Lots of anglers on my river this morning.

Vagabond

Well i had my local river stort all to myself for about three hours, then two anglers who had been fishing up river turned up. i caught a four pound bream and some nice roach then at lunch i went over to Dobbs weir on the river lea. Bought a sausage sandwich from the cafe there. i found that most of the swims on the wier pool were available so dropped with with the float rod and caught a couple of small perch on worm.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I was on the Medway at Hartlake Bridge - parking was very tight (can be a nightmare apparently) but it was not busy on the banks. Fishing was poor, a few small roach, gudgeon and loads of minnows! Still, I enjoyed the day and was still glad that I booked it off.

/\/\ick

I just love the River Medway!

Why?

Because many clubs wind up with a committee (and AGMs) dominated by matchmen. Matches these days are increasingly turning from rivers (difficult) to overcrowded and overstocked puddles (easy)

Such people see river rents as a waste of club resources when lots of F1 hybrids could be bought for the club's lakes instead. It only takes a match-dominated AGM a couple of minutes to lose some river fishing.

If the farmer (or more likely the farm manager) can't get a fairly high rent, then it is far less hassle to ban fishing altogether (public liability insurance and all that)

So having other anglers on the river is not wholly a bad thing (so long as they stay well away from my swim :):) )

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Nobody has responded to my "what was your excuse?"

I will offer my theory. Difficulty in obtaining petrol/diesel to go to work. (There is of course no difficulty whatsoever in buying petrol/diesel to go fishing) :lol:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Because many clubs wind up with a committee (and AGMs) dominated by matchmen. Matches these days are increasingly turning from rivers (difficult) to overcrowded and overstocked puddles (easy)

Such people see river rents as a waste of club resources when lots of F1 hybrids could be bought for the club's lakes instead. It only takes a match-dominated AGM a couple of minutes to lose some river fishing.

Never a truer word written unfortunately. It happens all to often. It's happened to a club that I've been a member of for quite some time. I never see anyone out on the river, the clubs new secretary is a matchman and has annexed a couple of lovely stretches of river to pay to stock the rather dull club lake with 2000 small Carp.

Some bright spark from the same club has also saw their way clear to stock a lovely little 1 acre gravel pit that held a fantastic head of Crucians, a pit that is shared by other clubs with some of the surplus small Carp. Terrible.

There was treble the amount of people on the river today than I saw all last year, 3.

Interesting observations - exactly the same down my way. I was really surprised at the number of people out yesterday, I even saw TWO other people on my little stream, that's unheard of! I almost set the dogs on them for trespassing, but then remembered that it's not actually my property :D

Similar story on the Thames, where I went for the evening. Lots of kids with their dads and a few more 'serious' anglers along the banks. Usually you can go weeks on either river without seeing anyone. It was a glorious day though, I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. It was actually quite nice to be in the company of happy, relaxed families fishing purely for the fun of it, it made a nice change from studying maps of lakes and being all serious and focussed :)

My excuse? No excuses here, a day of annual leave, as per the annual custom.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No excuses here either, I've got the week off :D However, same story for me really although I started at midnight ! People started arriving at around 5.30 in the morning and it got very busy, very quickly. Same story catch wise though, ie not a lot !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"