Having problems since upgrading to win7

Clifftop

When i start up the PC it gets as far as a window saying starting windows, sometimes i hear the little jingle but then it's just a black screen.

It took me 20 minutes this morning to get started.

To get started i have to repeatedly turn off all the power to the computer about six times.

I've been in touch with the guy who installed the upgrade, he seemed at a bit of a loss and suggested i run chkdisk, i've done this and it comes up clean.

Windows repair doesn't do anything at all.

I unplugged my external hard drive and the sytem worked once after that then i got the black screen again,

i uninstalled the ex hard drive and it worked once then the black screen returned te next time i booted up.

I need help before the men in the white coats come for me.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does it work in safe mode?

perhaps a graphics driver error or the card needs reseating

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Which OS did you upgrade from?

What version of Win7 have you installed?

Did you have any issues before you upgraded?

does it work in safe mode?

perhaps a graphics driver error or the card needs reseating

had vista home premium and upgraded to windows 7 home premium. nothing major happening when i had vista< will rephrase that i did have a virus

which is why i took the PC to the IT guy to get removed and decided to upgrade while it was there.

Chesters1 after a couple of tries to start up i sometimes get the option to start in safe mode.

my problem with that is i havent a clue what to look for once i've done that.

I can only do basic things, not IT literate at all.

Updated 7/3/09

had vista home premium and upgraded to windows 7 home premium. nothing major happening when i had vista< will rephrase that i did have a virus

which is why i took the PC to the IT guy to get removed and decided to upgrade while it was there.

Chesters1 after a couple of tries to start up i sometimes get the option to start in safe mode.

I have a suspicion that the IT guy has upgraded vista with the Windows 7 upgrade without removing the virus.

If you have a corrupted hard drive, virus or malware infestation, you should format first x 3 times to remove problem files and any footprints left behind.

Then and only then do you install a new OS.

I have seen a similar problem happen before with my Brother.

He upgraded from Vista using the Win7 upgrade and not the full install package. He has had continuous problems and eventually had to install the full Win7 OS version.

Just out of interest what Internet Security software do you have?

I have a suspicion that the IT guy has upgraded vista with the Windows 7 upgrade without removing the virus.

If you have a corrupted hard drive, virus or malware infestation, you should format first x 3 times to remove problem files and any footprints left behind.

He upgraded from Vista using the Win7 upgrade and not the full install package. He has had continuous problems and eventually had to install the full Win7 OS version.

Main one is CA security suite.

I also use Glary utilities-- windows defender spy bot and occasionaly adaware

Just had a look at the package the win7 disc is in. It says " This version of windows 7 is designed as an upgrade for windows vista "

Updated 7/3/09

Main one is CA security suite.

I also use Glary utilities-- windows defender spy bot and occasionaly adaware

Just had a look at the package the win7 disc is in. It says " This version of windows 7 is designed as an upgrade for windows vista "

If your IT guy didn't resolve the virus issue then it is still there and likely to be the issue.

I always advocate using the full OS installation as opposed to upgrade software.

I would also recommend you invest in a mainstream security software. There are many such as Norton, McKafee etc etc.

Norton is on offer in some retail outlets at half price.

Now, you have the right to return to your IT guy and demand that he/she rectifies the problem if you made it clear before the upgrade that there was a virus on your system. The IT professional has a duty of care and may not have fulfilled this.

If your IT guy didn't resolve the virus issue then it is still there and likely to be the issue.

I always advocate using the full OS installation as opposed to upgrade software.

I would also recommend you invest in a mainstream security software. There are many such as Norton, McKafee etc etc.

Norton is on offer in some retail outlets at half price.

Now, you have the right to return to your IT guy and demand that he/she rectifies the problem if you made it clear before the upgrade that there was a virus on your system. The IT professional has a duty of care and may not have fulfilled this.

Thanks for the advice, i will have a run up there tomorrow and see what he has to say.

Cheers Fred

Updated 7/3/09

I'm an IT guy and have been since about 1985. If Cranfield's "IT guy" is going to do a Clean Install he only needs to format the hard disk once. Once a disk had been formatted it will have no files on it whether they be "problem files" or not. Pray tell what are "footprints"?.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Talking XP and previously here i haven't used later windows safe mode uses a set of basic drivers not the super dooper ones that are designed with the bits and bobs to utilise all of their functions on the device they are designed for

if you start in safe mode and the screen doesn't go blank then it could be a driver could be corrupted that would install when windows starts correctly.

my first guess would be the graphics driver if this is so and i would try a reinstall of that if safe mode allows it ,some are happy to do so others refuse this is where your problem lies then.

you could (in safe mode) uninstall the graphics driver and then hopefully windows would install the basic driver and let you start windows properly ,if so then you could reinstall the pukka driver and hopefully all would be well but that "famous last words" driver tends to cut in then :D

to get into safe mode (first sentence applies) keep tapping F8 as you start your machine ,if a choice of drives comes up choose your hard drive but keep tapping as you choose it then a list of options comes up

"use last good........" is worth a try the machine will reboot

if that fails then do it again and choose safe mode ,nothing much will be different to the eye other than the graphics and some parts will not be available in your machine so your not delving to far into the unknown.

you could also try a system restore but i guess you have already tried that route if not see if theres a pre problem point but i have found system restore not the most freindly option

if it is a virus then the hints above are pretty much the route to take unless you have say a nortons disc you can boot off which may find the bugger ,that also tends to be ineffective some viruses are pretty clever at hiding and some even hide in system restore so you cannot get around them that way

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson