Fluorocarbon or fluoro-nylon co-polymer monos: would you give them another try?

quote:

Originally posted by Cranfield:

I have been bringing a "fluorocarbon coated, copolymer line" back from the US for the last few years and am very impressed with it.

The Manufacturer is P-Line and the product is "P-Line Fluoroclear".

It is virtually invisible in the water, has good knot strength when using the usual knots and casts nicely. This year I have brought back their "X-tra Strong" version to try.

__________________ Posted Image

Heard a lot about P-Lines, mostly good Never used it myself. It's obviously something I ought to try-out. Thanks for the feedback and advice

DG

quote:

I have also been trying Sufix DNA (soon to be renamed "Sufix ProMix"). This has excellent knot strngth, good abrasion resistance, with a very low memory and is superb for casting light lures. It is a "copolymer nylon formula".

___________ Posted Image

I don't know that one! I must check it out ... thanks

DG

quote:

Of course, these products retail for around £3.50 for 400 yard spools, in the US.

I also bought two Shimano Stradics 2500FH,s, cost me £61.25 each, criminal, ain,t it ?

______ Posted Image

Yup, it's rip-off UK for sure :mad:

DG

[ 10. June 2004, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it's fine for using as Trout fly leaders. Nice turn over, less tangles and the knot strength if tied carefully [as should be all knots in any material] is also fine. I use 5lb - 8lb and it's generally the Fulling Mill brand as it tends to be the cheapest.

One of the downsides of the stuff is it doesnt go away or breakdown like ordinary mono! So all the discarded stuff from the minority [?] of litter lout anglers just lays there glinting in the sun giving us a bad name.

Colin

quote:

Originally posted by Colin Brett:

I find it's fine for using as Trout fly leaders. Nice turn over, less tangles and the knot strength if tied carefully [as should be all knots in any material] is also fine.

Colin

By it, I take it that you mean PVDF fluorocarbon-polymer based lines ? .... as opposed to hybrid co-polymers of fluoro and nylon etc?

DG

quote:

I use 5lb - 8lb and it's generally the Fulling Mill brand as it tends to be the cheapest.

Colin

Hmm, nice ... I like the best to be the cheapest ...see, it is possible, guys n gals

___________ Posted Image

BTW this is a Coarse Fishing Forum, but I guess mentioning fluorocarbons was bound to creat a nice overlap between the two kinds of methods

DG

quote:

One of the downsides of the stuff is it doesn't go away or breakdown like ordinary mono!

Colin

I guess you mean ordinary nylon monofilament , because of course, fluorocarbon is a monofilament too?

Anyway, peeps who keep trying to kid me and themselves that ordinary nylon monos last for years, please note Colin's comments!

BTW, re: fluorocarbon monos, there are only a very few manufacturers in the world , so you have to watch-out for label-egineering .... different brand labels on exactly the same PVDF fluoro line

DG

[ 10. June 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

Originally posted by RUDD:

I use ESP Ghost and have never had a problem with in in 12lb breaking strain. It has also outfished all other hooklengths for me on the waters I fish.

Rudd

Which other hooklengths, as a matter of interest?

DG

Sorry for delay DG

I was also using nash silkweed, dacron and amnesia.

This year I am going to give snakeskin a go.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

well th esp ghost may not fool old chevin but it definetly fooled the barbel...stronger than i thought too,snakeskin?is that by kryston? im still yet to pick up some sufix, shops got it £9.99! it better be good!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

The Diamond Geezer:

Anyway, peeps who keep trying to kid me and themselves that ordinary nylon monos last for years, please note Colin's comments!          

DG

There's a big difference in storing it in a fridge until required and leaving it on the bank permanently exposed to the elements..... :P