450 lb Daytime Swordfish caught in Islamorada, FL

Richard Stanczyk

For my brother, Capt. Nick Stanczyk aboard the "BnM" out of Bud n' Mary's Marina in Islamorada, Florida, it started out just like any summer day. We caught about 20 schoolie size mahi (3 to 5 lbs), then stopped at one of the humps and caught a 20 lb almaco jack. After that Dean wanted to put his time in for a swordfish, so the Florida Swordfish Charter began. We ran out another 15 miles, sent a bait to the bottom, and starting drifting. We drifted for an hour then checked the bait, it was a little chewed up, but not by swordfish. I told him not to get discouraged, we still had plenty of time. We ran back, sent a fresh bait to the bottom, and after about 10 minutes I saw a bite. Dean started winding, the weight broke off, and the fish raced for the surface. After about 25 minutes of winding, the swordfish broke water, and made a spectacular jump. I told him it was a big fish, somewhere between 300-400 lbs. We get the fish near the boat, but something is wrong, the bait and hook are twisted up in the line right at the rod tip, and the fish is still 40 feet away!... The sword had attacked one of the LP LIGHTS! She just had the leader wrapped up around her bill! The fish swims a few circles around the boat, and then heads to the bottom. We were in 1600' of water, but the fish gets a big belly in the line, and manages to take off a total of 2500'! The fish drowns after an hour, and we could feel dead weight. We start inching the big fish up, and after a total fight of 4 hours, we sink the gaffs into her. The fish had a lower jaw fork length of 103''! Great job Dean! Congrats on your first Broadbill Swordfish! We steam for the dock, make the call to fire up the forklift, and up comes the big sword. The fish weighed in at 450 lbs! It's one of the biggest swordfish ever caught in the Florida Keys on rod and reel! Great day on this Florida Fishing Charter!

Capt. Rick Stanczyk

rick@seethefloridakeys.net

450%20sword%20hang%205-24-11.jpg

450%20sword%205-24-11.jpg

Nah, it apparently died in the fight Sean. Still a damn shame though.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Nah, it apparently died in the fight Sean. Still a damn shame though.

Renrag

thats ok then. You know what though, im a massive hypocrit. I also do a lot of hunting, nothing returned alive there! At least i admit it though :D

gone

Haven't been hunting for years but never felt bad 'cause I intended to eat what I killed. Get massive pangs of guilt though when an iddi bitty perch dies after deep hooking.

I now use them as deadbait, goes some ways to soothing my conscience, a sense of a purpose in its death...

I'm just weird I think.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

nah your totaly right mate. Everything must have a purpose or be used for something. IE game birds all get eaten, so does deer. Foxes need controlling on farms etc, so do corvids and the like. Rabbits are another big pest but also go nicely in the pot! I have no interest in big game hunting or things like bear/wolf hunting in alaska BUT i know a lot of people who do enjoy and thats their choice.

My Dad had a good argument the other day though, he sees no pleasure in shooting something. He agreed all these may all be good reasons but they are not truly my reasons. For example, the fox may need shooting but it isnt my farm or my problem. I chose to go to that farm and enjoyed the hunting of it it wasnt strictly about nessecity. But as long as i can justify it haha :D

gone

Foxes is an iffy area for me. If you click on the wildlife rescue link in my signature you'll see why but while I don't agree with shooting them per se, I can't stop it and at least its quick and clean as opposed to poisoning which I think is at best barbaric and at worst, totally indescriminate.

I know someone who does shoot foxes occasionally and he wont shoot at this time of year because of the pups. He reckons he can deal with killing the odd adult the rest of the year, but it doesn't sit right with him thinking of possible pups starving to death.

Renrag

Yea there are so methods of pest control i dont agree with. Snaring, poisoning etc even shooting with the wrong caliber. All my foxing is done with a .223 and always one shot one kill. Most of my foxing is done on poulty or game farms/estates where the foxes are a big problem, even more so with cubs. Foxes breed for most of the year as well!

gone

Usual breeding season ends about late august. Usually starts late march. They have been known to have up to 3 litters a year. More usual 1-2 litters. Usual survival rate in the UK is less than 20% to 1yo. Less than 5% to 3yo.

My fathers foxes are called Dudley and Demi. They are treated in the same way as the cats, free to roam, but they come back for cuddles and food! Sometimes they disappear for weeks on end but then he'll come back from work and they'll be curled up on the sofa next to the cats. They even use the litter tray too :lol:

Just to say, I've not got a problem in the world with what you do, I wouldn't do it myself but far more are hit by cars than are shot, or than were hunted when it was legal.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39