Braid for feeder fishing

Feederfisher

had alot of fun on drennan feeder braid untill i managed to make it all unwrap so had to put it in the bin

been looking at afew new ones and want some advice:

looked at:

preston sinking braid

getting some more drennan sinkbraid

Spiderwire????????????

it will be used for bream fishing should i get 8lb or 6lb?

craig

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for 8lb. Will give you a slight margin of safety if an area gets frayed which most braid is susceptable to. Its not like its much thicker and still far thinner than mono.

Can't give a recommendation, not used any of your choice.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I would recommend Spiderwire in 15lb (remember that 20lb Spiderwire is the equivalent diameter of most 6lb monos) The reason people have problems with so called "Feeder braids" is that they are to thin.Remember the old adage of buying braid of a similar diameter to the mono you would have used.It really does stop all the grief you get buy buying braid by breaking strain.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I would recommend Spiderwire in 15lb (remember that 20lb Spiderwire is the equivalent diameter of most 6lb monos) The reason people have problems with so called "Feeder braids" is that they are to thin.Remember the old adage of buying braid of a similar diameter to the mono you would have used.It really does stop all the grief you get buy buying braid by breaking strain.

I'm not arguing with Budgie here as he knows his stuff but I've used prestons in 8lb (just borrowed it from a friend on a outing) and had no problems. I wouldn't recommend using any make of braid as a mainline for feeder fishing in any rocky river or still water, that's just asking for a break.

I'm not arguing with Budgie here as he knows his stuff but I've used prestons in 8lb (just borrowed it from a friend on a outing) and had no problems. I wouldn't recommend using any make of braid as a mainline for feeder fishing in any rocky river or still water, that's just asking for a break.

I might be being a bit unfair as the only "feeder braids" Ive actually used were quite early ones.One that spring to mind was the brown and white speckled one from Fox.I gave this a right hammering by using it on two of my bait snatching rods when I was guiding on the Ebro.This was feeder fishing for carp on a very rocky venue.I got two seasons out of it before reversing it then used it for occasional feeder fishing myself back in the UK. Certainly got my monies worth out of it use wise but during this time it did start to display problems that I hadn't had on my 20lb Spiderwire that I had on the other two.

Another rather strange thing was that the braid on one reel suddenly seemed to completely deteriorate a few years later whilst jigging in France.No idea why and the other reel (spooled with the same but a different batch) was fine.

In contrast the 20lb Spiderwire (6lb diameter) that I'm using still some 15 years later for feeder fishing/barbel/big chub is still fine and hasn't even been reversed yet.

Newer feeder braids may be a lot better than these earlier ones but when asked for a recommendation I will only offer what I know! And lets face it 15 years ain't bad going!

The bottom line I suppose is to remember that basicly the finer the diameter the lower the abrasion resistance.Got to get your head around this buying by diameter rather than breaking strain business.

For example 10lb Spiderwire is a similar diameter to 2lb Maxima mono,Now 10lb is plenty of BS but would you want to use a mainline for feeder fishing that only had a similar abbraission resistance to 2lb mono?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yeah, I know what your saying Budgie and of course your right m8. I'd only use the lower diameter braids if I was fishing in a water with few or no large rocks or sharp gravel. I do know a few friends who use it for feeder fishing in Ireland when targeting bream at range due to it being so good for casting. I actually feel more at ease using a mono mainline and maybe a braid bottom.

I used drennan 'feeder braid' a couple of seasons ago and it was awful so I'm not surprised you've binned it. I now used powerpro for my feeder fishing, it may not say 'feeder braid' on the packet but it works just the same and is far superior to the Drennan braid. N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

I'm using 6lb drennan feeder braid just now and did all last year and I've had no problems with it. In fact, I've not even trimmed it. I put a micro swivel on it for attaching a length of mono for cushion and rigs. It's been fine.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I do find a noticeable advantage myself with finicky bream/roach bites and also for cutting through running water allowing a better 'feel' but its all subjective. I don't use it if there are rough areas on the venue I fish. Not worth the risk.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I don't really see the need to fish with braid mainline at all.

Then don't... ;)

It's very expensive

£10 for a whole season and proabably another and possibly another on top of that? I'm broke just thinking about the expense.

and the advantages of mono by way of performance is marginal by way of bite detection.

I don't think there's any comparison. Myself and Andy_1984 use the same feeder rod at relatively short distance and I don't think the performance is marginal at all. I also seem to get more self-hookups.

The limpness of braid is in most situations is and advantage when using it as a hook length

What about, say, for lying slack line along the bottom when using bolt-rigs for instance? I'll bet my sinking feeder braid sinks and lies down better than any mono available.

The damage braid can do to fish might also be a consideration

Granted and considered.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...