personal best

Jeff S

So after countless hours of sitting on the bank (blanking quite often) I caught my first UK pike today at 1430. My only other pike was caught in northern Wisconsin and was about 8 inches in length. Now I can say my PB is 7 pounds. :D:D Not big by most standards but does size really matter?

My wife seems to think that I take the camera to the store and take pictures of the fish there.. Apaprently I’m also crazy for freezing all day, as she puts it, for no reason. I’ve got one up on her though. If only I could get her to go. It’s not about being cold or pointless, it’s quite relaxing and I get to see things that I otherwise wouldn’t. Yesterday I had a wren sitting on my pole no more than a foot away. Along with countless ducks, cormorants, and coots in the margins, or whistling overhead. I can’t speak for anyone else but this is what I go for. But catching fish is well worth the time and effort IMO.

One other thought.. Is there a graemlin that shivers?? :D

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

You've hit the nail on the head... it's great to catch but not essential, no day is a complete blank because I come home invigourated with a clear head, and ideas on what to do and what not to do the next time around.

My PB (any fish) so far is about the same and my targets for this year are species not weights.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

rondo:

But i'm a bit concerned about the "pole"

rondo

I think this is the over the pond thing again, they call a rod a fishing pole, not a pole as we know it.

Dvarcet

Well done anyway they will get bigger in time. If you want the other half to go with you, just put a dash of perfume on your jacket, and when she asks you why you smell so, just tell her its one of those fishey things, and she'll be with you next time. Or not.

I couldn't very well take back what I wrote but was slightly embarrassed even after editing and then sending.. :o

I'll have to try the perfume (cologne) the night before while I am getting everything ready. :D

I fabricated my own pop-ups, but I am wondering now how long I'll have to wait before the next run. It was a few months wait for this one run. (more like tap tap and steady pull) I found something that actually works so I'll keep at it.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Guest sslatter

If you get bored next time, you could maybe try 'twitching' it in- just a reel turn every minute or so. Sometimes it can induce a take from a sluggish winter fish, often within seconds of the previous 'twitch'.

Thanks GrahamX and Gray. I’ve tried just about everything under the sun. Twitching, lures fished slow and on bottom, sink and draw, mister twisters, homemade copper spoons, you name it and chances are I can give you some method equivalent.

The impression that I was getting was that pike are easy to catch. There is a grand supply of them near where I live but I could not believe it until I caught one myself.

I think they are so lethargic at the moment that catching them will be far and few between. I spoke with a guy yesterday that said last winter they did quite well with lamprey so I will be trying that as well.

He mentioned that he remembers many times when his roach would get taken right under his “fishing pole”. So my next question would be how do you prevent deep hooking from this when the likelihood of pike breaking your line from this is almost certain? Do many pike die with this as the cause?

While browsing through the archives I noticed not very many threads during the summer on pike. Do you think it’s due to the unpopularity of pike fishing when they are more vulnerable?

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...