River Bure Horning

Norfolkdipper

I am planning on opening mt season at Horning, on Saturday. I plan to fishing from the west bank oppersite the 'Ferry' pub. Can anyone give any details on - water ( Av depth,flow rate & boat traffic at present), is this bank public or private? I have read details on the section for a few years ago & would like to know if water still as good. Thanks for any help.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

It is certainly still a prolific stretch of river. However, it is run and maintained by the NDAA, membership can be gotten from Angling Direct, Aylsham Rd and Lathams, Po' Heigham, that I know of. It costs about £18 (not sure of this years prices) but you get access to other VERY good fishing areas too.

http://www.ndaa.org.uk/

Responds well to leger/feeder tactics, I have always found the flow/boat traffic to be too much a disturbance when float fishing myself. Evening can produce very good catches of bream and roach, with the odd bonus rudd thrown in and of course hybrids. Many perch if you use a worm/maggot and pike if you lure or D/B. L/B is not permitted by the NDAA.

Hope that helps,

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

think that stretch is known as woodbastwick, stuffed full of fish,you can catch on float even with heavy boat traffic ( im on one myself next week lol ) you just need to fish slightly over depth with plent of weight spread down your line and hold back hard the bites can be tiny hit everything that does not look normal once you get used to the pattern of waves. avoid maggot and use corn for the better fish.

good luck :D

It is certainly still a prolific stretch of river. However, it is run and maintained by the NDAA, membership can be gotten from Angling Direct, Aylsham Rd and Lathams, Po' Heigham, that I know of. It costs about £18 (not sure of this years prices) but you get access to other VERY good fishing areas too.

http://www.ndaa.org.uk/

Responds well to leger/feeder tactics, I have always found the flow/boat traffic to be too much a disturbance when float fishing myself. Evening can produce very good catches of bream and roach, with the odd bonus rudd thrown in and of course hybrids. Many perch if you use a worm/maggot and pike if you lure or D/B. L/B is not permitted by the NDAA.

Hope that helps,

Renrag

Thanks for the reply & great infomation. Not that it makes much difference, but which end would you fish? the road end or the far end, With the flow I should think the far end would give more varied swims. Oh well answering my own questions now. I have emailed NDAA for day permit details, thanks for the link. Have a good season yourself. Thanks again Mark.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Thanks for the reply & great infomation. Not that it makes much difference, but which end would you fish? the road end or the far end, With the flow I should think the far end would give more varied swims. Oh well answering my own questions now. I have emailed NDAA for day permit details, thanks for the link. Have a good season yourself. Thanks again Mark.

Scouted it today, took a while to find the right road,(forgot sat nav). Surface full of fry, traffic not to bad & it is NDAA. As new member, £21, but how much would a season of day ticket cost? Water has plenty of colour & not running to fast when I was there. Should be going Thursday, so will post catch report that evening. Really looking forward to it now. Iguess my report will help you plan your tactics for next week. Have a good holiday. Mark.

I certainly look forward to a report too! I always prefer weekdays there, less busy on the river and bank myself.

Its all good, the whole stretch is brimming with fish. Try a few swims, you'll soon pick a favourite.

Might see you down there someday B)

Have a great time KAYC.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I would like that very much :D :D . Love swapping exagerated stories <_< . Weather looking ok, light showers so not not to sunny, just nice. Will post pics of any good fish. I wouldnt like to drive the lane at night, bet that would be spooky as so narrow. But lovely spot once you are there. How does the entry to the marina fish from that bank usually? I guess the boat traffic stirs up the bottom all the time, making it easy feeding for the fish & hides the line in the cloud. Dont know about you but wish I was there already. Always know when I've had a good day, still got some cigs left at end of day, slow hard days & I tend to smoke too much. On the best days I still have an unopened lunch, nowadays those days are few & far apart. I will be there quite often, as fed up with blanking at lakes supposed to be full of carp :angry: . Am giving up on carp from now on. I would also like to find a good spot for a weekend session. Prehaps we could meet then.

Next entry will be my report.

thanks again Mark.

Day 1 report.

