Fishery

Jeff S

I ran across what I think was a carp fishery between York and Harrogate yesterday. It was lined with fisherman with no cover (trees and shrubs) The "ponds" were no more than 40 meters wide and maybe 100 meters long. Needless to say I wasn't impressed.

I've seen similiar things in the states where they have trout fishing indoors in a kiddie pool. Maybe even more like big game ranches in the midwest where you can shoot trophy Elk. All you have to do is get the guide to drive you to the herd and pick out the one you want.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't fish it nor would I support such a thing. Seems a bit unsportsman like if you ask me. Does anyone know the average cost of a day ticket at one of these ultimate fishing experience locations?

Each to his own I guess.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Probably about £6-8 I'd guess. Money well spent.....Not!

Paul

Dvarcet, On Friday I went to a lake that was also lined with anglers, mostly in bivvies. Slightly bigger than 40yds x 100yds though, this was about 15 acres.

Next to it was another lake, long and narrow, also lined with anglers; this was a bit smaller than the first, only 6 acres.

Both artificially stocked, they were gravel pits.

My point? its only a question of scale, some like large lakes and some like small and some like me will fish anywhere that takes my fancy, in fact the most densely stocked lake I have fished was an old estate lake stuffed with small (1-6lbs) wild carp which had bred naturally.

Tinca, perhaps those fishing there feel it is money well spent, and if it makes them happy, why not. I have had some really enjoyable days on some of the Essex carp puddles, medium pole, no12 elastic and catching fish all day long.

There was a time just after some of the gravel pits in the Darenth Valley were stocked with carp that it was possible with a little bit of savvy, to catch 10 or 12 good sixed carp every day. Particularly at Horton Kirby.

Many of the pundits condemned it but as one of the first to get in on the act I "filled my boots" and caught loads. Of course within a couple of years anyone who was anyone, and a few who thought they were someone :D , was fishing there.

Taking the argument a bit further, would you also not fish heavily stocked stretches of river?

There are some parts of the Kennet and Severn that used to be stuffed with barbel, blokes I knew and read about would boast of the fabulous fishing, bags of 20fish a session, is that also unsporting?

Could you define the line in angling beyond which it actually becomes unsporting.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I get your point Den. Each to his own including opinions. What I should have mentioned was preference.

I prefer to fish in places where I can’t hear vehicles, kids screaming, people cursing and the occasional mobile or pager going off. I prefer to fish where I can think or not think if I so choose. I enjoy casting to places where there might be a fish, not where I know there’s a fish. (they wouldn’t call it fishing they would call it catching). It’s great catching but it’s also great leaving the swim perplexed and wondering what I could have done different or what I might try next time.

These mud holes that I happened across appeared to be equal in length with equal banks in between. Assuming I have the right terminology, a pole of the right length just might poke the bloke in front of you in the back of the head. Trees? There weren’t any for at least half a mile.

IMHO it’s not about how many you catch or if you catch at all. It’s everything that goes along with it such as birds lighting around your feet, watching mink harass pheasants, or fox running the banks on the other side.

I think your right about scale, but where our opinions differ is by concentrating so many fish in one place in the hope to make a profit. Is it morally acceptable? Apparently it is.

Maybe a sportsman is defined by what we expect out of each experience. Maybe it’s acceptable in some places to hold pike by their eyes like ten pin bowling, or ripping a treble out of a fish. Like I saw this morning on a certain fishing show. If you stock a river, lake, or canal with enough fish are you guaranteed to catch fish? Probably not. How many times can a fish be caught and released in the same condition it was caught under these conditions? Seems to me the quality would deteriorate over time. So are we talking about preference, profit or fish welfare?

My hypocrisy only goes so far. I’d have to define that line as profit.

Ultimately it’s fun to fish but being responsible about it is another thing entirely.

Jeff

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Near me, there is a fishery known as "The Hole in the Ground" because that is exactly what it is, about 20' deep and roughly circular, about 400m all the way round and utterly featureless-both in and out the water. Yet people still fish it.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

poledark:

My point?  its only a question of scale, some like large lakes and some like small and some like me will fish anywhere that takes my fancy

Den

I agree with this point, but I feel that many modern anglers who only fish this way are missing out. They should try a river or natural lake, they might like it.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

when living in folkestone a friend and i fished many tiny ponds found on the ordnance survay map of the area , most farmers said on being approached in a chuckling way "there baint no fish in there , but you welcome to try" and went away to tell the wife of these funny "strangers" from bigtown. most of them DID have fish and good ones at that in tiny overgrown ponds , these pond in times gone past (look at tythe maps) were much bigger and a farmers asset he not only watered himself but his cattle and horses from them , water from the mains has changed this and now they have been neglected or used as a dump , look for yourself at a large scale map of your area theres hundreds , times have changed even in the thirty years since we did it and i expect the chuckles have gone to be replaced with "get of moi land" bring back the gentler times please

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Den, I agree, to a point, with what you're saying as I very much advocate 'each to their own' as they say. What I meant in my post though was that I thought £6-8 was not good value in my book. I am currently a member of four fishing associations and (apart from 'joining fees' for which I cannot see a justification....but that is another issue) and I feel I get excellent value out of each of them. However, if I were not a member of a club and hence unable to fish their waters without further monetary outly then I would consider paying that much for a single days fishing very, very expensive. Never mind even mentioning the aesthetics of such waters.

Besides, I wouldn't have a clue how to fish one 'properly' having never owned a pole.

Paul

IMHO the fact that so many anglers are willing and happy to sit and fish a featureless "hole in the ground" as long as they can catch fish fairly easily, and regularly is a symptom of "modern life". By this I mean that most people want to be entertained and not have to "work" at their pleasures.

To my mind this is the main difference between most river and still-water anglers. I am not for one minute knocking those among us who want to fish the puddles it is at the end of the day a matter of what suits one does not suit everybody.

I also think that one is no more right than the other.

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.

Tinca61:

(apart from 'joining fees' for which I cannot see a justification....but that is another issue)  

Joining fees can be useful to ensure that members renew their subs on time. Anyone who doesn't then has to pay a joining/rejoining fee.

I charge a joining fee on my syndicates at Wingham for a differrent reason. It's a way of keeping the subs down.

Some of my members have been with me for years and rarely (in one case never!)fish the water. They've joined for the future when the fish are fully grown, and the waiting list is likely to be longer than it is now.

Others chose to wait until recently to join, and it seems only fair that they pay more than the members who've supported me for many years when the fish were smaller.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net