a species I target very often. I did manage to catch my first ever double at 10lbs 10ozs but had a very rude awakening to the power of these fish on the way.

In a nutshell I got smashed 3 times by VERY big fish as well as one more throwing the hook. I now have little confidence anymore in my up till then trusted Stren in 3.00 Kg strength....I didn't stand a chance. I then swapped to a 12lb mono lenght and was again smashed (although the bite took me by suprise and my strike was a tad 'over exuburent'. It was only when I cut a length of 15lb braid to use as a hooklength that I landed any fish.

I'm more than wanting to have another crack at them so would be interested in what you folks favour as a material.

It was a new stretch of river to me, but I suspect I was casting over a gravel bar and into a deeper hole across the far back.

Paul

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well congratulations on your first double. i've yet to catch a TWO pound barbel! as for your problems with hooklengths, i've seen loads of people using heavier braids and lines for mainlines and hooklengths and they think that they have the ability to strike harder and bully the fish more but this is simply not the case. now i'm not saying this is what you do, but even when i'm taken by surprise by a bite i have a tendency to strike harder.it's an automatic reaction i suppose, as with lots of others i'm guessing.my advice is check all your knots, and check the line for parts that might be fraying and take your time with fish that you hook. it works for me!

I use whycwood flourocarbon 10lb b/s mostly, sometimes braid. I don't use anything less than 15lb braid. I check my hooklength after every cast, never mind every fish. If I find a slight floor or if it looks slightly damaged it is changed without a second thought, this is done a lot especially on the severn as I seem to have to change more hook lengths there than anywhere. I take plenty of ready tied rigs with me and tie them while on the bank when things are quiet. I can be fishing within 20 seconds after changing a hook length. If you want to know more feel free to email me

Paul

Definately not knots...I'm very meticulous about them and I do check hook lengths often as my usual haunt is the R. Wharfe which has a very rocky bed. The river in question above was the Warks Avon around the Evesham area who's bed I don't think is particularly a problem.

The rod I used was the 1.75lb T.C. John Wilson Barbel twin tip jobby...never used it before, with a 15lb braided mainline. I'm wondering if there was too much shock for a mono type hooklink. Hard striking has always been a problem for me. I (still :D )have very fast reactions, which has caused me countless lost fish in the past - and no matter what people say you can't sit on your hands all day.....

Paul

Depending on conditions and the River fishing etc i use

10lb(8lb bottom/main depending on conditions)Mono (Maxima) for big River far bank fishing such as the severn.With a Porky Pig feeder rod.

8lb(with a 5lb bottom depending on conditions)(Maxima) Mono for close in fishing on a big River with a Harison Interceptor Avon Rod.

8lb Mono(Maxima)fishing on small Rivers such as the Dane sometimes with a 5lb bottom(winter fishing etc)

I haven't been smashed on a river in years,apart from when fishing for chub with a stick float on 3lb line and a Barbel decides to take my baite lol.

[ 28. July 2005, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: chris mc ]

Use mono reel line the stretch will save you a few fish everytime and its (good quality) actually more arbasion resistant thean braid. I wouldn't use braid as a hooklength as it is very thin and can cut the fishes mouth.

Indenpendant tests have shown the best good quality abrasion resistant monos are Fox Specimen and Suffix Synergy

Yeah, me too ColinW, never experienced anything like it before. The one thing I didn't check thinking about it was the swivel for burrs etc...I wonder. It was Fox Specimen line BTW....

Paul

Paul_D - a tiny hairline crack in one of your rings could easily damage the line even if the crack were too small for you to notice. A cotton bud spun slowly inside the ring will show you any cracks since they will snag the cotton.

Richard Capper - I often read that braid hooklength could cut a fishes mouth or other body parts. I use almost nothing else and have never had this nor can I find a reliable angler who says he/she has had it happen.

While I'm sure there is a potential risk, I don't see it as being significant.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President