Lots of anglers on my river this morning.

Vagabond

Contrary to recent trends reported on here (by myself as much as anyone) I was surprised to see stacks of anglers on the river this morning. I know it is opening day but.......

Although I was early enough to get the swim I wanted (and caught some modest chub) by 9.30 every swim on the stretch was taken. When I packed up for lunch there were about thirty cars parked by the river (usually two at most, one of them mine!)

Either lots of pre-planned holidays, or a rash of "sickies" following the good weather report this morning. Good to see so many out though.

What was your excuse? :)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hope it doesn't last, need a bit of room & peace on the rivers

Well, although my natural instinct on finding another angler occupying my swim is to kill him :lol: I am looking ahead to where there is a danger of so few anglers being on the river that the club say it is not worth the rent.

If they only fish opening day and think their sub is worth it, that's fine by me.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Unfortunately, although looking forward to it after being rained off with floods last year, I've had to miss it yet again. I had a PB roach booked for 6.00am this morning, but I've had to let it go to someone else. :schmoll:

My right arm is very painful, and I've been diagnosed with a "frozen shoulder" ... I think that's doctor's shorthand for "I don't know what's wrong with you but here's a few pills anyway".....

As I use my rod in my right hand and reel in with my left, I'm a bit buggered really! I've tried, but light as it is, I can't even lift my rod with my right hand without intense pain. I think this is the time when I really wish I'd let Paul set my whip up for me, as I'm sure I could have managed that left-handed.

Still, there's always next year.....on the plus side though, I've washed all the skirting boards down.....isn't quite fishing though, is it?

I think I'll have to give my fishing a miss for a while. Hope you've all had a great time. I'm not the slightest bit envious.... :wallbash:

Janet

Arrived at the river for 4.30 am to find numbers 1 to 5 of my favourite swims occupied. walked down to the first free swim, had to spend half an hour clearing the nettles, and after 2 hours id only had one small chub to show for it :(

Changed tactics to centrepin trotting for grayling , managed a few good ones and a couple more small chub.

Bit dissapointing really, river was very low and everyone else seemed to be struggling. still it was great to be sitting next to a river again and my sunrise pictures made it all worthwhile :thumbs:

I'm going to try to get a couple of hours on the river after I've finished w..er...., erm that word I hate when it interferes with otherwise pleasurable leisure activities.

The car is loaded, have been priming a couple of swims on the Dee neaer my place of interruption to leisure activities and I really don't care whether I catch or not. I just want to say that for the first time in my life I fished a river on June 16th!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I started out a lot later than intended this morning after staying up to watch the golf. Due to this, I thought I would fish a little closer to home than first planned. Upon reaching the car park I could not believe it, at least 40 cars. Moved to another car park and same thing about 25 cars in this. Walked to the river without tackle and glad I did, as there were no free swims to be had.

I the drove to another 2 stretches and eventually tried a different river but everywhere was packed. I eventually gave up and came home, will wait until wednesday when it is forecast rain, should keep one or two indoors. On the plus side, everybody seemed to be struggling, so looks like I have not missed too much.

Paul

The Medway around Ensfield Bridge was pretty busy, club bailiff asked for my ID and commented that the stretch was the busiest he had seen it in years :thumbs: Didn't move around that much but did find a really nice wide deep pool that I spent most of the morning on, had a couple of tidlers, but had a big take on my spinning rig (missed it). Dodged the showers for a bit in the afternoon, but chickened out when it really chucked it down. Had a really nice time overall, didn't really mind getting wet either.

All the best

Jon

I arrived at 9.30, about 5 cars were already there but everyone was pretty spaced out. Carried all my stuff to a swim and recieved a phone call from my dad to find out where on the river I was and to ask why I had left all the bait in the car!!! :-(

When I finally got fishing both me and my dad were plagued by minows and bigger baits weren't getting bites. I managed a load of minows until I managed a perch which I decided to weight, it was 2lb 1oz (New PB :-))!!! I was happy with that, although it did cause an argument between me and my dad, he claimed that it didn't count because I can't say for certain whether I caught it on double maggot or a minow! :-)

No one else on the river were catching, they were all after barbel and no one had any bites the whole time. I wandered down the river and baited up 2 areas where I had caught barbel before and where I saw some largish chub in the shallows. When I came back to the area the chib were I found the had moved on to the bait along with about 15-20 8oz-1lb smaller chub and a barbel of about 3lb. The area was hard to fish, I needed to fish downstream and I couldn't see the fish so I was fishing blind and I only managed a couple of the smaller chub. I then moved back to the area I had caught barbel before and managed to spook a huge barbel (10lb+) which was feeding on the hemp.

It was a good day in all, warm, sunny and a new PB and I think once I've thought about it a bit more I'll improve my barbel/chub stalking tactics.

Hope everyone else had a good day.

Errrm

Similar story here, very busy apparently (first time I've fished there) and nobody catching much, a beautiful place to be though. After five hours, one pint of maggots and a small dace plan B was implemented. A different river, a couple of small grayling and a PB brownie of about three pounds was the result.

A jolly good day all in all.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back