UK freshwater species.

Andy Macfarlane

Andy_1984 recently acquired a fairly large fishtank (can provide dimensions if required later) and with my past experience of keeping fish, we're pulling together to try and turn it into a mainly UK freshwater species tank.

At the moment it's essentially a tropical tank. The heater has been down at 20 degrees (but the tank held at 22-24 degrees with the light and hood) and there are some Platys, Zebras, Neons, Guppys and a female Siamese Fighting fish in at present. With the exception of the Zebras (and maybe the Black Platy) they're all getting the heave in the next day or two because it looks like a kid's candy shop and the heater will be turned off completely.

Even though the tank is quite warm at present, we put a single 3" Roach in 3 days ago as a tester and that's fine and dandy it would appear. It's a little light shy at the moment but it's certainly fit and it does seem to be adjusting to the light. Another couple of days and I believe it will have accepted the overhead light completely.

There was already a Goldfish and a Lion's Head Shubunkin in the tank, which were quite happy when the tank was stable at 22-24 degrees, so I assume the Roach and other, later to be added, small Cyprinids of a similar size, will be fine also when the heater is switched off completely and the tank settles at a cooler temperature. The tank has decent capacity, superb filtration, excellent flow, more than adequate circulation, good oxygenation and live plants. The only foreseeable problem may be temperature but the addition of a cooling system has been considered, if it turns out to be an absolute requirement.

I'm assuming most small Cyprinids of a similar size would tolerate the same conditions as the Goldfish, since most can often be found in the same waters and conditions, alongside Goldfish.

As an experiment and quite possibly a form of predatory entertainment, we added 2 small Perch this evening, which seem to be quite happy exploring the tank. Knowing that small Perch normally shock quite easily after being hooked, netted, kept in keepnets, moved in buckets or put though any kind of stress for that matter, we're quite surprised to see that they've made the initial transport from reservoir to tank (from hook to bucket to bag to car to tank), without any signs of fuss at all. I was concerned they might not tolerate the temperature jump or the shock of the move but so far, so good. In fact, they seem positively at ease. Again, I can only assume they'll be happier still when the tank settles at the lower temperature.

We plan to have approximately...

1 X 2" Goldfish,

1 X 3" Lion's Head Shubunkin,

1 X 3-4" Common or Mirror Carp,

1 X 3-4" Tench,

Three X 3-4" Roach,

Three X 3-4" Rudd,

Two X 3-4" Skimmers,

Two X 3-4" Hybrids, (most probably Roach/Rudd).....They'll have to be quite apparent as Hybrids. If the characteristics lean heavily towards either of the two species, they probably won't be included. For inclusion they'd have to be quite apparent as hybrids. It would be pointless otherwise if they just looked like more pure Roach or Rudd.

Two X Small Perch, (as small as possible to minimise potential predation) if they'll fit in without going berserk. I'm assuming the worst, so they'll be on maniac watch. I have a feeling though they won't be around for long.

Four or Five X Zebra Danios, My mate has kept his alongside Common Minnows without heating or any special attention and they're fine after more than a year. In fact, they actually shoal happily together. Colour apart, they're almost identical in their physiology and size. Although not UK naturals or outdoor pond fish, they're present already and the colours are fairly neutral. We think they're in keeping with the intended look of the tank.

Four or Five X Common Minnows,

Two X 3 Spine Sticklebacks,

That's the basic list of fish we'd like to try and accommodate. I've given the numbers some thought and judging by the size of the tank, I think this is about the manageable limit, without overcrowding, creating excess waste, stressing the fish etc.

I've also considered adding some one-offs if they turn up on our adventures. Possible contenders are....

Stone Loach,

Bullhead or Miller's Thumb,

Gudgeon,

Ruffe,

Dace,

Natural Brown Goldfish,

Wels Catfish*

We have no illusions that any of the above fish will be happy or suitable in an artificial environment but it's an experiment we'd like to carry out, since my mate has had surprisingly good success with Roach, Common Minnows and Perch.....alongside his Zebras.

We'd also like to know if it is possible to keep a small Flounder in a freshwater tank. I've read online that some foreign species of Flounder ARE viable for many years in wholly freshwater setups. My thinking is that I've caught Flounders quite readily, several miles upstream of the brackish limit of the River Clyde. What I don't know if if these Flounders, some of which are quite mature, have a physiological requirement to return to a saline environment. If it's the case that Flounder caught from a freshwater environment can survive without the need for saltwater, we'd like to try adding one of the smaller individuals to the tank, because it would add an even greater level of variation and interest.

*I'm kidding about the Wels Catfish.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean "Getting the heave"?

