Drove over this on a recnt trip to spain

JV44

The guide we went with thought we were mad for driving all the way down through France into Spain to go catfishing but this was the reason.

190508003.jpg

190508007.jpg

190508006.jpg

190508001.jpg

190508002.jpg

It is the tallest road bridge in the world at 295 metres from the valley floor to the road hight and when you see it in the flesh you cannot believe that they even attempted to put a bridge across such a large deep valley.

As a feat of engineering it is one of the wonders of the modern world Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

That does look like a huge feat in engineering.. No fear of heights here. So did you catch anything? :D

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Great photos. I recall a thread on this forum a few years ago discussing whether or not the bridge was necessary, given the terrain. What was your impression - would switchbacks have been a better alternative?

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Great photos. I recall a thread on this forum a few years ago discussing whether or not the bridge was necessary, given the terrain. What was your impression - would switchbacks have been a better alternative?

We stayed in a campsite in Milau itself right next to the river in the bottom of the valley and talking to some locals in a local bar they said that they were all against the bridge because they thought that all the traffic that used to come through the town[major bottleneck] and any trade they brought would be lost and the town would suffer.

In reality it is now a tourist atraction and they all make more money because of it,It used to take up to 3 hours to fight your way down the valley into milau and up the other side so i would say it is well worth the building of the bridge[completed on time and to budget Olympic planers listen!!!] and all the roads in france put ours to shame not that thats difficult[pothole wise].

Switchbacks may have been cheaper but the locals are now very happy that they didnt go that route Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

That does look like a huge feat in engineering.. No fear of heights here. So did you catch anything? :D

The Ebro was in major flood and one area we wanted to fish was 12` with that village flooded.

We managed cats of 126lb 104lb 78lb 60lb 50lb and 25lb in terrible conditions and the guide well earned his money.

All the fish fell to live carp and the big one pulled the boat at least a mile what a scrap in those conditions still buzzing,My mate hadnt been before so his face was a picture as he couldnt believe the power of those lower Ebro fish.

He had never caught one before and he opened his account with a 104lber and then to add insult to injury he took the bigun to.

Will post pics when he Emails them to me,Love the lower Ebro more room far more beautiful boat fishing with lives proper fishing,The fish are not as big as higher up but they havent got a suntan either just my 2 pence worth steve.

i've got/had some excellent pics of that when the valley was filled with fog and just the tops of the supports showing.If i find them i'll put them up. i sent them to Chris so maybe he still has them.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Ii must be one of the few bridges in the world that has it's own web site. Some good pics. BTW designed by BRITISH architects.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Damn - I thought you were going to ask us to name the species of a squashed animal.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.