Fluorocarbon or fluoro-nylon co-polymer monos: would you give them another try?

Guest sslatter

DG: "Fluorocarbon or fluoro-nylon co-polymer monos: would you give them another try?"

No, not unless they were free samples.

Saw a mulleteer a couple of weeks ago, who last year was raving about fluorocarbon leaders. He gave me a length. Let me rephrase that.. :D He gave me some to try. The way he rigged it up, it looked like fishing with nylon guitar string as a hooklength. I couldn't see the point. When I mentioned this to him recently, he looked a bit sheepish and muttered words to the effect of:

"I wouldn't use that so-and-so rubbish anymore."

I can't remember what the brand was etc.. too much info.. too many years.. :D

So, DG, it would have to become appreciably better and more advantageous than my normal Berkley to get me to try it again.

[ 07. June 2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Limited experience as I use normal nylon for the mainline and braid or maxima clear for the hook lengths. However I never fish with anything other than tapered copolymer for fly fishing, point strength anything from 2lb for small trout to 16.5lb for salmon. I have total faith in the leaders and have not been let down yet. I use fluoro carbon for saltwater/pike fly leader but have never hook anything large enough to really test them, although smash takes from high single figure pike have tested them to a degree. I use Riverge Grandmax plus a wire trace for pike.

quote:

Originally posted by ratty46:

the mono in question was 6lb bayer perlon, brown in colour and it was carp the culprit;

I think my swivels had something to do with it,you see sometimes i use swivels from kinkied traces to make new ones when piking i think some of thses got imixed up with my other bits in bob's when using these swivels i alwasy leave a small tag of wire so i know wich side was attached to the wire,becuase the wire grates on the swivel ever so slighly it doesnt effect the wire but obviously it will go througth nylon probably braid too.i picked up on it in mick browns book on piking.now i know...

Hmmm ... maybe you're being a tad unfair to Perlon because if your swivels are knackered, even fluoro won't save you in the medium-term :rolleyes:

quote:

is berkley vanish any good in the lower breaking strains ie 2-6lb?? oh n i was after carp clear lake,using in-lines,and boilie/pellet combos.eventaully landed several good fish.result in my book.

I've never used Vanish in anything less than 10 lb Breaking Strength, so can't comment on the lower BSs, I'm fraid. Sorry.

I'm sure though that other AN Forumers have ........

DG

quote:

Originally posted by malevans:

Limited experience as I use normal nylon for the mainline and braid or maxima clear for the hook lengths. However I never fish with anything other than tapered copolymer for fly fishing, point strength anything from 2lb for small trout to 16.5lb for salmon. I have total faith in the leaders and have not been let down yet. I use fluoro carbon for saltwater/pike fly leader but have never hook anything large enough to really test them, although smash takes from high single figure pike have tested them to a degree. I use Riverge Grandmax plus a wire trace for pike.

Thanks for that info. Very interesting. By coincidence, I've just read an article about leaders .. I'll dig it out again ... I'm fairly certain Riverge was there!

DG

quote:

Originally posted by Graham X:

DG: "Fluorocarbon or fluoro-nylon co-polymer monos: would you give them another try?"

No, not unless they were free samples.

Saw a mulleteer a couple of weeks ago, who last year was raving about fluorocarbon leaders. He gave me a length. Let me rephrase that.. :D He gave me some to try. The way he rigged it up, it looked like fishing with nylon guitar string as a hooklength. I couldn't see the point. When I mentioned this to him recently, he looked a bit sheepish and muttered words to the effect of:

"I wouldn't use that so-and-so rubbish anymore."

I can't remember what the brand was etc.. too much info.. too many years.. :D

So, DG, it would have to become appreciably better and more advantageous than my normal Berkley to get me to try it again.

Thanks v muchly for your input, Graham; always much appreciated. I agree about never saying never, because that was the main point of this thread .. i.e. are we prepared to forgive & forget the 1st generation of fluoros, and to give the second wave of improved ones a try?

BTW, which Berkley is your normal line??

DG

[ 07. June 2004, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

the mono in question was 6lb bayer perlon, brown in colour and it was carp the culprit;

I think my swivels had something to do with it,you see sometimes i use swivels from kinkied traces to make new ones when piking i think some of thses got imixed up with my other bits in bob's when using these swivels i alwasy leave a small tag of wire so i know wich side was attached to the wire,becuase the wire grates on the swivel ever so slighly it doesnt effect the wire but obviously it will go througth nylon probably braid too.i picked up on it in mick browns book on piking.now i know...

Hmmm ... maybe you're being a tad unfair to Perlon because if your swivels are knackered, even fluoro won't save you in the medium-term   :rolleyes:  

quote:

is berkley vanish any good in the lower breaking strains ie 2-6lb?? oh n  i was after carp clear lake,using in-lines,and boilie/pellet combos.eventaully landed several good fish.result in my book.

I've never used Vanish in anything less than 10 lb Breaking Strength, so can't comment on the lower BSs, I'm fraid. Sorry.

I'm sure though that other AN Forumers have ........

DG

true i probably am had no probs before,had to sit downand think about it,but like i said i now know what the problem was.i did at irst think it was to weak or possibly damaged.im almost 100% sure the swivelswere at thought i gotmy lead back so it wasnt my main line.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Guest sslatter

The Diamond Geezer:

BTW, which Berkley is your normal line??

DG

Heh.. yes, good question. At the moment I've got Trilene Sensation (clear/white) XL (clear/white) and Big Game (clay) all in 6lb b.s., rigged-up on three different float setups. My favourite is definitely the clay-coloured Big Game. The most "invisible" of the lot IMO.

[Me a "line tart"? Never!] :D

All the best.

[ 08. June 2004, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

quote:

Originally posted by Graham X:

At the moment I've got Trilene Sensation (clear/white) XL (clear/white) and Big Game (clay) all in 6 lb b.s., rigged-up on three different float setups. My favourite is definitely the clay-coloured Big Game. The most "invisible" of the lot IMO.

[Me a "line tart"? Never!] :D

All the best.

Thanks for that info, G

Good choices of lines there, IMHO

... and there's nowt tarty about keeping abreast of the times and technology to make-sure that the single most important part of your tackle is the best there is

I mean, how cranky am I about lines? :D ..it's just that I can't abide bullsh or being ripped-off. IMHO when it comes to lines, ignorance may be bliss, (and since when did it become a point of view? :confused: :rolleyes: ) but it doesn't do the fish any favours -- fish-care first, me!

VIVE wet knot Breaking Strength!

... all the rest is cojones :D ..eh, Capt C?

DG

[ 08. June 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

In reply to DG:

Yup. I was talking about using Ghost just as hook length. Have tried many others (given as samples) in the past but all were rough and can’t really remember names – have been using the ESP stuff for 4 years or so.

On 12lb BS I was getting around 8lb knot strength so moved up to the 15 which gave me about 12lb – fine for the situation.

In reply to Anthony;

Disagree whenever you like mate! That’s what it’s all about; input from all. At the end of the day, if you didn’t like the stuff there’s no point using it. Confidence is everything when fishing so it always pay’s to use end tackle you’re happy with.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!