A tentative step into kayaking

Houseplant

As I'm about to move down to Devon, I'm very tempted to get a kayak. I probably know the answer to this, but is there a cheap/easy way of getting started before comitting to a £600 purchase? I was thinking of an inflatable kayak.

Failing that, can someone give me a good starter model. I've found loads of threads/websites reviewing kayaks, but no definitive recommendations. As a newbie, I'm thinking the most desirable feature is stability!

Thanks very much

Andrew

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

I've just started too Andrew - had my first paddle on Saturday!

I live in Devon and so went to AS Watersports in Exeter for some advise. They did me a great deal on a Manta Ray 12, threw in some extras like a paddle and discounted me a trolley too.

The Manta Ray is very stable, I had trouble tipping it to practise a deep water self-rescue, and is supposed to be quite fast for a sit-on-top. It's got tons of space (I can stow my Ctug trolley in the front hatch), a decent seat and lots of things that I have no idea what they are, but I assume I will when I get fishing!

I looked at some other kayaks and then did some research and asked on here. It came down to the Tarpon V Manta Ray and the Manta won.

Drop me a line when you get down here if you want.

Good luck

Steve

I would wait until some of the older models are going second hand. You can pick one up with many extras for pretty cheap. The new line of Ocean Kayaks is supposed to be available in the UK in July. Should be quite a few. I wish I would have waited for the new line. :) But I was pretty excited to get started myself.

New OK Line

Taken originally from here.

There is also a thread about the inflatables mostly with undesirable attributes. I would avoid them. I thought the same about stability but I haven't had any problems with it yet. Easy to master.

Added: You never said what type of kayak you were after. I just assumed you were after a sit on top to fish from. Necky has a mid range sit in type probably not for fishing..

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

thanks for the replies and the offer steve. i assume i'm looking for a sit-on-top. at the moment, can't see myself getting far offshore, maybe even staying within casting range. mainly want to get away from the feather casting hordes.

should also say that i'm a scuba diver and have range of wetsuits/drysuits.

cheers

andrew

Personaly I wouldnt buy second hand as the prices rarely reflect previous use! It remains to be seen if the new OK models will see a flood of yaks on the market but in these difficult economic times I doubt it. For light inshore work , in low tidal areas I'd perhaps look at something like a Drifter , tarpon 120 or Caper , excellent yaks which should hold their value if you decide to upgrade in the future .

PS I definitely wouldnt venture down the inflatable route

Edited by Martin Hurst

Ok Prowler 13

Don't know if it's of any use but I'll be running a demo weekend at Mudeford in Dorset in conjunction with Crazy Water and Ocean Kayaks

26th-27th July---the full Ocean Kayaks range will be there to try with a few rigged out models to drool over B)

my tip: try as many as you can before you buy anything ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

As I'm about to move down to Devon, I'm very tempted to get a kayak. I probably know the answer to this, but is there a cheap/easy way of getting started before comitting to a £600 purchase? I was thinking of an inflatable kayak.

Failing that, can someone give me a good starter model. I've found loads of threads/websites reviewing kayaks, but no definitive recommendations. As a newbie, I'm thinking the most desirable feature is stability!

Thanks very much

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Give me a shout when you get down here I live in Exeter and own a Prowler15 which I swear on, you are most welcome to come and have a look to pick my brains (what they is left of it) :-)

Manrock i hope you first trip went well I am always up for a paddle with a little notice just leave me a message or if you want i can PM my e-mail to you.

ChrisW

thanks chris. i may well take you up on that. i'll be living in st leonards, exeter, a stone's throw from the exe. would be keen to try coarse fishing from a kayak too :)

richi, thanks, but i'll be in away on holiday then.

andrew