Fluorocarbon or fluoro-nylon co-polymer monos: would you give them another try?

Far be it for me to disagree with Julian. Perhaps I got a spool of old stock because this stuff would just not lay right, even with a bit of stretching. And considering the fact that invisability is frankly no better than amnesia, there is a multitude of preferable hooklength options.

Just my opinion but hey, we all have our likes and dislikes.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also found Berkeley Vanish to be unreliable, it is not a true 100% fluorocarbon which might explain some of the problems with it.

I've had no problems at all using Drennan Fluorocarbon Fly leader for barbel fishing in 8lb b/s.

The only other one I've used is Wychwood brand in 6lb which was also OK.

At least 20% crap.

Not sure what specific variety though. Bull maybe? :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Here's a test for you DG, cos I know you love tests.

Set light to some of your lines and see the different reactions, nylon monofilament will burn and continue to burn when the ignition source is removed, fluorocarbon will only burn whilst the ignition source remains in position.

See what happens to Vanish and decide for yourself.

BTW, have you ever thought you are a little obsessed with lines? Why not just find something that works and stick to it until it don't?

quote:

Originally posted by ajp:

..... Berkeley Vanish ...... is not a true 100% fluorocarbon

And here's a direct quote from Berkley themselves:

" Berkley ® Vanish ™ is 100% Fluorocarbon "

DG

[ 06. June 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by ajp:

Why not just find something that works and stick to it until it don't?

and just how sad, boring and unadventurous is that???!!! :rolleyes: ... still that's progress for you :DNOT!

Posted Image

DG

[ 06. June 2004, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

hi DG n all

talking of snap offs n esp ghost,used the stuff to great effect this weekend got smashed on mono,so being clear i used 10lb esp ghost,as others have said its thick,but very good under water does go a little springy-kid gloves needed,i use grinners and knotless knot arrangements,very secure,very happy see i told u its was worth the money!! :P

still must try sufix soon and berkley vanish ive heard good things about that fluro c,good in lower breaking strains i hear?.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Well, there's a lorra, lorra feedback from ratty here:-

quote:

Originally posted by ratty46 and edited by DG :

..... talking of snap-offs, & ESP Ghost, I used the stuff to great effect this weekend ....

.... got smashed on mono (? nylon ?which? - DG ), so ( the water ) being clear, I used 10 lb ESP Ghost; as others have said, it's thick, but very good underwater.

(It) does go a little springy (so) kid gloves (are) needed;

I use Grinners and Knotless knot arrangements; very secure; very happy; see, I told you it was worth the money!! :P

.. still (I) must try Sufix soon and Berkley Vanish; I've heard good things about that fluoro - good in lower breaking strains I hear?.

[ 07. June 2004, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

sorry my typing is bit dodgy i am a cockney so theres my excuse!the mono in question was 6lb bayer perlon,brown in colour and it was carp the culprit,i think my swivels had something to do with it,you see sometimes i use swivels from kinkied traces to make new ones when piking i think some of thses got imixed up with my other bits in bob's when using these swivels i alwasy leave a small tag of wire so i know wich side was attached to the wire,becuase the wire grates on the swivel ever so slighly it doesnt effect the wire but obviously it will go througth nylon probably braid too.i picked up on it in mick browns book on piking.now i know...

is berkley vanish any good in the lower breaking strains ie 2-6lb?? oh n i was after carp clear lake,using in-lines,and boilie/pellet combos.eventaully landed several good fish.result in my book.

stop digging me out!DG :D

[ 07. June 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!