Got to start at just passed 6am ( left here at 04.30). Water flat calm & appeared slow on surface, very strong under current, over cast but warm & dry. Set up with 2 x ledger rigs, nothing happened. changed to mixed magots & maggot feeder, bang bang bang, first cast on feeder - 1lb roach,( caught before nets set up, so released with thanks). re-set rod, cast out again, 1 minute later 2nd rod went mad. 1 1/2 bl perch, (eventually), while reeling in, 1st rod went again, landed the perch & grabbed 2nd rod. Another 1lb+ roach. Re-set 1st rod & cast out. turned to reset 2nd rod & bang. 1st rod had gone again, 2lb perch. That's how it was for 3hrs, til 9am. Did hook a large bream(estimated at 5lb), was bring it in (fighting all the way), taking 10mins? Saw it surface at about 10ft out, lowered landing net, (feeling great now), presented net to fish (while praising my self), fish touched net rim & (you're right), splash & gone. Evenutally landing a 20lb mix of - Roach, perch & even a couple of 1lb dace, (yes 1lb). funny thing is :- when I reacted to bites, bigest fight casme from the smaller fish, large fish nearlt goit to bank beforer running. Thought several times I had missed take & was just retieving tackle, till they got close. Perch were the best fighters, even had tench bubbling just under rod tip, but no luck there today. My first river session of nearly 15 yrs, til the boats woke up & the traffic built up around 09.30. Then all went quiet. final result - boats 4 line smashes & 1 rod tip. More tackle to buy as 2 reels stripped. Usuall reply " sorry didn't see you" ( from less than a rod length out. ) Had to grab rods & cut line 3 times. Broke 1 rod tip section, but it can't dmapen my day. Will I go back- to bloody right I will, but at 4am next time to get the time in. After blanking on carp lake for 3 yrs, it's nice to smell like a fish factoey again.

Line 6lb, hooks 10/12 to nylon & tied direct, maggot feeder large, (2 pint of mixed just lasted), casting to 3/4 distance. Emmediately found a shoal of roach, dace & perch. Bream just the one, they seemed s bit nervouse. as regards conditiion of fish so soon after spawning - perfect, size, colour & weight. Left just after 1pm as heavy rain started, got into car as it poured down, timmed that right then. A great day. Need to take 6 pints next time, no action on worms today.

Day 1 Horning

What a day.

6am. Marina entrance peg. (I want that peg again)

Weather

Clouded over, warm & dry, wind light from the west (behind me), very light shower mid morning( didn't need brolly), Showers turning to rain after 1pm.

Set rods up for ledgering with sliding lead, nothing. Switched to Maggot feeder & bang, (thought before'why 2 rod limit), I could only find time to cast out one rod then bait second rod, only to have to retrieve first rod, 1lb roach. Cast second rod & same again, 2lb perch. Missed a lot/ lost a lot, but it was strke one then the other for nearly 3 hrs, exhausting. I eventually had to stop casting just to allow me to breathe & bait both rods. Thought that should do it, how wrong I was, casted first rod, turned to second rod & bang first rod went. Even had the dreaded double take, hence why I lost so many. Leaving second rod on bank, (feeder emptying on my feet), brought in other rod 1lb (yes 1lb) dace, casted out second rod & once again bang before I could bait up other rod. It was like that for nearly 3 hrs. Lost a good bream (5-7lb), just as it felt the rim of landing net. 10min fight then loose it at 10' out, sick. As I look out from peg - Roach / dace to left & 3/4 way across river, Perch right in front of marina entrance & bream to trhe far right. Tench bubbling under rod tip but not biting. I took the maggot, worms, mixer & breadcrumb, only needed the maggots. Will try casting PVA bags of maggots to start them feeding next time, 20 - 30 minutes before I cast out.

9am The boats started moving, everything went dead for a while, but slowly came back after an hour.

I nearly lost 2 rods through boats to close to bank, 1 rod was tip smashsed, although each time they say the same " sorry didn't see you" they were that close I could have jumped on board, (that is an argument for another time). Nothing could spoil my day today, ended up with just over 20lb of really healthy fish, Perch, roach & dace. My bigget smash was from a20lb+ pike on maggots as well, all I saw was the huge mouth bite through the line & then the side as it swam away. Just hjow hungry can they be?

More in one morning that 3 yrs on carp lakes. Must be there for first light next time to get 5-6 hrs in before boats start.

Today's tackle

Rod 1 - 13' quiver tip

Rod 10' stiff action(but bending every bite)

Line 6lb mono

Maggot feders (6 gone)

Hooks 12 loose tied direct

Hooks 10 to mylon used as back up.

Bait 1 pint reds & 1 pint whites.(egg cup full left)

Shopping list

6lb line on 2 reels(stripped by boats- good tip keep a sharp blade or scissors very close).

New rod tip

Maggot feeders( all taken by boats)

Minimum 6 pints maggots(3 red & 3 white)

More hooks sz 10 & 12(full of maggots & being taken in)

Another shot dispenser ( all used relacing boat smashes)