how do use the line clip for accurate casting?

Guest dave brown

Guest dave brown

can someone explain how to clip the line on the reel for casting to the same spot each time. What happens when abig fish runs a way from you?

Thanks DJB

Guest Gaffer

Hi Dave, once you have cast to your chosen spot take the line out of the clip and mark the line.

If/when you do get a run bring the fish in normally.

To set up the clip again,

1. Over-cast the spot where you wish to fish, reel in until your line marker is where you want it.

2. Clip up and wind in.

3. Cast out using the line-clip.

4. Take the line out of the clip and wait for that bite! smile.gif

Don't forget when/if you reel-in to put the line back into the clip for a re-cast. wink.gif

A good tip (from Rob S) is to use pole elastic for a line marker, it ties on easily, stays put and is easy to take off.

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 14 March 2001).]

Guest MANONFORM

The line clip is ok if your fishing for species such as bream or roach as you will have time to release the line from the clip.Although with species like carp and tench which tend to run straight away you'll more often than not get broke,you may be better off using an elastic band or some electricians tape on the spool which will allow the line to be released. Other than that there are some line paints available made by sensas which are really effective,all you have to do is cast to the spot you need and paint the line at that point,so when you cast just watch for the paint and feather your line.

Guest darrell.cook

how about tying a power gum stop knot and clipping up the tag of the knot.The stretch in the powergum should allow sufficient time to unclip if a fish runs.Must confess I haven't tried it myself but it should work,or wouldn't it?

Guest Chris Burt

Let’s take the worst case scenario where you are casting tight to the opposite tree line and want to be able to recast exactly in the dark, after taking a fish from that spot.

Select a spot on the bank-side to cast from that you will automatically use next time and when you return to that swim, distance from you to the tree line obviously has to be identical every time.

Remove the hook link, tie on a swivel, and cast as close as possible to the desired spot, which should also have some distinguishing feature on the skyline you will identify at night.

Having cast, assuming say 6’ short, pull off 6’ of line and clip up.

Recast, repeat until it falls, clipped up, exactly where it should. When it has, WITHOUT reeling in, pull the lead away from the area so you have some slack line.

Now tie on a stop knot in line with the second rod ring up, (so it will be beyond the bite alarms when in the rests), using light grade pole elastic with a sliding stop knot, and leaving 1” loose ends on the knot. (Alternatively use electricians black tape folded over the line, trimmed back quite small).

Leave line in clip, retrieve, retie hook link, and ALWAYS use a small stringer on the hook too so the link cannot tangle when the lead “bounces” back against the clip on the cast.

Recast, should be spot on every time now…….

Take line out of clip, fish in usual way on bait-runner.

If you catch at night, cast off to one side till you hear the stop knot “rattle” through the rod rings. With the stop knot positioned next to the second ring, clip up, retrieve and bait up + stringer.

Stand in correct spot, select skyline feature, cast hard enough so you feel the end tackle “bounce” against the line clip, and have faith…….you’ll know you’ve got it right when you have another take from the recast rod!

As an extra, if your rods are numbered then you can return to that swim and recast straight away with no disturbance knowing which rod is which for each feature. If you carry two different coloured elastics each rod can carry markers for two different swims to return to on the same rods. If you are completely fanatical you carry your own sketch maps of each swim anyway, and add the distances to these features in yards having noted each one with the 30yard tape measure you carry, can work even for 80 yard casts setting up in the dark!

Finally would add that assuming we are both talking about 2/3oz leads, you realise of course we’re both now risking eternal damnation and worse by raising the subject of using anything larger than a three quarter ounce coffin lead? This’ll probably give rise to at least three new splinter Specimen Groups all vehemently opposed to such practices, one anti carp too, another anti night fishing, one for 6’ maximum range only, etc etc…….. (See “Angling Unity” on other thread, and previous 342 threads on the same theme!!)

Regards

Chris Burt

Guest Bretty

Hi all,

Try casting to desired spot. Put a section of bicycle innertube over spool. You can then wind line on top of the inner tube with a perfect line lay and when you hook a fish line can still come off the spool even when under innertube.

Also when casting at night you can watch line peeling off (innertube) spool so have idea of distance left when casting. And the lead won't try and pull you in after it as it comes to a smoother stop wink.gif

Bretty smile.gif

Guest Gaffer

On the subject of line clips, here's a good tip given to me by Wordbender.

Bait-Band.jpg

It utilises a bait-band which cushions the stopping motion without loosing accuracy.

Also, if you do get a run before unclipping the bait-band, the bait-band will snap before the main-line.

It really does work, even a heavy lead is stopped without a jerk and without the bait-band snapping. (there's nothing worse than watching your hook-link tangle as the lead comes to a dead stop!)

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest Alan Pearce

Gaffer and Wordbender, the use of the bait band is a great idea. I must add though that the use of a line marker is a must, I have tried variouse grades of soft pole elastic for stop knots a lot in the past but have always found them prone to slipping out of position. Better still IMO opinion is to use either 10lb mono or power gum.

What Chris Burt says about making a record in your note book is very sound advice. When I used to do a lot of carp fishing I kept a number of reel spools marked up with numbers on them that corresponded to the swims fished and clealy indicated in my note book. That way for mid week sessions when I would often arrive after dark I had confidence that the bait placings would be exactly wher I wanted them to be. Nowadays I still use similar principles for after dark fishing for other species. I will now incorporate the bait band principle.

Never to old to learn, thanks.

Alan.

Guest poledark

Spot on gaffer the only comment I can add is to use a bit of pole elastic. Put a knot in one end, tuck it into the clip and after casting loop the other end round the line and back into the clip. This holds well for casting but will(and does) pull out if you get a biggun.