Chichester Canal Sussex

Guest Graeme

Guest Graeme

Has anybody on here fished Chichester Canal in Sussex? My Brother and fished it today for the second time using lures in the hope of catching a pike (or two!).

Despite trying a wide range of lures and fishing the places you would expect to hold fish i.e. the deeper holes,against moored barges,under bridges ,against reed beds etc.... we didn't get a touch(or even a follow.)We usually lure fish local rivers for pike(sometimes we even catch some!!)but as most aren't really fishable at the moment, the canal looked a good prospect, nice and clear and looking decidely pedunkle!

So has anyone fished this venue, or have bright ideas what to try next.(it's now a matter of honour,we are determined to at least a jack from the canal!)

Tight lines

Graeme.

Guest Nik Whalley

Fished the Chichester Canal for eels about 4 years ago and caught a number of small jacks to 5lb on 3inch roach deads. As far as I can remember all the fish came during the morning. Spent quite a while walking the banks during the day and talking to locals (plenty of carpers). No reports of large pike but I wasn't being that specific. Saw one fish of around ten pounds near the marina mouth whilst rowing so this may well be a worth while area to try if you haven't done so - I'd imagine it would be a good holding place for prey fish too.

Tight lines

------------------

"Nature" Nik

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm no pike expert, but I have heard from a few people that fish it, that pike up to 20 pounds can be found in the river. Try the end in the actual town.

Guy.

I was on the Canal today. It was nasty weather but a good morning for fishing. I spoke with the Bailiff who told me, as Guy says, the Pike in there are up to and above 20lb. Most are landed in the winter from the Basin in Chichester itself. The Basin is closed to fishing until October but you can Fish for Pike along the rest of the Canal throughout the year.

I am taking some Spratt and Mack Tails over there this evening to give it a shot. I must admit, I tried a lure this morning after finding out but it wasn't productive either. I will let you know how the deadbait goes.

I am the one that got away! (From the men in white coats)

I am taking some Spratt and Mack Tails over there this evening to give it a shot.

Reporting back on last night - Nothing <_< Instead, I thought I'd go back over this morning and give it a shot. I looked for some nice features on the Canal and tried but nothing again. For Pike to refuse Mack tails and Spratt is quite uncommon. I have to think that they are higher up the Canal. The old boys on the Canal have a theory that the fish move up towards Chichester through the Summer (The bit you can't fish). Fibbing? :huh: I think I shall wait it out till Winter anyhow and try the Basin. I'll give you a shout in October lol!

In short then, Over the last few years of this post we have discovered..... well, nothing there to catch.

P-J

I am the one that got away! (From the men in white coats)