UK freshwater species.

Andy Macfarlane

Cory, as requested. the exact dimensions are(in inches):

L: 48"

W: 13"

H: 15"

= 33 Gallons or 153 litres.

the perch are coming on quite well now and witnessed them feeding this morning on fish flakes with the light on and pecking at the rocks and leafs. the roach i hadn't witnessed feeding until this morning too so all good signs so far.

one of my little platys may be bullying them a little with pecking at fins but platys will soon gone. it doesn't bother the perch much they just cruise away or turn round sharp and gives it a warning.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of the Ruff and Gudgeon and they would make interesting additions to fill that bottom layer of the tank.

I know it's a native species tank but have you thought of getting a bullhead or channel catfish for it. Will still eventually grow to a fair size but not as quickly as a Wells.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

a crayfish would make it more realistic

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

my crayfish would beat your bullhead :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Andy I think that you are trying to be too ambitious and might end up over-stocking your tank. 48"*12"=576 square inches. In a cold water aquarium that would give you enough room for about 19" of fish. Fish are usually measured from nose to base of tail fin.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

With impeccable filtration and a strict water change routine you may get away with 30" of fish I think but stock it slowly (6 months to full stocking density) to let the filtration system adjust to the increasing levels of waste.

Recommend a 20% water change every 2 weeks minimum, also, invest in a water testing kit. Ammonia and nitrite are killers in even tiny amounts. A low level of nitrate is acceptable in a well planted tank but over time, if levels increase, it will weaken and stress the fish leading to disease.

One very important note, when changing your water, rinse your filter sponges in the removed water, not tap water. The chlorine will kill all the nitrobacter and nitrosomnas bacteria which absorb and convert the deadly ammonia and nitrite. Those little beasties be your fishes' bestest buddies!

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

And don't forget that hopefully your fish will grow...

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

We'll keep you posted on it's progress.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• 2 weeks later...

haven't been on for a while cause ive just moved office and had no internet. things going great in the tank, however, the perch were being an absolute nuisance so they got dispatched and put in the freezer for pike bait.

the original roach that went in has really settled in, eating very well and playing well with the other tank inhabitants. so i got him a friend last week(another roach). he/she is a little larger and took less time to settle in than the first roach did.

they both know that if i approach the tank and lift the lid its time to haul arse down to the filter end of the tank where food gets drawn to in the flow :D they both sit there wizzing and weaving up n down grabbing flakes as they get sucked toward the filter.

now put a few maggots in and the larger roach gets excited and starts nudging/shunting the other roach and lion head gold fish to the other end of the tank so it can stuff its greedy face :D

done a 30% water change not so long ago (not that it needed it, clarity was crystal and 0 ammonia) i was surprised how clam the roach were during this process as they frequently came within an inch of my hand and arm as i cleaned the inside to see what the score was.

one of the goldfish got whitespot so i started a protozin course last week, the final dose was lastnight, but it had visually gone by the 3rd day.

i had to get rid of the platies as 2 had started breeding!!!!! i found a single fry behind the filter about 2mm long. i inspected my filter to find another 2 before the debris filter. fished them out and put them in the seclusion net/fry net but the holes were too large and the eventually got out. was funny watching them swim for dear life when the other fish clapped eye's on them but they all made it back in to the bloody filter never to be seen again. either the impeller has chewed them up or they have been eaten by the Siamese fighter thats took up residence under the filter.

the main reason for getting rid of the platies is that the 2 that have been breeding have never stopped being aggressive toward the roach. i put all 3 in the seclusion net as the 3rd was starting to get a little aggressive too but next morning that poor little blighter had taken a hammering from the breeding pair over night so i took him out and let him roam the tank, he spent an entire day sulking on the bottom and hiding but he's alright now.

dunno why i never got a tank sooner. im really enjoying fish keeping.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk