spanish sea fish query

tony tinca

Back from spain later today but whilst here in nerja ive noticed alot of beach anglers and they often catch small fish like dorados or something similar (im not sure on what they are )

But whilst having a meal on a beachfront resturaunt i noticed alot of shouting and saw a guy playing something alot bigger , itching to get away from the table to have a closer look i scoffed my food down left my wife at the table and wandered over to the angler who 20 minutes later was still getting nowhere with this fish and he was getting very tired.

He was telling me from what i could gather from my limited spanish that he was using a spinner of some kind and that the fish had took off into the distance as he pointed well out to sea .

I could see that his gear was very basic and the reel had no cranking power to it and that he had a lot of line to get back , but i was so wanting to see what it could be as it was putting a big bend on the rod and it looked like strong line from what i could make out .

He looked at me and puffed exhaustedly and i offered to take over for a bit but he laughed and said no and continued his battle , im no sea fisherman but even i could see he wasnt pumping the rod but just cranking the handle and making it hard work to get any line back as well as putting a huge strain on the reel that was not sounding to great .

Anyway im glad he didnt let me take over as a few minutes later there was a terrible noise as the reel literally fell apart followed shortly by the dreaded CRAAACK! and the battle was over :( .

I was as upset as the angler holding the rod because i was so eager to see what could have put up such a fight .

My guesses are only going by what was on the local menus and these are

Swordfish ( didnt see anything huge jump out the water)

Hake

Gilthead bream ( which id just finished eating at the time)

Monkfish

Tuna

Turbot

What fish does anyone think it could have been ?.

Nerja is southern spain if that helps

Edited by tony tinca

I once saw a massive Mackerel of some sort well within noddy casting range. That looked about five or six pounds and would have taken some getting in. Unfortunately it didn't seem too interested in bread. I've no idea what species it was, it looked for all the world like a normal mackerel but just enormous!

I used to fish Nerja and only ever used to catch Annular Bream (or other closely related species), Painted Wrasse and Comber, but there where reputed to be Barracuda, Grouper (Mero), and Leerfish (Palometa) any of these would be big enough to be the fish you describe. There are also Shark, Tuna and other beasties in the med that could pull the old wire as well.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I used to fish Nerja and only ever used to catch Annular Bream (or other closely related species), Painted Wrasse and Comber, but there where reputed to be Barracuda, Grouper (Mero), and Leerfish (Palometa) any of these would be big enough to be the fish you describe. There are also Shark, Tuna and other beasties in the med that could pull the old wire as well.

Tony

When i was snorkling last year here i saw what i thought was a grouper (big black fish ).

It seems from the replies that the fish dont have to be huge to pull the rod round and break heavy line , i was estimating it at being over 50lb the way the rod went :rolleyes: , but ive never cast a line in salt water let alone hooked anything

Edited by tony tinca

I once saw a massive Mackerel of some sort well within noddy casting range. That looked about five or six pounds and would have taken some getting in. Unfortunately it didn't seem too interested in bread. I've no idea what species it was, it looked for all the world like a normal mackerel but just enormous!

http://www.mmm.pri.ee/pages/blog/print.php?id=124

That will probally have been a Melva Colin. They get to around 50/60cm here, and sometimes come close in to rocks to chase small fish. They had some in the supermarket today, which is unusual, so they must be about as they dont keep well.

Re the fish at Nerja, could be a big leerfish as Tony said (golfo is our local name for them), or even a shark. Ive seen a few magazine articles about shark fishing from the beaches in that area, but they were all on about night fishing.

http://www.mmm.pri.ee/pages/blog/print.php?id=124

That will probally have been a Melva Colin. They get to around 50/60cm here, and sometimes come close in to rocks to chase small fish. They had some in the supermarket today, which is unusual, so they must be about as they dont keep well.

Re the fish at Nerja, could be a big leerfish as Tony said (golfo is our local name for them), or even a shark. Ive seen a few magazine articles about shark fishing from the beaches in that area, but they were all on about night fishing.

Thanks for that. I've just found some photos of that fish under the name Atlantic Bonito and I reckon that is probably what I saw. I also read that some were landed into Mevagissey last summer!

Edited by ColinW

Taste nice. :)

Yes, Pimientos del piquillo con melva, mmmmm.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks for that. I've just found some photos of that fish under the name Atlantic Bonito and I reckon that is probably what I saw. I also read that some were landed into Mevagissey last summer!

Thanks everyone

Its funny but ive got a game on my iphone called flick fishing and nearly all the fish on the game have been mentioned in these posts as a possible suspect to the lost fish :)

Yes, Pimientos del piquillo con melva, mmmmm.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are not wrong. :lol:

They were 6.50€/Kilo (whole fish) in the super.....

Edited by captain cojones