Snake lake - Silvers

RUDD

Well here is something a bit different - this month I have a club away match at a two year old snake lake.

From what I know snake lakes are normally crammed with Carp caught on the far margin but not this one!

Its a silver fish only snake lake - Perch up to 1lb, Tench 1.5, crucians 5oz, roach/rudd 1lb and skimmers 12oz - these are highest recorded weights and average weights are smaller.

the best match weight recoreded has been a tad over Ten pounds!

Next problem - only natural baits are allowed - no pellets, high protein baits etc

Looks like it will be maggot and pinkie - maybe caster but fish tend to be on the small side.

The snake is 15-16m wide and 3m deep down the middle, every peg has small set of lillies each side of it.

So there you have it - anyone fished a venue like this and whzat tactics would you use?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Well here is something a bit different - this month I have a club away match at a two year old snake lake.

From what I know snake lakes are normally crammed with Carp caught on the far margin but not this one!

Its a silver fish only snake lake - Perch up to 1lb, Tench 1.5, crucians 5oz, roach/rudd 1lb and skimmers 12oz - these are highest recorded weights and average weights are smaller.

the best match weight recoreded has been a tad over Ten pounds!

Next problem - only natural baits are allowed - no pellets, high protein baits etc

Looks like it will be maggot and pinkie - maybe caster but fish tend to be on the small side.

The snake is 15-16m wide and 3m deep down the middle, every peg has small set of lillies each side of it.

So there you have it - anyone fished a venue like this and whzat tactics would you use?

yes im fishing such a venue this weekend called the ribbon lake at summners fishery

As rob says it is like turning the clock back 20 years (apart from using a pole ) and it makes a pleasant change.

What i do there is mix up some green swimstim grounbait on the stiff side with a good helping of pinkie and start the match off with cupping 3 big orange sized balls out at 8m at 10 or 2 oclock and loose feed the opposite side with maggot and caster and after an hour or so decide which method is working best and stay with that on both lines .

If its the grounbait line then i top up when i feel the bites wearing off with another orange ball , it can become as much as a ball every 10 minutes on this water once the skimmers and small tench & cruicians get their heads down.

With loose feeding i find you can catch well for an hour then they move off and i find it better to try and keep them occupied and settled on the bottom with the groundbait taking the pinkies down to them , squats might work better but pinkies are just as good

Thanks for answers - I am thinking that like most venues at the start of the match the fish will move away from the bank due to the noise of 30 anglers setting up.

I think I will plumb to find far side shelf and fish a loosefeed caster/maggot line via catapult and a groundbait / pinkie line feed via pot.

I will set up two pole kits - one with a rig bulked to fish bottom and one for on the drop/up in the water, I will also set up a stillwater blue on the waggler rod to fish over the top of both - A tactic that has caught me endless bonus fish

For the near side I will feed another maggot/caster line near the lillies and fish it with a whip and a groundbait/pinkie line down the shelf.

For the first hour I will concentrate on the far lines - then I will have a look on the near lines. If I get bites on the near lines I will then alternate all four lines IE catch a few - feed, move to next line, catch a few - feed etc etc.

Groundbait - with baits such as pellets, paste etc banned and the fish being small I think it may be prudent to use a match groundbait such as supercup or my own winterblend to keep feed content low.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

If it were me i'd fish for bites and use a delicate insert waggler rig dotted down very finely. Using 2lb mainline to 1.5lb hooklength type thing, size 20 hook. Catapult a pouchful of maggots out at the whistle and then just loosefeed a pinch of pinkies every few minutes, and fish over that with single maggot on the hook or maybe even pinkie.

That's just me though :P

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."