Oxford canal matches from the past

hermes

Something's been bothering me for a while so I thought I would ask you guys.

About 15 years ago I used to fish a few matches on the Oxford canal, very very unsucsesfully I might add,I seem to think some of them were at a stretch at the Rock of Gibraltar pub but I can't remember where about that was for a start!

Anyway back then I'm sure that Billy Makin won a lot of the matches but there was a guy who's name escapes me, he was a good pal to Billy and was something like Roy or Ray, he won a lot of the matches(not Ray Mumford, I knew him).

Any of you guys know who it could be?

It's a shame there are no data bases of old matches results from way back when, that would be cool, or maybe there are some that I don't know about?

[ 12. March 2005, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: hermes ]

Didn`t Billy have a travelling companion who was also a great canal angler, Seem to recall him winning my section fishing bloodworm with a rod and centrepin on the grand union once.

spot on mate, thats the guy, he was an excellent angler on the pole and the pin, at least I know I'm not imagining it now!

I have no real reason to ask but it's sort of bugging me as to who he is.

Was it Roy Meridith? He was an early bloodworm ace from lancashire. As I recall, the 'Wiganners' did their own thing on their own turf but he was one of four that spread their wings outside Lancashire and really 'kicked ass'.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

could be right there, not sure if the name rings a bell, did he use to travel with Billy?

The guy I remember I can only be described as very sort of humble in his approach, don't mean that with any disrespect at all.

Looks like were getting there now!

I am 99.999% you are talking about Ray Mills. He and Billy travelled together and were both great exponents of a method that revolved around a longish rod a centerpin reel and a small wagler.

I havn't fished the Rock for about 15 years but if you draw a line from Kirltlington to Woodstock the Rock is near enough where that line crosses the canal.

[ 14. March 2005, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]

ah ha, could well be but like I say I can only remember his first name!

I onlt did a few matches there, I used to fish the short 2-3metre pole on the inside shelf, they were the days!

So whatever happened to him then?