A tuff first day with a nice surprise at the end

bluerinse

I arrived at the Avon in Stratford at 2pm, most of the barbel swims were taken,

And there were quite a few match type fisherman using the pole or waggler set ups. (I have not seen these types of anglers on this stretch for a long time) It did seem to be more anglers than normal on opening day

Someone had taken out two of the best swims by sinking there narrow boat, it was half in and half out the water with the end in the water sunk.

It had broken a mooring in last week’s high water.

2q1xg0g.jpg

Anyway I was after Zander, so I made my way to a swim I have had success on before.

First problem was there were no bleak, were have they gone, this swim is normally full of bleak so catching a few live bait is normally easy.

Someone suggested they had gone up the small brook that feeds into the river to spawn!!

Well after 2 hours I had managed to scrap together a few small roach and chublet as lives, you can’t believe how hard this was, normally you can catch live bait with out any effort, I was down to a size 22 hook with 1lb bottom line.

I fished for 3 hours without any interest, the sun was full on and conditions were not ideal. That added to the fact that the bleak were missing seemed to mean the Zander were also missing.

Then I had a take, and I stuck, forgetting I was using a circle hook, no contact, I could have kicked myself.

An hour later I had a take again this time I felt the fish and a nice 2lb perch came to the net.

30sgax0.jpg

the picture does not show this fish to well

The sun was starting to go down now and most of the other fisherman had departed. I fished into the dark and then it happened I had a take, I wound into the fish and it ripped off, not a big fish but a fish, as It came to the net I saw it a fine Perch, when weighed it went 2lb 5 oz a new PB for me and from the same swim I got my PB last season (2lb 2oz), I wonder if it’s the same fish!

I took a photo but it was to dark to show.

It was a frustrating opening day but in the end I was happy

Even though I did not catch my target species, I believe the key to this swim is to wait for the bleak to return, I will be taking a walk with some maggots and sun glasses today to try and locate the bleak.

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

A PB perch certainly was a nice surprise. Here's to a PB zander next time!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I know what you mean about circlers Blue! I found getting used to just winding down with them when I tried them for Pike and Perch no problem at all..............................but then I spent a few weeks with Newt where we were using circles with light float rigs! Trying to not strike when a float goes under is nigh on impossible for a UK angler!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If you could have fished by (and under) the boat it might have proven a very active day.

You should hear Budgie's language when he forgets he is using a circle and strikes when the float moves. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If you could have fished by (and under) the boat it might have proven a very active day.

Yes that was my first thoughts but the swim on the side that was fishable (there was some slack water) had another boat moored on it.

The side you can see in the photo had water rushing under the boat as it is directly opposite a weir.

You would not have been able to get a bait to stay put nor do I think the fish would have liked to try and hold in that current for to long, especially the predators I was after.

I chose a swim were I knew there was a depression on the river bed, no Zander but a couple of nice perch.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"