Predator fish kept illegally

Slack lines

What ever the rights and wrongs of stocking species and whether you hold the right paperwork, what is the point in bringing a prosecution?

Bit of an odd one really isn't it. When the EA don't prosecute they get slammed, when they find somebody repeatedly breaching licence conditions they prosecute and get slammed!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But they won't and as usual it's just the EA having a little huff and puff but no real bite.

And it looks like I was not to far wrong.

http://www.witchlakes.com/witch-lakes-news.php

Is that legal though?

His licence was revoked!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I think there will be some seriously worried fishery owners out there. Some of the species on the ILFA list are frankly ridiculous.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/aahm/files/Form-ILFA1-Leaflet.pdf

Zander!! Is this 1970? Talk about locking the door after the horse has bolted.

Others that seem to be all over the place are Grass Carp and in particular, Catfish.

Why ridiculous? It is of course totally legal to take, kill and eat them (should you want to) if they end up in our rivers.

The point of making it illegal to introduce them means that the chances of them entering so far, 'unpolluted' waters is reduced. Even the Spanish are having second thoughts about catfish and, I believe are planning to try and eradicate them from some of their rivers.

But they won't and as usual it's just the EA having a little huff and puff but no real bite.

And it looks like I was not to far wrong.

http://www.witchlakes.com/witch-lakes-news.php

Yup, it makes a mockery of it all. But why won't the anglers (as guardians of the waters :lol:) do something?

I know you and I have been here before Stephen, and I won't even try to change your way of thinking. But if I wanted to fish for "exotics" so badly, then I'd go to some 'exotic' place, and fish for them in their natural habitat, not in some hole in the ground in the UK.

I can see very little difference in the mass stocking of these 'alien' fish, into insecure waters, and the release of signal crays, mink etc. Yet one has anglers supporting it, and the others gets anglers shouting "kill them". As I said Hypocrisy.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Bit of an odd one really isn't it. When the EA don't prosecute they get slammed, when they find somebody repeatedly breaching licence conditions they prosecute and get slammed!

Very true, but without any serious consequences if you are prosecuted it does make a mockery of the whole process. Maybe that is why they do not always take action. For a high ticket priced fishery like this the fine and costs are negligible and from looking at the website it looks like he gets to keep the fish. When I posted he would just move them to another pond, it was partly in jest but it looks like that may be what is happening.

But all this case has shown is that you can flout the rules as the consequences are insignificant. I don't envy the EA's work they are damned if they do and damned if they don't take action.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Yup, it makes a mockery of it all. But why won't the anglers (as guardians of the waters :lol:) do something?

I know you and I have been here before Stephen, and I won't even try to change your way of thinking. But if I wanted to fish for "exotics" so badly, then I'd go to some 'exotic' place, and fish for them in their natural habitat, not in some hole in the ground in the UK.

I'm getting better and trying to ween myself of the Goldfish :D When this thread started I did not know what fishery it was, actualy my girlfriend had offered to take me for a long session to Witchlakes for my birthday as i have never caught a Sturgeon/Sterlet. I declined the offer, hope for me yet.

But oddly I don't get to concerned by this type of fishery with giant non-natives as I think they would try to do a good job of making sure there valuable stock did not escape and would no doubt be well bailiffed, so little chance of anglers sticking a few in a bucket and letting them go in the local river.

Sturgeon and Cats may one day become a problem, but its the smaller species that are stocked whole sale all over the country in pools that I do worry about more. Goldfish, Ide etc, if these get out in any great numbers, then they could replace our natives.

When ever we get back on to this subject of "non-natives" or "exotics" I never get any back up from the "commercial pool boys" I see the names lurking at the bottom. But no defence of commerical catching pool venues is made. I know they are bagging up every week on moody species but keep quiet when a debate comes up. I do wonder how I end up standing up for non-native stockings when I very rarely visit such fisheries :rolleyes: but do like a bit of Zander fishing.

I did have a "catching pool" session over Easter in norfolk and caught all things golden including my first Orfe/Ide :D

Come on those who regularly bag Orfe/Ide/Sturgeon/Golden this and Golden that stand up for your right to fish for them :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Is that legal though?

His licence was revoked!

I don't know, but it might have been better if the EA had been assigned to remove them and then charge those costs back to him.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

When ever we get back on to this subject of "non-natives" or "exotics" I never get any back up from the "commercial pool boys" I see the names lurking at the bottom. But no defence of commerical catching pool venues is made. I know they are bagging up every week on moody species but keep quiet when a debate comes up. I do wonder how I end up standing up for non-native stockings when I very rarely visit such fisheries :rolleyes: but do like a bit of Zander fishing.

Come on those who regularly bag Orfe/Ide/Sturgeon/Golden this and Golden that stand up for your right to fish for them :D

I think one of the reasons why you don't get much backing Stephen, is that these waters exist for only one purpose, to satisfy the wishes of some anglers. They don't benefit the environment any more than a more natural fishery would, and in many cases have a negative effect.

Another reason I've already touched on, and that's the "It's a fish innit"? crowd, that like to pretend that they care about the ecology of a place, but it's only if it doesn't effect their 'catching experience'.

Sad, but true.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think one of the reasons why you don't get much backing Stephen, is that these waters exist for only one purpose, to satisfy the wishes of some anglers. They don't benefit the environment any more than a more natural fishery would, and in many cases have a negative effect.

Another reason I've already touched on, and that's the "It's a fish innit"? crowd, that like to pretend that they care about the ecology of a place, but it's only if it doesn't effect their 'catching experience'.

Sad, but true.

John.

I think you may be right.

Anyway I have a four day session coming up next weekend on a lightly stocked natural water, so I shall turn my thoughts away from "catching" on muddy holes in the ground and think about blanking in idealic natural surroundings :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

I think you may be right.

Anyway I have a four day session coming up next weekend on a lightly stocked natural water, so I shall turn my thoughts away from "catching" on muddy holes in the ground and think about blanking in idealic natural surroundings :D

Good Man. Your learning, if you're going to blank, do it naturally. :D

John.