Braid for feeder fishing

Feederfisher

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The damage braid can do to fish might also be a consideration

I've never had a problem of braid damaging fish or seen any damage done to fish by braid :rolleyes:

By the way {remainder of comment removed}

Edited by Newt
keeping things off personalities - Newt

Braided hook lengths and braided mainlines are two totally separate things and so should be regarded as such.

Braid and mono have different properties and as such are better suited to different situations I select which I use accordingly.

As Andy said (maybe we can kiss and cuddle as well Poach?!) It may be more expensive initially but it is far cheaper than mono in the long run due to its lack of deterioration from UV light.I have some reels that have had the same braid on for nearly 20 years! I change mono every season!

What is this damage you talk of Teme Man? Anglers damage fish not items of tackle.

I will list just a few situations where braid (IMO) is superior to mono and why-

Bait fishing for Pike -

its lack of stretch enables much easier setting of the hooks,its lower diameter to BS ratio enables higher BS to be used so that with a "direct" pull any snagged baited hooks can be bent and retrieved from snags thus preventing a break and a pike picking up baited hooks.

Lure fishing-

Much better "feel" and again better hooking due to lack of stretch.Again heavier BS to line diameter means expensive lures can be retrieved and not lost.

Float fishing-

Braids floating properties (non sinking braids obviously) makes for much better/easier line control whilst trotting with top and bottom attached floats. Lack of stretch again improves striking. When Drift float fishing it saves having to grease the line and sets the hooks at extreme ranges.When fishing free roving live baits beneath a float it doesn't sink stopping tangles and possible bite offs.

Surface fishing.

Gives far better control and hook ups plus doesn't need greasing up.

Quiver tipping.

Lack of stretch transmits bites far better and enables better striking.

Long range fishing,

Lower diameter to BS means you can use a low diameter line to achieve long distances but still keep a high BS.

And so I could go on. One other thing I will say is that unlike a good braided hook length a good braided mainline isn't particularly soft!

But As well as its advantages there are disadvantages and due to this in some situations mono is better and so my choice. Also some just cant make the change from mono to braid.This is sometimes because they just don't like the difference in feel when fishing with it and other times because they wont learn how to use it! Most common mistake is that many still buy it by BS rather than considering the diameter as well.This leads to them having most of the common problems they "fault" braid for.

Others of course have absolutely no idea about the stuff because they have simply never used it (properly or not) and just repeat the same old tired twaddle that they have read from others with similar lack of knowledge...

Nothing wrong with personal choice but lets at least have our facts right before knocking something or at least ask first.

PS I love Tigger and dont care who knows! :wub:

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As Andy said (maybe we can kiss and cuddle as well Poach?!)

Now that I've had a few drinks, I think I can accomodate that suggestion.... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Used Firewire crystal for quite a while but about to give spider a go, though I prefer mono for everything. It's a personal thing.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

But it does cause injury to fish that is beyond doubt even if you have not witnessed it, that is one of the main reasons it is not recommended if you put fish welfare first.

As I asked before please give me examples of how braid itself damages fish? I think I know what you are basing this on but don't want to put words in your mouth.

And yes before you accuse me of being hypocritical it is banned on one of my waters but I think its a good subject to discuss.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Actually I'd be interested in theories of how braid is damaging...

I just think Ian respects Budgie more than he respects you Teme Man. Many of your comments lack room for compromise, which I suppose I should concede that, at least you are sure of yourself, no bad thing, but it does somewhat restrict fair debate in this arena.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Argue the merits to your heart's content gents but enough of the swipes at other posters. For now I just edited a few posts and removed nearly a dozen.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President