Why do they do it???.

Guest Keith Finn

• 31 years later...
Guest Keith Finn

Went out for an hour or Four lure fishing on the local lake on Sunday.

Well I pull up in to the carpark and can see only two "Carp Anglers" on the whole lake and then they are fishing sat on the island.Thought to myself " Great, I can get a good walk and fish a few swims here".

Start setting up the gear as another angler pulls up with same idea as me.

Have a good old chinwag and decide he will start on the left of the lake and I will start on the right and meet in the middle, then he will work my side and me his to see what they are taking.

I find, as I start casting, that one carp angler has the whole near bank stitched up with his lines!. Do not forget he is sitting on the Island and is casting to the furthest point on the lake.

Now that counted me casting any where that section of Lake as I would then have fouled up his lines after only a 20ft cast.

Walk to the other side of the lake and find "Carp Angler no2" has that side all stitched up.

That now leaves only a third of the lake left, so I decide to go and have chinwag with other lure angler.( If you now log on " Hi Rob".)

We are sitting there comparing different lures when we see the "Carp Anglers" get out a boat and row out to the margins to re-place their hookbaits and put out a little bit more feed!!!!.

They could have walked over the bridge, walked round and put their baits in by hand.

Gobsmacked was not the word.

We packed up and went somewhere else.

Keith

Guest JOHN HEPWORTH

Keith, Thats the reason my profile reads the way it does

------------------

JOHN HEPWORTH(CSG)

[This message has been edited by JOHN HEPWORTH (edited 08 January 2001).]

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, I must confess in the past to using a bit more lake than I'm entitled to, but only when I'm the only angler on the lake, then if any other angler came along I'd reel in and fish 'closer to home'.

The reason I fished at that distance would be because I'd set up my rods and after not having any action decided to cast one of my rods to a fish.(a fish that is rolling, crashing, topping, head'n'shouldering, etc)

I know you shouldn't have to and I'm not making excuses for them, but why didn't you ask them (nicely, at first) to move their rods to within their own swims?

Or report them to the fishing club?

I know I would have!

------------------

All the best,

Gaffer

Guest thecarpangler

Unfortunately carp angling does attract it's share of pig ignorant sods.

But to a lesser extent so do other factions of the sport.

I could give examples but people would only see it as defending the carp anglers, so I wont bother.

Guest loonyl

Thankfully,

I know am still a beginner , and know nothing !

All the people I've met whilst fishing

have been very knowledgable, friendly and helpful.

Whether they are fishing for roach, carp,

pike or tench !

Maybe I am niave, but the people I have met,

some who have been fishing for 40+ years

have always been a help, and never classified

me as a beginner, or a bream , roach ,

idiot, fisherman.

We are all out there, trying to out fox the fish , whatever shape and size they are,

whilst at the same time trying to enjoy the peace , countryside, and meeting other anglers.

Cheers

Liam

ps An expert Piker may be a crap , carper

and vice verser.

Theres a lot to learn, and a lot of helpful people out there.

Keith - how about rigging a big trebble hook with enough weight to cast it a mile and then trolling for their lines. You could drag their lines out of the way (and make their bite alarms really scream) and get your fishing done.

The only way to deal with a really rude idiot (and you found at least two of them) is to simply be more rude by an order of magnitude or more. It should at least provide a basis for a discussion of their "hogging" the water.

If you ever have this problem on a river with power boaters, you need to substitute a spod for the trebbles though. You really do not want to hook a power boat.

Guest Rob Ward

Hi Keith,

I was the other lure angler. I regularly Carp Fish that lake in the Summer and what I could not understand was why the guy needed to boat his bait out, he was fishing a known hotspot with an overhanging tree that is no more than a fifty yard cast. The scary thing was the idiot took his young lad (about six years old) out with him on a tiny inflatable dingy.

Guest Danny H

We have definetely had discussion before, and no doubt we will again.- but in time I'm sure we'll have to learn to co-exist.

I do see lots of anglers get twitchy when we hove into view, with lures, so there must be

grief to both sides of the coin.

But as more people lure fish some balance will appear.

I personally hate dragging through lines, I find it embarrassing disturbing a line that has been out all night or whatever, and I try to avoid.

I guess we need to get our own river bank space.

As an aside good to see that Wilstone in summer is peopled by more rovers than gnomes these days.- don't take offence friendly banter