Wingham Fish-In 2011 Catch Reports

Steve Burke

It was the usual slow start at Wingham with the disturbance of some 30 anglers descending on a water that barely sees a handful. Additionally many guests don't start fishing until after the lunchtime BBQ, that's followed by what's traditionally the least likely time of the day to catch at Wingham.

For the record it's been mainly sunny and fairly warm with low humidity and falling pressure. Wind has been south-easterly gradually veering south-westerly, light at first increasing moderate.

On my last circuit of the lake many guests were fast asleep but there are a few early fish to report.

Here's the latest returns that I'll update as reports come in:

Carp Lake

Dales - 14 eels all but one over 3lbs including 4 over 4lbs topped by a pb eel of 4-13, plus 4 pike to 18-01

Steve Campbell - pb eel of 3-08

Budgie - 13 eels of which 10 were over 3lbs, best 3-10

Andrew Burgess - pb carp of 21-06

Terry - 31-06 mirror

Elton - pb common of 33lbs

Coarse Lake

Mad Russ - 2 PB tench of 8-08 & 9-06 + another tench of 6-12

Addicted to Scopex - pb eel of 3-02 + pb pike of 6-04

Steve Walker - pb tench of 8-04, an eel + 3 small perch

John Block - tench of 8-04 + 2 eels of about 2lbs

Rusty - pb tench/pb male tench of 6-10, followed by a pb female tench of 10-02

Mat Hillman - 7-05 tench + an eel of about 1lb

Renrag - 2-03 eel

Tony U - an eel of about 2 1/2lbs

Sharkbyte - 4 eels up to 2 1/2lbs

Lob On - 8-03 tench, 3 2lb+ eels up to 2-09, 3 jack pike and a small perch

Anthony78 - 5 tincas including a pb female tench of 8-05 and a pb male of 6-06, + a pike of about 7lbs

Errrm - a pb tench of 8-09 plus a smaller one

KAYC - tench of 5-00, 7-10 and a pb tench of 9-06 plus 2 eels

Nigel1961 - 2 pb female tench of 7-14 & 8-14, + a pb male tench of 5-10, plus 6 eels and a jack

Jedibond - 7-12 tench + 4 small pike + lost a common of around 35lbs at the net

Jeffwill - perch of about 1 1/2lbs + 2 eels and 2 jacks

As I was leaving Tony and Sue Urwin were having frequent bleeps on worm, whilst 2 tench rolled in Rusty's swim as I sat with him. Before lunch poor Rusty had a fish cut him off on a gravel bar.

I'll update the above list as the event goes on.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an 8lb4oz tench earlier this morning, a new PB by an ounce, and an eel last night :yucky:

All quiet now, though whoever - oh, line bite - sorry, whoever is opposite on the point netted what looked like a pike a little while back.

Sadly had to leave early to be home in time to get ready for work. In the end I had a pb pike at 6lb 4oz and a pb eel 3lb 2oz both on worm fished over my special fishmeal/halibut groundbait ;) . It was great to be there and meet the guys and see the stunning surroundings that are present at Wingham. Its a shame the tench and perch didnt show for me but thats angling.

Special thanks to Rob Ward for lending me a load of his gear, JediBond for lending my mate a bivvy, Budgie for the bedchair, Andrew Burgess for the bobbin, Anderoo for taking a lot of time out of his day to help me with swim info, marker work and spodding/pike angling :D Peggy for the BBQ and of course Steve Burke for giving me the opportunity to come and fish at Wingham.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself and hope I get the chance to return sometime in the future.

Good luck to all still there.

Rik

Edit: Here is the pike. Still waiting for my friend to provide the pic we got of the eel =) . It was in fantastic condition if a little thinner than I had hoped ;)

143zxwj.jpg

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

This has been one of the poorest Wingham Fish-Ins so far for numbers of fish caught. However the average size has been very high. Of the female tench recorded to date just over half were over 8lbs, with 2 over 9lbs at 9-06 each. Surprisingly we've had just a handful of perch and these have all been small. Big bream have been seen rolling in 2 swims, including just a few feet away from SoozieU! Sue and Tony have now gone home, and as a thank you to Anderoo and Rich Capper for all their help this weekend I've allowed them to fish these swims tonight in the hope of a monster bream.

On the Carp Lake 3 of the lads have been fishing for eels and had fabulous catches with 23 recorded so far, of which incredibly all but 2 have been over 3lbs! Dales has had four 4lbers topped by a pb of 4-13. Andrew Burgess is fishing for carp and realised an long-standing ambition of catching a 20lber.

Unfortunately, as is usual when it's windy at Wingham (force 5-6WSW), only 1 end of the lake has fished. This time it's the windy end, and stronger gusts are forecast tomorrow. There was a little rain early this morning from a cold front, since when the pressure has been rapidly rising with sunny periods and fairly warm temperatures. At the quieter end of the lake Sharkbyte has recorded tench with his underwater camera but they're just picking up the odd bit of feed and then vacating the swim.

After outstanding catches up to a fortnight ago Wingham has gone quieter. Granted the weather hasn't been so conducive to good catches, but even when it's improved for a while results have still been down. It looks as though there's been an explosion of natural food due to the early spring, and this has made fishing difficult.

Having said that we've as usual had an awful lot of personal bests (13 already!), resulting in lots of smiling faces. And there's almost another 24hours still to go!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've had one, Steve. 33lb common. On 'that' rod, too :)

f2f26e79.jpg

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Just heard that Rusty has had a 10-02 tench!

Just heard that Rusty has had a 10-02 tench!

Fantastic. Well done Chris. I am delighted for you and look forward to the pictures. Just sorry that I had to leave yesterday. :clap2::clap::thumbs:

Edited by tincatinca

Well done Chris and a big male Tench to ,Yoooz just showing off now chap .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: