Wingham Tips

Hi all,

I was just hoping to get some generic tips for Wingham put together here so that newbies like myself can have something to think about when selecting what kit to take and what tactics to be thinking about. All styles of fishing are welcome and all species considered.

I myself will be hoping to focus on the tench and the perch. My biggest tench I have caught was actually the first I ever caught at 4 and a half pounds and so I am hoping to break this pb. Perch wise I have never had one bigger than my hand so anything would be good.

I am planning to float fish during the day and ledger/feeder at night.

Hope some of you wingham veterans can shed some light on what has worked for you in the past without giving away too many of your secrets. I know there will be many secret squirrels lol.

Cheers

Rik

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it simple!

For float fishing I'd look to fish at the bottom of the marginal shelf near to any additional cover like an overhanging tree or reeds. Worms and maggots will catch you Tench and Perch.

For feeder fishing standard feeder tactics will work so if you're more comfortable with that then don't worry but the Method with hair rigged corn has produced well for me over the years, the key here is choosing the right spots in the swim and fishing accurately. Steve, the bailiffs or one of the members should be able to help you there and I'll leave you my plumbing rod if necessary. Don't be afraid to ask for help they're a friendly bunch!

Avoid method feeders that are too light like some of the match carp types or you won't get a good bolt effect, something between 1oz and 1.5oz is about right.

Bait wise, don't fill it in initially. I usually mix up a two kilo bag of groundbait per day and lace it with free offerings - it doesn't all necessarily get used! This can then be introduced gradually by the feeders or catapult, or if the fish are really getting their heads down and you want a carpet of bait then use the spod. I don't think many of the members would spod more than once a day though. Personally I've always done better with the catapult than the spod but that really is a personal preference.

Edited by Rob Ward

I know there will be many secret squirrels lol.

I can assure you Rik that that is the one thing we don't have among the Coarse Syndicate Rik! You will find that all the members who will be there over the weekend (be they AN members as well or not) will gladly pass on all they know to guests.

Its one thing that I will allways remember from my first visits there.At the time I thought how nice it was that these guys (who pay a lot of money to fish there) were not only happy to "lose" a weekends fishing to a load of non paying anglers but also help all of these visitors catch fish!

As I often say its simply not all about the fish at Wingham.

Despite the size of the fish there the actual (well technical side at least) fishing isn't that complicated. You will not have to worry to much about location as each guest is shown his swim by Steve,a bailiff or a member and given a full "briefing" on where has proven best in the past. This gives you a good starting point although we hope that you will all try something a bit different to what we do just to see!

When Steve sends his "questionnaire" to all successful guests he asks what species you would prefer to target and what methods your are happiest to use.This helps put you in the best swim for you.

When asked what method I allways think its best if you use a suitable method that you are confident/familiar with.Obviously trotting an Avon with a centrepin wont be a good idea but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Its well worth bringing an extra rod set up with a simple marker float/feature finder set up as well.I say this as it helps you to bait up and fish to any features that are pointed out to you.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Some good info and advice there straight off the bat. I am planning to float fish the margins for most of the day using a variety of bait, but definetly worms for some of it, while feeding another two swims ready for the night when I will drop a feeder or ledger into them and cross my fingers.

Thanks again for the kind offer Rob. I will make a list today of the items I will be wanting to take with me to cover any eventuality and if there is anything missing I will give you a shout. The two rods you mentioned yesterday will come in handy for sure. I know that I can get hold of one but not sure if I can get another yet. Most of the other rods I have are not really suited to the style of fishing I am wanting to do apart from my float setup.

What are marginal depths like? Is there a sharp or gradual drop off in the majority of swims or are all vastly different?

When asked what method I allways think its best if you use a suitable method that you are confident/familiar with.Obviously trotting an Avon with a centrepin wont be a good idea but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Good advice, when I started fishing at Wingham I did used to wonder was I fishing in the correct style :D Should I be sending spods far in to the horizon, were my hook lengths too long, too short, was I using the right bait.

After a few visits I quickly settled in to a style of fishing I was comfortable with. I am not sure there is a right way to fish Wingham. All the advice on finding spots, features and feeding is very useful, but to the mechanics of what tackle to use whether it be specific rigs, certain feeders, floats, PVA bags, Dynamite sticks etc I don't think it matters all will work. For what it's worth, I tend to use running feeders during the day and in to night and switch over to mini bolt rigs late at night and switch back to running rigs early morning.

So as Budgie said if you have confidence in a method of fishing, I can't see why it should not work at Wingham and have to admit I have given some thought to using a centre pin for Tench in swims with deep margins but so far have not given it ago.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

So as Budgie said if you have confidence in a method of fishing, I can't see why it should not work at Wingham and have to admit I have given some thought to using a centre pin for Tench in swims with deep margins but so far have not given it ago.

I gave it a go a few years ago at a fish-in. I didn't catch anything :) but the mechanics of it worked out just fine. casting was a little difficult in water so deep though. (I had 8' of water under the rod tip). any deeper and you'd probably need some sort of slider float.

Mat

Edited by Mat Hillman

Mat

I have to be honest and admit to wanting to bring the pin. I would love to not only beat by tench or perch pb but by doing it on the pin would make it even more special for me lol.

I gave it a go a few years ago at a fish-in. I didn't catch anything :) but the mechanics of it worked out just fine. casting was a little difficult in water so deep though. (I had 8' of water under the rod tip). any deeper and you'd probably need some sort of slider float.

Mat

I have tried slider floats, it's a good way to tackle the deep swims with a float but after a while I drifted in to using Polaris floats as I liked the fact that the bait stayed in the same spot despite wind or undertow and it's easy to put the rod on to an alarm for those times when you want to route around in the bivy or make a brew.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I have to be honest and admit to wanting to bring the pin. I would love to not only beat by tench or perch pb but by doing it on the pin would make it even more special for me lol.

Since I bought a Marco Cortesi PIN a few months back I have had an itch about trying it for Tench or Perch at Wingham. I even have a swim in mind that Steve put me in on my first AN-Fish In with deep margins. For me it would need to be deep margins as my casting with a PIN is pants :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Since I bought a Marco Cortesi PIN a few months back I have had an itch about trying it for Tench or Perch at Wingham. I even have a swim in mind that Steve put me in on my first AN-Fish In with deep margins. For me it would need to be deep margins as my casting with a PIN is pants :D

lol there is nothing as good as practise though. I have so many ideas flying around my head for wingham lol. I found it difficult to sleep last night lol.