PB Shaken

Jeff S

This morning I found a new venue. There is a lot of cover and it's very accessable. It's about 4 acres. Not to mention its practically 5 minutes from home.

I spent 4 hours lure fishing to no avail this morning from about 6 to 10am. Then went to my local canal and caught 5 pike all under a pound and two perch that were almost the same size as my lure.

The highlight of the day was this evening a new personal best from the pond I fished this morning. Pouring down rain and all I can say is it was over 30 inches. :D:D My scale can't handle that weight and all I could think to do was get a picture and put it back in the water.

I forgot what it was like to catch something so large with teeth. Left me quite shaken since I didn't really expect it.

I remember reading about a scale that gives an average weight for length on pike. The average being that the fish can weigh more or less given the time of year.

Can anyone help me with a best guess as to weight for the size?

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Mona's scale (which I hasten to add is not very accurate) suggests the length in inches (cubed) divided by 3200 gives the weight in pounds.

ie 30 x 30 x 30 / 3200 = 8.44 lbs.

As you say "over 30 inches" let's assume it was bigger than 8.44, so raise your glasses chaps and chapesses to Dvarcets first ten pounder

The first of many I hope.

[ 26. April 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks Vagabond, That probably is the scale that I was asking about. If I remember correctly it was on the PAC website. I'll check to see.

Back at the pond again this morning. Just a couple of follows and nothing to speak of other than some very large leeches. Love to see the pike that it came off of.

While I was there I was asked by several people including the club manager/owner to remove the pike that I catch to the river. About a hundred yards away. Is this common practice? One of them actually told me that there were some cracking Tench in there and in the same breath told me to toss the pike in the bushes. :mad: I hesitate to scream ignorance but I'd bet those pike contribute to his "cracking tench".

Ah well, I just like to complain. If by chance I catch another and return it to the pond, what do you think the odds are that I'll be asked to leave?

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Dvarcet:

While I was there I was asked by several people including the club manager/owner to remove the pike that I catch to the river. About a hundred yards away. Is this common practice? One of them actually told me that there were some cracking Tench in there and in the same breath told me to toss the pike in the bushes. :mad: I hesitate to scream ignorance but I'd bet those pike contribute to his "cracking tench".

What they've asked you to do is illegal - transferring fish from water to water requires a Section 30 consent from the Environment Agency which involves health checks etc etc. If they kick you out for a) refusing to do something illegal or B) refusing to kill fish then quite frankly it's not somewhere I'd care to be anyway.

There is still a lot of ignorance about pike, hence the comments you got. If you remove large pike all you get is an explosion of small pike because big pike like nothing more than a small one as a snack! Pike maintain the balance in the water, and as you surmised, it's odds-on if they had no pike you'd have a lot of small tench and not so many big ones.

[ 27. April 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Dave P - you took the words out of my mouth - removing and relocating pike in this way is both illegal and unintelligent.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I thought it was illegal. I've seen many many threads on AN about moving fish from different locations. I was half way tempted to explain what happens after a total pike cull.

A pile of dirt has been added recently to prevent fish being washed into this pond from the river when it floods. So I can see the argument. As it is, the fish came from the river to begin with.

I found myself wondering whether I should keep fishing there today. If I caught anything I was going to return it regardless. What I don't need is to come to blows over something that I believe in. Not that I wouldn't hesitate. :D:D I am a guest here in the UK and it certainly wouldn't make it any easier. I'll find out either way how long it takes to be asked to leave. :mad:

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

if theres cracking tench in there why spoil the natural balance which is so easy to do. Id leave the pike and that alone just go there have a fish and enjoy the cracking fish that come from it. Let nature do its thing as it has been for 2000 years now and on most waters (like rivers) done no harm it us humans that do all the harm

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

Pike are the boss in any envioronment they control fish stocks they will kill for food unlike zander who kill for the sake of it.Pike will kill weak and sick fish so they don't pollute the water when dead and eat deadfish that are polluting. it is a bad idea to introduce new fish because of disease and unbalanced diets. :D:D