There is a population of flounders in Loch Lomond. Nobody knows for sure if they return to the sea to breed or not. If they do the must return when the barrage is totally open or they can get up the fish ladder at Balloch along with the salmon and sea trout.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

he means give them to the pet shop or give them to someone who has an interest in them.

the roach has settled in rather nicely and treating the tank like a home. it has almost fully adjusted to the hood light and is quite active if it is switched on, though not as much as when its switched off, and you are not sitting with your face up to the tank.

the perch i was surprised to see them take to the tank almost instantly one of them (the smallest of the two) was a bit shy to begin with and went to hide under the filter for a little while before coming out for a sneaky little poke around the tank. the larger of the 2 straight away went for a swim around to explore and definitely wasn't too phased by me sitting next to the tank and will often come up to the front glass to see what the deal is and the little one wasnt so shy this morning.

heres a few pics of them.

post-7003-1306151571_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1306151584_thumb.jpg

post-7003-1306151590_thumb.jpg

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

he means give them to the pet shop or give them to someone who has an interest in them.

the roach has settled in rather nicely and treating the tank like a home. it has almost fully adjusted to the hood light and is quite active if it is switched on, though not as much as when its switched off, and you are not sitting with your face up to the tank.

the perch i was surprised to see them take to the tank almost instantly one of them (the smallest of the two) was a bit shy to begin with and went to hide under the filter for a little while before coming out for a sneaky little poke around the tank. the larger of the 2 straight away went for a swim around to explore and definitely wasn't too phased by me sitting next to the tank and will often come up to the front glass to see what the deal is and the little one wasnt so shy this morning.

heres a few pics of them.

Whew! I had visions of them heading for the cludgie. What are the dimensions of your tank Andy?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

A flattie sounds more interesting all the time. I'm just fascinated by the idea of seeing a flattie in beside freshwater fish and to see what colours it comes up with.

Down the Cart, they come out quite mottled with the gravelly bottom. In the Clyde at Dalmarnock, they come out as dark as silt. Up the Dreel at Anstruther, they come out almost grey where the banks have been built up with concrete.

I was going on minnow/stickle/bullhead patrol yesterday but the stormy weather put that idea to bed...literally....yawn!

Might manage out today if it looks calm enough.

Hehe, cheeky wee Perch hanging out with the Roach. Awfully stripey those wee perch too. Not exactly living up to the Sergeant nickname are they? I don't know what they qualify as....lol

Admirals of the Fleet perhaps?

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

A flattie sounds more interesting all the time. I'm just fascinated by the idea of seeing a flattie in beside freshwater fish and to see what colours it comes up with.

Down the Cart, they come out quite mottled with the gravelly bottom. In the Clyde at Dalmarnock, they come out as dark as silt. Up the Dreel at Anstruther, they come out almost grey where the banks have been built up with concrete.

The Loch Lomond ones are a sandy yellowish colour. The can get to be pretty big though Andy.

Knowing that small Perch normally shock quite easily after being hooked, netted, kept in keepnets, moved in buckets or put though any kind of stress for that matter, we're quite surprised to see that they've made the initial transport from reservoir to tank (from hook to bucket to bag to car to tank), without any signs of fuss at all.

A former colleague was trying to keep young-of-the-year perch for his experiments, and having trouble. The fish wouldn't settle, wouldn't feed, were shy and jumpy and spent all of their time trying to hide. Someone else suggested that Windermere fish perch always like that and that he should get some from the Ouse. Not sure which Ouse. Anyway, he tried this, and they were absolutely fine.

A former colleague was trying to keep young-of-the-year perch for his experiments, and having trouble. The fish wouldn't settle, wouldn't feed, were shy and jumpy and spent all of their time trying to hide. Someone else suggested that Windermere fish perch always like that and that he should get some from the Ouse. Not sure which Ouse. Anyway, he tried this, and they were absolutely fine.

the perch in the tank dont hide any more (not that they did much at first anyway). at first one headed under the filter for a while but now they are both quite inquisitive and come up to the front and look at me and come quite close to my finger when im feeding the other fish so are pretty much un-phased by the whole thing. i still haven't witnessed them feed but one did appear to take something off the surface this morning.

You need to watch the perch to make sure they are feeding and not loosing colour. Try some redworms (chironomid larvae). A bag of daphnia might turn them on too.

What are the dimensions of the tank Andy?

L: 4ft

H: 1.5ft

W: 1ft

this is close estimate as i cant find my measuring tape <_<

i was just reading about bloodworm, heading to aquarium shops on paisley road west (theres about 5 of them in within 1-2 mile!) after work

going to get an artificial mangrove root with some hanging fake moss or the likes as a natural hiding place for them as looking at the tank it doesnt exactly have good hiding places

Edited by Andy_1984