Perch in a carp pond

Sportsman

Freshwater deadbaits could be the answer if allowed.

Steve's idea if allowed would seem the most straight forward.

If not then I would try the idea from Klaus of prawns or maybe crayfish.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, some interesting suggestions.

The obvious one to try would be deadbaiting, and no lack of small roach to supply the bait. Will definitely give that a try.

Also baitfishing with prawn appeals although I would be surprised not to get carped. less likely than with a worm though.

Lastly drop shotting. Sounds intriguing. The lake as far as I know is pretty shallow, I don't know if that would make a difference. There is also very little structure to fish to, apart from lakeside trees.

I have always thought of dropshotting as a vertical style of fishing under the rod tip which would be pretty limiting, but how about using a drop shot technique and plastic bait with a pole?

I am going to the lake this evening and will start off with the deadbait idea. :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

:

Blimey that was a bit OTT even for you :o

The mind boggles as to what would make us woosies tom and dick and the baits you use, could it be hair rigged kittens or perhaps puppies as live bait?... go on tell all :rolleyes:

I think you are getting a little over excited here, the best bait for perch is either a small fish or a good old lob worm, we don't need to resort to horror tactics to impress. <_<

SPORTSMAN

If as you say maggots and worm are expensive then for worms I would just place some sacking on the ground and collect the worms as and when. As you will already know a light ledger rig would be what I would use, or a float rig. Of course small fish are good bait for perch, as is a small Mepps, this is not news to you I am sure, but best of luck with what ever you choose :)

In a word slugs very few anglers I have met want to handle or chop up slugs or snails and even fewer can do it without feeling sick - woosies - they are just slimy worms...hehehe and I will add I never said all anglers...I have never had a Carp take on slugs and small Roach are not keen on them - chopped up for loose feed work very well, and far more natural for river fish than prawns or shrimps although chopped up crayfish is also a good perch bait.

EDIT:

Easier to use scissors than a knife for slugs. What do you expect people act strangely delicate when I suggest liquidising worms or maggots or mice.

END EDIT:

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

You can drop-shot from the bank quite easily, it doesn't need to be vertical. Shallow water is no problem. I would use a lure rod rather than a pole so you can impart the right action (very gentle). Just an option if the deadbaiting turns out to be a good carp method! Good luck with it, hope you get among the big perch.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

In a word slugs very few anglers I have met want to handle or chop up slugs or snails and even fewer can do it without feeling sick - woosies - they are just slimy worms...hehehe and I will add I never said all anglers...I have never had a Carp take on slugs and small Roach are not keen on them - chopped up for loose feed work very well, and far more natural for river fish than prawns or shrimps although chopped up crayfish is also a good perch bait.

EDIT:

Easier to use scissors than a knife for slugs. What do you expect people act strangely delicate when I suggest liquidising worms or maggots or mice.

END EDIT:

hmmmm i used a slug once for chub, it was indeed vile and spewed like flouro green gunk all over me.

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

Thanks guys, some interesting suggestions.

The obvious one to try would be deadbaiting, and no lack of small roach to supply the bait. Will definitely give that a try.

Also baitfishing with prawn appeals although I would be surprised not to get carped. less likely than with a worm though.

Lastly drop shotting. Sounds intriguing. The lake as far as I know is pretty shallow, I don't know if that would make a difference. There is also very little structure to fish to, apart from lakeside trees.

I have always thought of dropshotting as a vertical style of fishing under the rod tip which would be pretty limiting, but how about using a drop shot technique and plastic bait with a pole?

I am going to the lake this evening and will start off with the deadbait idea. :)

just out of interest do carp respond in the same way as perch to the release of worm amino, caused by chopping? carp are a totally foreign experience to me

Give a man a fish and he will live for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will live forever

hmmmm i used a slug once for chub, it was indeed vile and spewed like flouro green gunk all over me.

You could always wear latex gloves, some on here may be surprised to hear I take latex gloves with me when fishing now as Weil,s disease, pollution and sewerage is increasing dramatically in its spread and possibly its virulence or perhaps Weil's is just another disease adapting to humans, for me it is the potentially dangerous pollutants and sewerage, so in known bad areas I slip on latex gloves, I just don't fancy eating pollution and or sewerage with my sandwiches.

I use forceps for slugs, if you get that slime on you it takes ages to get off. I just grip em' with the forceps and shove it on the hook, a great freelining bait, only seconded to bread in my opinion

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I use forceps for slugs, if you get that slime on you it takes ages to get off. I just grip em' with the forceps and shove it on the hook, a great freelining bait, only seconded to bread in my opinion

Try a pair of sugar tongs for slug handling, less chance of squashing the thing.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I will save some of you queasy stomach's by not describing how to use snails, as some of you are not as I did already know not like using slugs, I do know a lot more alternatives but not for the delicate from fluffy bunnies to squirrels and beyond way way beyond.