Perch in a carp pond

Sportsman

I have been invited to fish a 5 acre lake which, I am reliably informed, contains some very decent perch, It also contains lots of carp in the 5-10lb range (with a few quite a bit bigger) and a myriad smallish roach, I would like to fish for the perch so need advice on tactics, baits and carp avoidance :)

I am not allowed to livebait and I don't really lure fish these days as the sciatica prevents me from doing it comfortably.

Float fishing or feeder fishing are the options. baitwise, maggots are available, but expensive and poor quality and worms such as dendros and lobs ditto.

The lake is short on features with little or no weed and no reeds. There is a small island and in some areas trees overhanging and drooping into the water.

OK, over to the experts ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freshwater deadbaits could be the answer if allowed. Many will have seen the program I did on Sky TV in the Predators series that covered this.

You should also find my article about specimen perch from such waters of interest. Go to http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...teve_burke.html.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

My first thought would have been worms.

However as they are ruled out how about: -

strips of streaky bacon,

strips of pork,

cut up octopus tentacles,

smoked mussels,

strips of chickens liver,

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

For tactics I favour float legering for Perch, however straight forward legering can bring some interesting results, although if you are up for it and can find some weeds then straightforward float fishing for groundbait I would use minced chicken mixed with Ox blood and some of your hookbait. No bread or cereal of any kind even sausage meat if you need to spread it around sawdust.

There are other baits which I have used over the years but many of them I will not mention on an open forum as they would upset the more gentle and sensitive of readers. But they are very successful for me...hehehe

There are other baits which I have used over the years but many of them I will not mention on an open forum as they would upset the more gentle and sensitive of readers. But they are very successful for me...hehehe

Squeak !

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Squeak !

For the squeamish try a wet fly, a nymph et cetera, but one that is around at this time of the year

Gercha!

They are just the ones that I thought all the gentle, sensitive and those anglers of a nervous disposition could accept. If some angler,s knew some of the things I have and in many cases still use for bait they might faint or more likely swoon. Certainly a lot would be a feeling more than a bit tom and dick. I am an angler not a woosie, getting my hands dirty does not bother me...I was taught to fish by men who had to catch it was their job as well as their hobby. You want predators then offer them the food they would take naturally. the same goes for all fish you want to catch it offer it whats natural for it to eat. Start thinking what could a small predator catch by small I mean Perch rather than the larger predators like Pike. Think what can get in the water or drop in the water naturally that they may take a liking too.

I have been invited to fish a 5 acre lake which, I am reliably informed, contains some very decent perch, It also contains lots of carp in the 5-10lb range (with a few quite a bit bigger) and a myriad smallish roach, I would like to fish for the perch so need advice on tactics, baits and carp avoidance :)

I am not allowed to livebait and I don't really lure fish these days as the sciatica prevents me from doing it comfortably.

Float fishing or feeder fishing are the options. baitwise, maggots are available, but expensive and poor quality and worms such as dendros and lobs ditto.

The lake is short on features with little or no weed and no reeds. There is a small island and in some areas trees overhanging and drooping into the water.

Hi Sportsman

How about prawns :) ,there was an article in the anglers mail about a year ago using prawns. Take about a handful thaw them out (oh yeah get frozen ones) dry them on kitchen towel, nuke in the microwave 20 seconds. microwaving firms them up a bit lasting longer on the hook, try close to tree roots or under the trees as best you can.

Good luck

Klaus

erm, havent read the other posts, but i would use either chopped worm, worms that are chopped, or little bits of worm that have been cut into pieces, for perch or chub. but thats just me

have just got some 'Predator plus' but i haven't really tried it yet. have had some luck with 'bloodworm dna, amino complex'

also, i'm sure you know this but catching bigger perch is often more about the spot chosen than bait used (thanks to other members for that pearl of wisdom!)

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

Sportsman, although the cast and retrieve style of lure fishing might not be too good for you, something like drop-shotting ought to work really well and be quite confortable for you. It's essentially the same as quivertipping really, you can sit in a chair and make one cast last as long as you like, as the lure is held static.

Any actual bait - even smoked mussels and mouse paste, which are probably the finest perch baits of all time :rolleyes: - will get carped.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music