Why do they do it???.

Guest Keith Finn

Guest david platt

HI All,

IMO,The carp anglers you are complaining about are being very selfish,but dont put it down to carp fishing,these sort of people would show the same mentality no matter what sport they enjoyed,be it darts, football,golf

or hop scotch its the mindless ignorent attitude that gives carp anglers bad names,

I fish for carp quite a lot,but I also consider others on the lodges I fish,

there is no need for all this antagonism between fellow anglers smile.gifbiggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by david platt (edited 10 January 2001).]

Guest thecarpangler

Have to agree with Malc on this one.

I said earlier in the thread that I wouldn't comment too much as this would be seen as defending the carp anglers.

But once again the carpers are to blame.

It's alright to drift a bait 200 yards across a lake but it's wrong to fish the far margin with boilies.

Yes, some carpers need bloody shooting, but other branches of the sport are just as guilty of selfishness.

Everyone had a right go at Paul Selman when he tried to defend carp anglers on this site, now it appears to be rearing its head again. mad.gif

I need time to cool off.....

I usually walk on by when other people are fishing because as has already been pointed out, nobody likes to hook another anglers line.

I have occasionally been known to become quite obnoxious though and an incident on the severn at Hawksbatch springs to mind.

I was wandering the river with a lure rod (unusually for me, the tackle was fairly heavy) and dropping lures here and there when a guy on the other bank anounced that I was fishing in his swim. Looking at the next peg up, I could see his feeder and baited hook sitting in less than 1m of water with Swans activly feeding on the free offerings

- it was obviously only a matter of time.....

Before I had chance to say anything, the idiot on the far bank decided that all sorts of unpleasant terms fitted me perfectly and took it upon himself to tell me so. Needless to say, my next cast "accidentaly" hooked his feeder causing him to grab the rod and start pumping violently whist swearing even more. He kept on pumping and swearing until the feeder and my lure were perhaps 3/4 of the way accross the river - I had spliped the bail arm off and was feeding him line.

At that point I enguaged to bail arm and gave him a quick demonstration of just how violently you can pump with 15kg braid and a heavy spinning rod. As the line parted and both sets of tackle came flying in my direction, he seemed to just sort of colapse and muttered "Thanks mate" before turning round and starting to pack up.

Unknown to me, my fishing partner had walked up behing me during this and was trying hard not to p**s himself laughing. It wasn't until he told me latter that I realised I hadn't said a word thoughout the whole incident - I just sat there smilling...

Not a tactic that I'd recomend but hey....Its a fun storey.

------------------

<'>>>><

` `

Fishing the far margin not a sucsessful tactic!RUBBISH!It is one of the most effective tactics I know! BUT(here we go again)only if it is done correctly.The big advantage of this method is that it enables you to fish in a margin that will not be disturbed.eg fishing tight up to a far bank reed bed etc SO WHY THE HECK THESE CRAP YOBS insist on using this method into an acsessable far bank swim is totally beyond me!!!!or most Carp Boys either!!!! mad.gif I wont get into the old argument again as I refuse to upset Paul again(he really is a nice guy with a good sense of humour,you know.He just has trouble seeing our point! wink.gif)Needless to say there are good and bad in all areas just that with Carp angling being so popular it tends to be more prominent.

Please note that is my first use of the CY word this year. biggrin.gif

Guest Rob Ward

I'm primarily a Carp Angler myself but between two of them they cornered off a third of the lake from the island when the swims they were fishing could have been more easily fished from the bank.

How can lure fishing be selfish when you're only fishing one swim at a time?

Guest mpbdsnu

Because, Rob, YOU are expecting to be able to fish where YOU want at any given time - that's why! I see your point and indeed that of others - but as I keep on saying - there ARE two sides to this. Fishing from the island and tying up the far margin - and therefore a third of the lake IS WRONG! No doubt about it and I have not at any stage denied that.

Please try to imagine it - YOU are sitting there quite happy with yer mate fishing for carp - lines out all over the place (wrong but nobody else is on the lake). When along come two other anglers, time to real the lines in, but hang on mate lets see where they are going to fish first. Oh I see they are going to lure fish, well if they think I am going to reel my lines in just so they can have the freedom of the lake, they have got another thing coming (or words to that effect). So what do I do, either I can be totally obnoxious, or I can be reasonable and wait to see if they object? Do they ask me to bring my lines in - no they do not so I leave them where they are. SIMPLE - Did you ask Rob? Or anyone else? From what has been said so far NO - nobody did! So, please look at it from both sides.

I'm not necessarily "sticking up for the carpers" - I'm involved in all aspects of the sport myself, I am speaking up for fairness, as I feel it is UNFAIR to singler out carpers in the first place. And UNFAIR to expect to be able to roam to all areas of the lake (a small lake too) when there are others present.

A similar thing happens to me around June last year I was fishing on a small lake (around 3 acres) on my own and with two lines out towards the centre, and along came about 4 - 5 lads 18 o 25 yrs of age. They begin casting out in front of mealmost across my lines and most certainly in my swim. One yell of "OI" did the trick. They realised their error and the problem was resolved. It is no good moaning about it afterwards - get it sorted!

Guest Rob Ward

I'm not expecting to be able to fish where I like, lure fishing is no more selfish than stalking Carp. I do however think that it was unreasonable behaviour by the anglers concerned to corner off such a large area of the lake to themselves. One of them had at least one rod out for Pike incidentally and one of them was walking around the Island with a lure rod himself.

Unfortunately the water in question is not somewhere that objections are taken to kindly, an element of the anglers on the lake can be unreasonable to the point of violence.

I am not having a go at Carpers as I said I am a Carp angler myself. The fact is that these two individuals could have fished the same spots (all in the margins) from the bank rather than the island and not sectioned off a third of the lake in the process. That's just basic common sense and consideration for other anglers.

Guest mpbdsnu

We weren't talking about stalking carp for one thing so lure fishing in this instance should not be compared with it, and for another I sense a teeny weeny bit of exageration over the whole thing!

First they were fishing for carp with their lines out all over the place, with one of them lure fishing around the island. Now you are saying that another had a line out for carp as well? I'm sorry but it just doesn't all ring right to me???

Guest Rob Ward

Just to clarify, one of them definately had a rod out for Pike as Keith pointed out his deadbait float in the far bank margin. One of them was also walking around the Island with a lure rod leaving his rods un-attended.

Another thing, the reason I compared stalking Carp to lure fishing is that you are only fishing in one spot at a time with one rod so it can hardly be regarded as selfish.