mullet madness

tonyx5610

took my boy fishing tonight ,found a shoal of mullet that were suicidal for the bread, also they werent easily scared as they usually are .in 2 hours caught 6 mullet to 5lb and a bass 1lb all were returned alive and well. has anyone else seen mullet being so aggressive in taking bread before?

tonyx5610:

fishing in the river tawe in swansea about half mile upstrem from barrage

Hi Tony,

Not a good idea to publicise where the fish are.

A few times that's happened and the netsmen have moved in shortly afterwards :(

Glad you found some fish though :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I was about to move this to the sea fishing forum until I saw it was from a river :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good days' fishing tonyx, you're making a lot of us blankers jealous!

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I thought mullet madness was something usually encountered on the Trent. Often accompanied by the obligatory moustache.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Guest sslatter

I live in an area where three rivers meet and form a long estuarine waterway. One river estuarine stretch is 5 minutes from my door, and both the mullet and bass "go mad" for bread. It's the accepted hot bait in that particular place. Just a few miles away is the easternmost of the three rivers, where there is a little-known and relatively inaccessible area of marsh creeks. Here the mullet do not touch bread, and I've yet to discover a bait they'll accept. The bass, on the other hand, will only take bread when the tide is running off. At all other times they studiously ignore it, seemingly-intent on catching the small fish (that I think are a type of smelt) that also proliferate in that area.

And Leon's right about the netsmen. Any sniff of a shoal of mullet or bass and they'll be about. Last year some of the locals were even thinking of taking the law into their own hands where two particular individuals were concerned. Anyway..have fun with the mullet.

All the best.

Guest sslatter
Howard 13:

What do the netsman want mullet for?

I thought they weren't realy edible? :confused:

HB.

Do a Google with "grey mullet" and you'll find plenty of culinary hits. Some people seem to regard them as a bit of a delicacy. Shame, as it takes so long for a mullet to grow.

They might not be so eager to think of them as a delicacy if they realised what the mullet regularly feed on - mud from the bottom of harbours - full of heavy metal deposits from rusting mooring chains, oil, etc.....not to mention the fact that one of the mullet's favourite feeding places are around and about poo'y sewage outfalls......yuck!!

On the basis that a 3lber is about 10 years old, just imagine the internal build up of nasty substances in the fish!!