Fluorocarbon or fluoro-nylon co-polymer monos: would you give them another try?

Fluorocarbon or fluoro-nylon co-polymer monos: would you give them another try?

I've been mulling-over whether or not to try fluoro mono (again) for the coming season. I, and I think many other anglers, have had bad experiences with the first rash of fluoro monos and their claimed invisibility in water (not forgetting, of course, that fish can sense them by other means as well!).

Browsing through some of the latest cataloques, especially my brand-new one from BassPro, there seem to be a new wave of fluoros that have been improved etc.

If you've tried and had a bad experience with fluoro monos, which aren't cheap, would you be inclined to give this improved second wave of them another go, a second chance?

From what I can see, they're not going to Vanish without trace :D

DG :confused:

[ 05. June 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Anthony:

Not for me DG. I'll stick with what I know for now, fluorocarbons will have to improve vastly to earn my pennies.

Hmmmh! Anthony, the problem for me at least, is that how do I tell whether they've improved or not, without shelling-out many shekels to buy some and trying it? :confused:

By the way, which one(s) have you tried-out, what problem(s) did you find with the first wave of fluoros? ... and what aspects would you need to see improved? .. you know .. before opening your wallet to buy them again

DG

[ 04. June 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Berkley Vanish as reel line and a couple of hooklength materials, most notably ESP Ghost. Granted, i've only used them in the higher b/s, but I find them very brittle and stiff (ok for certain rigs) and very thick for their breaking strain. I found coiling was a big annoyment with all those i've used.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by Anthony:

Berkley Vanish as reel line and a couple of hooklength materials, most notably ESP Ghost.

Granted, I've only used them in the higher BS, but I find them very brittle and stiff (OK for certain rigs) and very thick for their Breaking Strength. I found coiling was a big annoyance with all those I've used.

Hmmm .. interesting .. many thanks. Vanish was the one I used. Not cheap. Had to be very careful with knots. Had some unexplained snap-offs.

I've never tried Drennan ESP Ghost

Thanks for the warning

DG

[ 04. June 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

I compared a length of Ghost with a length of similar b/s clear Amnesia (for carp rigs). Just couldn't remove the coils from the Ghost where as Amnesia lays flat after just a couple of runs through your fingers. The knot strength was also much more reliable.

I also hung a length of each in a glass of water to find Ghost was just as visable as the Amnesia.

???

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Vanish is trash.

Other fluoro lines I've tried were fine. Some are a little stiffer than I like but they behave well and especially if you need a line that is a natural sinker.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hmmm - Not sure I’d go along with bashing ESP Ghost.

To be honest I’ve found it to be better than most. Yes, you can have problems getting a decent knot strength but other than that I think it’s pretty good. I used it a lot on a gin-clear water where you were fishing for shy feeding carp in depths around 2ft.

I moved of it for a while whilst trying other braided hook links but after a dramatic reduction in takes I moved back and immediately started hitting the fish again. To get it straight you just have to pre-stretch the rig before use. Once you’ve tied the rig, hold solidly at each end using scissor heads or baiting needles or whatever and then gently stretch the rig getting firmer and firmer, then just leave pinned in a rig wallet for an hour or so – job done.

I used the 12lb version at first but was unhappy with the breaking strain I was getting on bench tests so moved up to the 15lb. Using a simple overhand knot I found I was getting around 12lb BS, which I’ve had no problems with. I think the refractive qualities are good as long as you tie new rigs on a regular basis, as soon as you see kinks or pitting (which affects the refractive quality) just change it.

I always have some with me wherever I go!

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

quote:

Originally posted by Julian:

To be honest I’ve found it to be better than most. Julian

Julian, which others have you tried, then?

quote:

I moved of it for a while whilst trying other braided hook links but after a dramatic reduction in takes I moved back and immediately started hitting the fish again. To get it straight you just have to pre-stretch the rig before use. Once you’ve tied the rig, hold solidly at each end using scissor heads or baiting needles or whatever and then gently stretch the rig getting firmer and firmer, then just leave pinned in a rig wallet for an hour or so – job done.

Julian

You're talking purely about using Ghost as a hooklength, then? ... not a fluoro as a main-line?

quote:

I used the 12lb version at first but was unhappy with the breaking strain I was getting on bench tests ..............

Julian

Julian, what BS results were you getting, then, with the bench-test of 12 lb Ghost, and what method do you use?

DG

[ 05. June 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]