Sick sitye near were i work ......

dav

Near were i work in thornaby there has always been a pond , which is about 5 ft deep and about 100m long by about 30m wide ,,,,,last year a company near by got planning permission to fill the pond in and re site it somewere near by so they could put a car park on the site , , now the work has started and to my horror , its been assessed by some company who said the pond has signal crayfish in , so they cannot re site the pond and its in habitants , as apparantly they have classed everything in the pond as contaminated due to it having signal crayfish in and they say they cannot risk loosing crayfish into the drains etc etc ,,,the trouble is , i have been speaking to the lads who are draining the pond and they said they have been told to just dig a pit near by which they have done and pump the water into it and catch everything and kill them ,,,,,today the pond is nearly empty and they have been going around netting the fish and hitting them over there heads and burrying them ,,,,,,, so far i seen about 15 big crayfish , and a load of rudd ,roach perch carp etc etc ,,,,,,some of the perch were over 2lb , which i feel is a shame , this pond also has carp upto 14lb in it , with some ghost koi mirrors and common carp in it which they have not got as yet , yesterday i phoned the ea to inform them , but apparantly they already know , i also phoned the rspca as i thought this action was sick what they are doing , , i mean the job isnt even a good one because the pit they have dug is now overflowing into the storm drain , so if they are that concerned about spreading crayfish thats not a good way to prevent this happening , the rspca officer arrived today and said he couldnt do much about it but would ring around to find more out ...i really feel sickened that this is allowed to happen as the locval river tees is already overflowing with crays and just about everywere else , why couldnt they just re site thepond and everything in it ,,,,,,and to me there wouldnt of been a problem at all, a few weeks ago i was walking around the pond watching thousands of fry , which included perch , rudd etc etc ,,,,,,,,

I am just venting my fury as i think the ea have done a very bad thing in allowing this to happen , ther is also frogs n newts in there , what apparantly can be saved as they said these species can be cleaned and re sited ,,,,,,,,,whats going on ,,,,,,,,,,absoloutly devastated .............

ignore my english and grammer , i am just furious with it all...........cheers

I fully understood this right up to the point where it was pointed out that there are signals already in the local waters.

I don't live that far away and have waters close by where the white clawed crayfish lives. They can be killed by the plague spread by signals and other fish from the signals water can carry that plague I believe, if those fish have ingested signal cray products, including signals themselves.

It would be stupid to allow the signals to get into these last remnants of the white clawed's terrotories in this country, which are only a few miles from thornaby BUT there are waters which pose a risk much nearer to the white clawed's last bastions, wouldn't it have been a sensible matter to place the fish in effective quarantine in the new pond for a few months?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

I am not upto speed on crayfish etc , but thinking about it these particular crayfish i seen in the buckets did have white claws on the underside , are they signals ? im not sure , what i thought they may of done was to dig another pond and place all in habitants into it and for me there wouldnt of been a problem , but to kill healthy looking fish which apperead to of been surviving ok putting on good weights is sickening to say the least , i mean the years ive stalked them big carp in there , to see them slaughtered in such a manner is a shame indeed ...,,,,,,,,

Last time you raised this topic I asked for some details about it to see if I could influence things with a few contacts I have but never got a response, bit late now

If there are any signals in the water then the EA have done the right thing in destroying everything in the pond for the greater benefit of the Tees in general

There are no signal crays as yet in the middle or lower Tees but I am aware of signals being reported above Winston where they are present and displacing the native whiteclaw. If the crays that are in the pond are native whiteclaw then the firm filling in the pond is in serious breach of the wildlife and countryside act and could be jailed or fined heavily if guilty

If they have done an environmental assesment as part of the planning process and had a report compiled by an independantly recognised organisation then the relavent authorities i.e. the environment ageny, would have insisted on eradication of all living things in the pond to preserve the endangered native whiteclaw of which the upper Tees in noted for

It is a shame about the bigger fish but we have to look at the bigger picture

Hiya brian , sory if i never responded to ure message some time ago , i think it may of been because my pc went down or somthing and the fact i havent been on here for a while ,,,,,sorry if i didnt ,,,,anyway , apparantly the frogs n newts could be saved as they are supose to be able to get cleaned up ,,,,,,

its just very frustrating ,,,i mean they said they cannot afford to let anything escape into the system ,,,,,,the best part about it all is ,,,,the pit they have pumped the water into has overflowed and was flowing into the drain yesterday ,,,,,,so for me if they didnt want water to get into the tees ,,,its to late ,,,,,like i said if they were signals were did they come from with them being so close to the tees ,,,,,,could they of been whiteclawed variety ? i dont know ,,,,what i do know if they were big and very dfark in colour with white bits under there claws ,,,,,,the least they could of done was to just dig another pond and put all in habitants in it ,,,,and for me there would never of been a problem,,,,,it would still be there if it were not for this company wanting to make a car park so why all the fuss now .........its very sad