Hooklength Re-think

Paul_D

Bob. Appreciate the sentiment fella but I was using barbless hooks and a safety rig. Maximum of 12 inches of temporarily trailing hooklength. End of story. Can't all walk around with halo's like you.....Pal!

Paul

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Bradford:

Paul D, you are using a bolt rig, there is no need to strike, what do you mean you cannot help yourself? I think you are having a laugh, are you seriously saying you cannot control your bodily functions? You do realise that the poor fish is swimming around with line and a hook trailing out of it's mouth, just because you react wrongly, sort it out , it ain't hard pal.

paul he has a point.

once is bad,three times means somethings very wrong,i'm not having ago mate as i said erlier it has happened to me and i sorted it.

if you intend to fish for barbel again then you SHOULD learn to control yourself,its not fair on the fish mate.either that or try and analyse the situation more(you have already.. by coming here.-good on ya.)

it may just be a snag there, if it is avoid the swim, no matter how temtpting.. if you know you cant land it.. it aint worth it.

like i said i'm not having ago at ya :)

[ 29. July 2005, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Ratty Fitzpatrick46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

For my Barbel fishing I use the following rod and lines, it pays to get a quality line and to make shore it is load on the reel correctly. I have used two types for line my first choice is GR60 and second Maxima, I am trying out some newest line Riverge Reel-Soft which is very promising I have only try this in 6lb but will be trying 10lb this weekend as I am on the Thames.

I think one of the biggest problems with any one how starts to fish for Barbel is there they sit on there hands, I always have my hand on the rod at all time, once the fish has a head start on you it is some times head to turn. Always wet the knots before pulling them tight and not with (saliva) only use water.

7lb main line and 5lb hook length Bruce and Walker hand built Barbel rod 1.3/4 t.c (glass) small rivers

8lb main line and 6lb hook length 1.3/4lb t.c. JW Barbel for rivers like W.Avon

10lb main line and 8lb hook length 11 foot 3 in Tony miles century pulse Barbel big rivers like Thames, Trent

Rick J

I know that he had a point Ratty. I told him that myself...I just didn't appreciate someone blundering in at closing time with all guns blazing and stating the bleeding obvious.

I reckon I'll go down the Braided hooklink and work on tempering my striking approach...Cheers all!

Paul

Paul D, Wrong! wrong on the closing time, I posted this morning at about 7am and very Wrong on still insisting on STRIKING! that is where you are losing the fish, you simply do not need to strike when using a bolt-rig, as I said, it ain't hard to understand or is it?

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

I fully agree that striking is not necessary when using semi-fixed rigs, however I still maintain that doing so should not break healthy 12lb mono with a 1.75lb TC rod.

Incidentally, I dont strike barbel unless I am touch legering.

Paul, I still didnt see you mention anything about the breakage? Did it go at the knot? Did it go on the strike?

I will say it again, get that mono on the testing scales, it dont sound healthy to me bud.

You mention energy dissipating, yet you fail to take into account energy dissipating through the blank itself, as well as via the fish, along with through the mainline via the water itself. Im no expert in the dissipation of energy, but I have never ever heard of a 1.75lb tc rod breaking 12lb mono, no matter how savage the strike, and Ive seen numpties striking weeded tench on 2lb TC rods and 10lb mono with some force. With your setup, unless your knots are bad, or your mono is rotten, the ROD is the weak link.

But, Ive been wrong before and Ill be wrong again...

Darren,

Totally agree with you fella. I'm not even going to bother testing that line, I'll bin it. It's not particularly old (bought for last winters Piking), but I'm not particularly a 'big fish' angler so don't have cause to use that calibre of line much.

Just to clear things up a little. Two of my snap offs were using the Stren. I'll put that down to inexperience...it was simply not up to the job and not down to striking. I didn't.

The one crack off, with the 12lb Mono, I did strike at simply because I wasn't looking at the rod at the time but became aware of a bite, looked around, and the tip was at right angles to the handle. As I said, it took me unawares...happens to everyone....even the fully paid up members of the Barbel Police....Let alone us Time Lords....

Paul

Dear oh dear here we go again!... more junk about rods and line ...

1)Rods don't break.. any rod! A full grown man would have a job breaking one, so nothing in UK freshwater will break one, PERIOD!

2)Every rod, no matter how light it's test curve will stop bending at some point. The further it bends, the more pressure on the line. So once the fish has bent the rod round even close to it's limit, that is the end of the cushion... from that point on all the pressure will be applied on the line. It really is simple maths.

So 15IB braid could just break, but i would imagine in this case knots are obviously the issue.

barblesss:

Rods don't break.. any rod! A full grown man would have a job breaking one, so nothing in UK freshwater will break one, PERIOD!

That's a curious idea! It all depends on the thickness of the blank relative to its diameter and whether it can withstand the flattening distortion of the tube as the rod bends. I've got fly rods that I can bend round in a full circle, but that is because they have a relatively high wall thickness compared to their width. At the other extreme are poles with a very thin wall thickness and large diameter which can take hardly any bending at all before they collapse.

I will grant you that most rods will bend a LOT further than people seem to realise. I take the "give them some stick" approach as well and I've never broken one!