PETA - We told you so!

Guest waterman1013

Dug6 - I've read the various threads for and against fisherfolk supporting hunting. Excellent points made on both side and by people whose opinion I've come to respect here on both sides. Interesting conondrum and very glad I don't have to make a decision.

In the US, it is not really even a question. Many of our fisherfolk also hunt. This time of year, it is open season on certain migratgory waterfowl like geese and ducks. This time of year, you can go to my favorite water and before daylight, many fishing boats are already on the water except they are anchored in a cove, rigged with camo netting and the occupants have shotguns. After a couple of hours when the birds have mostly found the area they want to feed in, the nets go down, the guns go down, and the occupants take up their rods to fish. In the summer, if you look at the maybe 150 pick-up trucks in the lake's parking area, probably 75-100 will have gun racks mounted behind the seat since they also hunt.

Guest Nightwing

Yes, we certainly are seperated by a common laungage<grin>. What you call hunting, we call coursing. Not at all common over here, and certainly a Brittish thing. You are right in that our hunting involves guns and bows and forest and field and such.

Now, a little history lesson.

Here in Michigan, a very small group, that of Bear Hunting with dogs, was attacked recently by the anti's. Pack hunters comprise a total of less than 5,000 hunters, out of over 2,000,000 total in Michigan. The anti's thought that such a small, isolated group was vulnerable, and would make an easy first victory here. Suprise, suprise, when the dust had cleared, every single outdoors organization in Michigan, and several from other states had come to their aid, and in the election, over 5 million voters, 85% of whome were NON-HUNTERS!

voted. It was the highest turn out for a referendum in Michigan history. The result?

The attempt to end Bear hunting with dogs was defeated by an overwhelming 82% against, to 18% in favor. We have not heard a peep from the anti's in the several years since. Our state government is now decidedly pro hunting and fishing, even going so far as to institute very good protection against harasment, and a constitutional guarantee of hunting and fishing rights

Just think. had you all rallied to the defense of the fox hunters, the story over there might well have gone similar.

2 million or more potential votes likely would have caused the governing officials to reconsider their vote, and might easily have fended off the attack. The anti's would now be reeling in defeat, and your government would see the "country" vote in a whole new light.

But instead, you remain divided, hunting may well be on the way out, the anti's are stronger than ever, bolder than ever, and you are getting more worried by the minute.

Maybe I should not get this wrapped up in this subject. After all, I am not even a resident of your country. But, we are all brothers and sisters in the field, and on the water. If I offend anyone, I am really sorry as it is not my intent. I just hate to see you roll over, and be destroyed when you still have every chance to regain the initiative, and preserve your privleges.

OK, rant over.

I'll scurrie back over the pond to where I belong, and just ask the odd strange question from time to time.

Guest waterman1013

Nightwing

Don't spend to much time over the pond, we need your inputs here.

I think part of our problem is that too many of us in Europe (Britain) live a life remote from the countryside. Whereas, in the States, it is much more a recent part of your history and present day way of life. Hence the split amongst anglers about hunting. We do not have the land to hunt, with guns, or the freedoms you enjoy to possess guns, so hunting with horse and hound is seen as a "toffs" sport, a bit like game fishing, while coarse fishing and sea angling are seen as everyones sport. With divisions like that we have both sides of the debate in fishing circles but we will never reconcile those who see hunting as cruel and different to angling.

It will certainly weaken the countryside movement and the defence of country sports, for as long as it lasts. Thanks for the insight and useful thoughts. Oh, to live in Michigan.

Mike

Guest Nobrott

Mike,

Thanks for clarifying my lazily-worded post - I forget that Anglersnet is a truly global community.

The point you make about our lack of wide open spaces shaping our attitude to the countryside is spot on - and yes - if I lived in Michigan - I'm sure I'd enjoy a spot of wildfowling before the day's fishing.

Newt and co - I'm pretty well travelled in the States and would love to have access to the huge unspoiled wildernesses you enjoy over there - but in little old England they simply don't exist any more. Even in the relatively unspoiled Scotland most of the shooting and fishing rights are pretty much stitched up by private ownership.

And don't forget - you have the right to bear arms enshrined in your constitution - whereas in the UK - we don't even have a written constitution!

Send us some pictures of Michigan.

All the best

Mark

Guest Nightwing

Oh, I rather suspect I will continue to poke my nose into your

affairs whenever the urge hits me:-)

My friend from the U.K.(hello George, if you are out there!), never fails to be amazed by things we here take entirely for granted. I took him salmon fishing last fall, and he seemed rather taken back that we could simply hop in the Jeep, drive over to the local river, and cast to 30lb salmon with no fuss, hassle, river fees or such.

Just a $13.00 yearly license(well, poor George had to pay $26.00, being a non-resident and all.) and enough petrol to get us there and back!

When the fancy new PC I have ordered arrives, and I figure out how to use it, I will for sure send some pics for your archives.

Keep up the fight, as I want to be able to visit one day and try some American tactics on your English fish!

[This message has been edited by Nightwing (edited 18 February 2001).]