Wingham Tips

Plenty of us float fish just for the fun of it at Wingham.If your up to concentrating on a slider float for periods of time then go for it! Bottom of the marginal slope is easily castable to with a pin in most swims and as good a "feature" as most to fish to.

Most years the AN fish in comes before all the smaller perch/rudd/roach switch on so is a viable method for the bigger fish. Worm on the hook with loose fed maggots is allways a winner for the bigger perch and Ive no doubt steady feeding will soon bring the tench in.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are marginal depths like? Is there a sharp or gradual drop off in the majority of swims or are all vastly different?

The swims vary in depth, but 8 to 10 feet at the bottom of the marginal shelf is typical. The slope also varies, but is usually steep, occasionally near vertical. These vertical swims are particularly good for 3lb+ perch. In the deeper swims a slider would make sense, but if you're not happy fishing one just let me know and I'll put you in a shallower swim.

As Budgie said we have no secrets at Wingham. In fact the vast majority of the Coarse Lake night syndicate belong to the Wingham Specimen Group. This has but 1 rule - all information must be shared. It may be old-fashioned, but it's meant we've all learned, and all caught more and bigger fish as a result.

I definitely agree with your plan to use animal baits, especially lobworm, during the day, as otherwise you'll have no chance of catching 3lb+ perch, of which we always have several each fish-in. Lobs have also got me a lot of my biggest Wingham tench, whilst they also love maggots too. It's rare that they won't take one or other.

The main difference in the tactics used by members is the amount of groundbait. I go along with those who prefer to bait lightly at first - after all you can always add more but you can't take it away. In fact, I'd be interested to see how a match approach to feeding scores at Wingham. Specimen hunters may be better than match anglers at location, but we're usually way behind at feeding.

However everyone agrees that it's vital to put feed in the right place. In fact the single most important factor at Wingham is feeding and casting to the right spot. That's why margin fishing, as long as you're quiet, is so effective at Wingham as it's a lot easier to be accurate in the margins.

The sheer size of the place can be daunting, but if you ignore all but the closer areas it gets a lot smaller! In fact it's then a similar size to waters that many posters will be familiar with, and what's more all the swims I peg out in the Fish-in produce in the margins.

If you want to know, either the bailiffs, members or I will be happy to point out known hotspots.

As an example as to why fishing in the right spot is so important I'd add that I've recently been fishing a new swim with very little form. I've found 1 hot area, and barely had a fish elsewhere. Recently I went out in the boat with long poles to prod around, and found another very interesting spot. Later that day I met up with Dave Davies who's one of the few who's also fished that swim. He'd too found just one productive spot. Interestingly it was the one I'd just located with the poles! What's more it was only about a rod length away from where I'd had not a sniff on the any of the previous trips.

Again, when Anderoo had his mega catch of 66 tench I seem to recall that 2 of his rods produced little or nothing. Perhaps a good job in this case as with all those tench he was a wreck by the end of the session!

So perhaps the biggest bit of advice I can give you apart from fishing the margins is that if you're not catching try a different spot in the swim. It can make an absolutely huge difference. And it all suggests putting little feed in at first in case it goes in the wrong place.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

lol there is nothing as good as practise though. I have so many ideas flying around my head for wingham lol. I found it difficult to sleep last night lol.

Just as much as AN members new to Wingham may want to know how syndicate members fish, we are just as interested in how some one new might choose to fish. We can all pick up useful tips from each other. Some one attending for the first time may try something different that may turn out to be very interesting and as Steve posted in another Wingham thread often new people at Wingham do well. My other half had a 3-14lb Perch at last years Fish-In with in half an hour of arriving at the bank after ignoring all my helpful hints :rolleyes:

In fact some of the best catches come to Wingham virgins!

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I have so many ideas flying around my head for wingham lol. I found it difficult to sleep last night lol.

And Rik IMO that is the hardest thing about fishing Wingham! There are just so many options! What to fish for? How to fish? Where to fish! :D

I can fish there when ever I want and it still drives me mad! You could spend best part of a life time on the water it has so many options.

The second hardest thing is to actually get your arse in gear and fish as the place has a way of just lulling you into such a relaxed mood! For a lot of us just being there is enough!

Cant ever guarantee what you will catch but allways that you will enjoy.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for that Steve. Again very useful advice. My plan is growing slowly in my head while I am working. I am thinking that saturday day will be spent targetting the tench and perch and maybe large roach if any are in the area on the float in the margins using either of the following:

-Chopped worm and maggot mix as attractant cupped in with the pole and large lob on the hook. (possibly add pred plus)

-Maggot fed little and often with varying numbers/colours on the hook.

