Method feeder fishing advice

peterthefisherman

Hello mate, Hopefully this advise will be helpful. I tend to use a free running method feeder tied to a swivel with a bead to stop the shock, The hooklink when using a method feeder needs to be as short as possible say 3inches but with a cage feeder should be alot longer. You can use it either way, with a quiver tip you want it at a 45 degree angle so you can detect drop backs aswell. I only tend to use bait runner and buzzers if i'm either night fishing or using two rods. I tend to find the best way to do it is with a hair rig, but a layer of groundbait on your feeder, then push your hook and hook bait in and then put some more groundbait around it.

Hope this is helpful

Liam W

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

Once again, the "Great Glossary" fails me. There is no definition for "method feeder", "cage feeder" or "feeder".

What are the "differences" between the two specific devices and the general term "feeder"? I'm afraid we don't distinguish as exact as you may??

Phone

Phone- Method feeder is a semi fixed feeder in which you mould pellets or groundbait to and place your baited hook inside so that when it breaks down the hookbait is in amongst a pile of feed, normally used in conjunction with short hooklengths and hair rigged baits such as corn, meat, pellets or small boilies. A cage feeder too is a cage style mesh in which you can also put groundbait or pellets. A feeder is just a replacement for a weight (as in used when legering) and holds bait to attract fish to your hookbait in one way or another.

http://www.anglerscircle.co.uk/carp-fishin...feeder-fishing/

------------------------

In short-

1- YES

2- YES although not essential

3- YES for best results, the fish hooks itself on the weight of the feeeder

4- UP TO YOU a bite alarm set up works but on commercials quivertip rods are more common

5- 30 CM Max, most use 3-10 inches

6- Probably to trap the line so although the rig is free running and safe if a fish breaks it, the rubber band gives a little resistance and so acts as a self hooking mechanism

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Dave,

Ahhh !

A "packbait" is around the lead. It breaks down into a pile. That would be a "method feeder" since it is around the lead.

A "packbait" that is around the bait (overlay) and also serves as "casting weight" and breaks down into a pile when freelining, that would be a "feeder"

A device aquired from Euro style fishing that is oval shaped weighted and slotted device and receives stuffed "groundbait" is a "cage feeder".

"Cage feeders" do not require as exact a formula for breakers and binders of the groundbait they "hold in" the contents. (Used with or without a lead).

Right?

Phone

Phone,

A "packbait" is around the lead. It breaks down into a pile. That would be a "method feeder" since it is around the lead.

Yes

A "packbait" that is around the bait (overlay) and also serves as "casting weight" and breaks down into a pile when freelining, that would be a "feeder"

Bit confused here, a feeder is a general term for something that acts as a weight and releases bait to attract fish, but i think thats what you mean by 'around the bait' as the feeders bait is around the hookbait, yes

A device aquired from Euro style fishing that is oval shaped weighted and slotted device and receives stuffed "groundbait" is a "cage feeder".

Yes, groundbait is commonly used but other substances like softened pellets, bread mash etc can be used

"Cage feeders" do not require as exact a formula for breakers and binders of the groundbait they "hold in" the contents. (Used with or without a lead).

Most feeders are used instead of a lead, some even have added weight to them or strips of lead but it is uncommon over here to use a feeder and a weight also. No it doesn't have to be so accurate with how you make up your cage feeder mix, but you just have to bear in mind if you make it too try, your bait will come out in the upper layers of the water and not around you hookbait on the bottom, too wet and it becomes sticky and stodgy and doesn't come out very well at all and can go more like a paste. Most people make their cage feeder groundbait to the same consistency they would normally. The only time people usually muck around with consistency is depending on how deep a water you were fishing, eg you wouldn't use a fairly dry mix on a 30 foot deep gravel pit but you might on a 4 foot pond.

Dave

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Wow 25,992 :o and 14 replies, must be a popular topic for reading, B)

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"