Why do we bother?

Guest Alan Pearce

Guest mpbdsnu

Sorry Elton - perhaps I should have explained in more detail? The point I was really trying to make is that anglers who have no access to the internet generally seem to remain ignorant of the dangers!

I am just getting so cheesed off at others, such as walkers, golfers, etc, etc who are making no efforts whatsoever!

Guest mpbdsnu

The point is though, 'the Blanker' - the "WE" you refer to is just us communicating on here and other sites like it - what percentage of all the anglers that could be fishing now does that represent? I would suggest that figure would be very low! There must be a way of getting the message across to all anglers not just ourselves? Okay, obviously club anglers will know of restrictions on their own waters, but that still leaves the vast majority who will know nothing!

mpbdsnu, please don't tar us all with the same brush. I'm a keen walker (without Helly Hansen or bobble hat, please take note aswhi) and you reckon you're cheesed off! The nearest thing to countryside I've seen for two weeks is the local town park.

I also do survey work for two wildlife oganisations and spring is by far the most important season for us. The work planned was called off voluntarily by both organisations as soon as the f&m outbreak started.

So please mpbdsnu don't criticise people who enjoy other country persuits outside angling and who often do a great deal more for wildlife and countryside conservation than anglers could ever do.

Wert

Guest Bruno Broughton
Originally posted by the blanker:

It's quite incredible just how stupid and short sighted some people can be, but we should not let that cloud OUR judgment or influence what WE think is right. Yes, there will always be the few plonkers that think restrictions apply to everyone else but them, but we, as anglers, must hold firm and refrain from breaking the quarentine and start fishing before we are aloud to. If we weaken and a few new outbreaks are attributed to anglers, we can forget fishing for months and months and my sanity won't last that long. So stay firm chaps! stay firm!

And as for culling poor little hedgehogs, why not cull golfers?!

Bullseye! Big applause from around here.

------------------

Bruno

Guest mpbdsnu

Wert - go forth and multiply!!! mad.gif

There are good and bad (or ignorance) in all walks of life, but when one looks at a lake to see it devoid of anglers and yet has 'walkers' around it, one cannot help but get cheesed off about it! mad.gif You speak of tarring with the same brush , yet I drove past my local Country Park yesterday (tues) - angling is banned, but guess what, yes walkers all around. You actually sound more concerned with your walking brethren than you do anglers?

QUOTE: "I also do survey work for two wildlife oganisations and spring is by far the most important season for us." In this respect then you could be considered to be the exception rather than the rule. Plus, I admire the fact that the "work planned was called off voluntarily by both organisations as soon as the f&m outbreak started.". But, you also go on to say (or was it ramble - sorry about the pun) "...don't criticise people who enjoy other country persuits outside angling and who often do a great deal more for wildlife and countryside conservation than anglers could ever do." I would like to see the evidence of that?

In this connection, two places I regularly fish one of which is NT land have adjacent public footpaths frequented by 'serious walkers', this is always strewn with litter! Gates are left open, and they don't always stick to the recognised pathway! These people don't generally come across to me as caring, conservationists?

This forums about angling, and stick up for angling and anglers I will!

Guest Paul Williams

Local radio today tells of walkers and dog exercisers having to be called off a local out of bounds country area...two of the dog walkers were found to be off duty police officers.........................

Guest Simon Newbould
Originally posted by mpbdsnu:

Wert - go forth and multiply!!!     mad.gif

There are good and bad (or ignorance) in all walks of life, but when one looks at a lake to see it devoid of anglers and yet has 'walkers' around it, one cannot help but get cheesed off about it!    mad.gif You speak of tarring with the same brush , yet I drove past my local Country Park yesterday (tues) - angling is banned, but guess what, yes walkers all around. You actually sound more concerned with your walking brethren than you do anglers?

Open mouth - put foot in!

And there was me thinking that "stay out of the countryside" meant DON'T GO THERE.... didn't know we could actually drive round the effected areas with no problem... maybe we should all fish from our cars? rolleyes.gif

Misinformed people really should think prior to posting wink.gif

Hey, don't think I'm sticking up for the walkers here either, I AM tarring everyone with the same brush!

Simon...

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 07 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 07 March 2001).]

Guest Paul Williams

This is turning into a difficult situation, i don't think anyone has said we should drive around infected areas though!

I have to drive past the gates of a fishery, the lake is 20yds inside the gate, is this taking a risk?

Incedently whilst we are all playing at being good the AT is telling all and sundry what waters are open!!!! so much for unity again!!!!!!

Guest Simon Newbould

Hi Paul,

I thought (and I could be wrong) that the idea behind not fishing in areas were there is livestock is that the disease can be transfered (on your boots, clothes, car tires etc)It's not the actual water that carries the disease is it?

So in answer to your question - if the lake in question is in a livestock area it is rightly closed to fishing (and any other activity like walking around it!)

With the restriction of movement of livestock it is probable that farmers are not using the roads to transfer the beasties from field to field ie: flocks of sheep walking up the road...so driving on the roads should be ok BUT the country side contains loads of beasties that totally ignore all the "keep out" signs (foxes, hedgehogs, birds etc).... these animals have no hesitation in crossing the roads do they... so it COULD be that they are transferring the disease on their feet onto the roads and then onto your cars tyres.....

Not much you can do about that is there? except spread straw soaked in disinfectant all over the roads or keep away totally....

Simon

Guest Paul Williams

Simon,

The water IS open, thats what i am getting at, we still have to travel these roads for every day use. The road is a busy one and the lake is alongside it.

If you read todays AT you will find plenty of places to go ! and i do believe that rightly or wrongly anglers will still be out in force, it just makes you realise we are such a small voice here on the WWW !!