-Another swim to other side fed with sweet groundbait and scopex soaked corn on the hook (my favourite for tench and bream).

Those are my ideas for now. Feeder wise for the night It is all up in the air at the moment and will require a little more thought at this stage.

What line would you recommend for the float? I currently use 6lb main to a 4lb bottom on a 13ft match rod.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

The second hardest thing is to actually get your arse in gear and fish as the place has a way of just lulling you into such a relaxed mood! For a lot of us just being there is enough!

Cant ever guarantee what you will catch but allways that you will enjoy.

I think that could be my problem budgie. Relaxation is such a big part of my fishing. I cant abide a busy pond or lake or noisy surroundings. I like to relax, fish and enjoy my surroundings at the same time and wingham does look like a magical place to be. Especially the pictures of mist in the the morning and the sunsets. I have a friend coming down with me (thanks Steve) and he wont be fishing although he is an angler and he said it really looks like a once in a lifetime place. Although I think I will be making it my aim not to go just once lol. He will be happy to just be there and hopefully see me bring out some amazing fish.

We are both particularly excited about the tench and perch as to our knowledge there just arent any easy to get to places around us that hold specimens of either these days.

Thanks for that Steve. Again very useful advice. My plan is growing slowly in my head while I am working. I am thinking that saturday day will be spent targetting the tench and perch and maybe large roach if any are in the area on the float in the margins using either of the following:

-Chopped worm and maggot mix as attractant cupped in with the pole and large lob on the hook. (possibly add pred plus)

-Maggot fed little and often with varying numbers/colours on the hook.

-Another swim to other side fed with sweet groundbait and scopex soaked corn on the hook (my favourite for tench and bream).

Those are my ideas for now. Feeder wise for the night It is all up in the air at the moment and will require a little more thought at this stage.

What line would you recommend for the float? I currently use 6lb main to a 4lb bottom on a 13ft match rod.

That looks like a good plan.

As for the float gear I use the same. However if fishing a slider I often take a light tench rod because of the bigger rings.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

That looks like a good plan.

As for the float gear I use the same. However if fishing a slider I often take a light tench rod because of the bigger rings.

I have never actually fished a slider. It may be something that I bring along just to get a feel for it and if my swim is quite deep I may need it anyway.

Lots of good advice so far and I'm just going to echo it rather than add to it! Rigs, baits and tactics are all fairly unimportant at Wingham, members and guests all do different things and they all catch well. Fishing to your strengths is all I'd recommend in this respect, don't feel like you have to fish a certain way to do well. Although if you want to try something different for the first time, just say so and there will be plenty of friendly people there to help out and advise.

There is quite a lot of rare and amazing wildlife at Wingham (it is a nature reserve) but the Secret Squirrel is the rarest of the lot! Everyone there will do everything they can to help out and help people catch some big fish.

As everyone keeps saying, location and being quiet (especially if fishing the margins) is all there is to it. Location can be hit and miss as Steve said, sometimes some great looking spots simply don't produce anything. For this reason I would recommend hedging your bets and fishing 2 or 3 totally separate spots in your swim at different depths, feed lightly to start with, and take it from there. If some spots produce and others don't, I would abandon the unproductive ones and try some new ones, because it is very rare for a quiet swim to suddenly come alive, especially where the tench are concerned.

As the lake is so complex with all its bars, humps, islands and all the rest of it, a marker rod is well worth using to explore the swim and choose where to fish. Again, if you haven't used one before there will be plenty of people who can lend them out and show you how to use them. Marking the line and clipping up so you can recast to your baited spots accurately is therefore important, and again people can help out here if needed.

Lastly, I would err on the side of caution when it comes to tackle choice. I think if in doubt go heavier. The fish are big and powerful, and the gravel bars are sharp, so stout line, strong rods and strong hooks are the order of the day. 'Usual' tench tackle for Wingham is a rod of 1.5 - 2lb tc, 8-10lb line and strong size 12-6 hooks, depending on bait (say, 12 for maggots, 10 for corn, 6 for big lobworms). Because of the limited fishing pressure the fish are not very tackle shy, and the last thing you want is to lose a big fish because it's steamed off and cut you off on a bar.

Most of all though, relax and enjoy the place.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music