Method feeder fishing advice

peterthefisherman

I am based in Scotland and wish to try this approach for Bream Carp and Tench. Have never actually seen the approach used can i ask some questions;

1- Is it suitable for all of these 3 species ?

2- Is a hair rigged bait best ?

3- Should the hooklength be fixed to the feeder ?

4- should i point the rod at the bait and use an alarm or do it sideways with a quiver ?

5- what length of hooklength length should I start with ?

6- why does one of the feeders I bought have a bright red rubber band on it ?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks Peter

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly the easiest way to fish a feeder (and the most acceptable in 'ponds)is to have your feeder 'freelining' on your mainline down to a stopper and swivel (the stopper to stop the feeder hitting your knot and breaking your line)

Check with the water you are fishing about length of hooklengths, I usually use about 3inches, if you have to use a longer hooklength, wait until your feeder touches bottom, wait about a minute then wind the line in about the hooklength's distance. You are now in the middle of the feed.

You can fish with a feeder rod at an angle, or a stiffish rod with an alarm, that is purely a matter of taste.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Peter,

im not a method expert but have used it a couple of times.

generally the hooklength will be fairly short (6-8 inches) so that it sits near your ball of feed. Ive seen it attached to teh bottom and the top of method feeders and its personal preference as to wether you leave your hookbait free or if you bury it in the ball of feed.

the red rubber band is a peice of elastic that acts as a shock absorber when the fish takes your bait. The idea with the method is that it acts like a bolt rig and the fish hook themselves. With that in mind, i think you can use any style you like, quiver, bait runner etc should all be fine.

Hair rigging is the norm with method feeding, it depends on the bait i suppose, obviously its tricky to hair rig maggot.

having said all this, i rarely use the method as i find a standard open end feeder on a running rig equally successful, but as i said im no expert (and i will be giving the method a good go this summer).

Hope that helps.

D.

Peter,

To answer your questions, I have used the Method with some degree of success for the three species you have mentioned. I have used the Fox or Korda finned type of feeders as they hold the bait quite well, and the ball of feed can be shaped to fly well.

I would tend to steer clear of the elasticated feeders where your mainline is tied to the top of the feeder. If a hooked fish manages to break the mainline, it can be tethered to the feeder.

The easiest way is to pass your mainline right through the feeder and tie a beaded swivel below. (Drennan make a Swivel Stop, which is a rubber bead with a small hole one side for your line to pass thru, and a larger hole on the other side to sink the top half of your swivel in).

Your hooklink (mono or braid) should generally be a pound or two BS lighter than your mainline. I use a three to four inch hooklink without a hair for maggot and corn, or with a hair if using boilies or pellets, etc. If you use a longer hooklink, you may have to sink your hookbait into the method mix ball to prevent tangles on casting.

I prefer to use my rod set around 45 degrees to the bank rather than an alarm, as you can see line bites or twitches when the fish are pushing the feeder around to get at the offerings. Generally, you should strike when the rod bends round rather than just twitching. If using a large feeder with a lot of mix on, I use a carp rod around 2+3/4 lb TC, or a medium/heavy feeder rod with a small method feeder.

Hope this is of some help..........Terry

Terry

I only use the method in line style in case the main line breaks.

A short hooklength of 3 to 5 inches is best.

Try and use a baitrunner type reel as when you get a bite your rod will get dragged in if you are not carefull. The bites are normally savage and unmissable!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

i also live in scotland and and have been a fly fisherman and some simpile sea fishing and very simple coarse fishing for most of my fishing life. started out on a resvior that has good pike perch bream rudd and roach in it.and i rember taking a few perch out of it was great fun. i have started geting into coarse fishing think its due to watching matt hayes and john wilson on telly lol.as coarse fishing is not as common in scotland its hard to get good info for good places to fish ect in scotland. and as i live in the tayside area wich is the game fishing heaven in scotland they tend to all look down on this kind of fishing. i would be grateful if anyone could help me out with any info or websites for scotland coarse fishing

cheers in advance

Plenty of good advice so far. I find tying very short lengths of line between hook and swivel difficult (it may depend on your favourite knot, and age :) , how easy this is to do), so I use an inline feeder with the hook tied directly to the main line, and tie a simple through the loop knot two or three inches above the hook and then pinch a shot loosely above the knot. The knot stops you having to pinch the shot really hard onto the line (and damaging it) to stop the heavy feeder from slipping down when casting. If you want to change to a longer hook length just tie another knot and move the shot.

Because the takes are usually savage use a heavier line than you would expect for the size of the fish, as there is a fair amount of resistance to the strike that can result in the line breaking before the drag can kick in. I use 8lb line. Actually you don't need to strike, just pick the rod up before it gets dragged in. Very occasionally you may get continuous rattles rather than a pull round, these are worth striking as they are normally smaller fish, small still water barbel in particular give this bite.

{2008 Editor's Note - please click here to view method feeders for sale}

• 7 years later...

When using a method feeder for Carp of Tench, how often do people recommend re-casting a fresh one if you're not getting a bite?

Assuming that I'm putting the hook in the same spot each cast.

There's more to fishing than catching fish