perch advice

prendy power!

Hi I want to go fishing for perch will this work?

Look at a likely area for perch like some reeds. Prebait with maggots to hopefully draw in some roach and therefor bringing in some perch. Caste a lure out and retreave beat I can.

Can you also give me any other infomation to help me start off.

cheers

Dan :thumbs:

Dan

Lure fishing's fine, but you can continue with the maggots actually on the hook, especially red ones for perch.

If you can get a shoal of perch fighting over the maggots, I usually fish slight further down stream. You sometimes find that the bigger fish allow the smaller one fight over the free offerings and they just pick up the leftovers as they drift away. Worm and prawn are good alternatives, especially for the larger fish.

Good hunting.

Michael

cheers micheal,

do you mean putting maggots on the lures hooks as well as prebaiting? I am desperate to use my catapult.

dan :fishing:

Dan

Lure fishing's fine, but you can continue with the maggots actually on the hook, especially red ones for perch.

If you can get a shoal of perch fighting over the maggots, I usually fish slight further down stream. You sometimes find that the bigger fish allow the smaller one fight over the free offerings and they just pick up the leftovers as they drift away. Worm and prawn are good alternatives, especially for the larger fish.

Good hunting.

Michael

Had a couple yesterday to lives not massive maybe 2lb but amazing what they can get in there gobs ,Steve Burke is the fella to ask off here .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Had a couple yesterday to lives not massive maybe 2lb but amazing what they can get in there gobs ,Steve Burke is the fella to ask off here .

Hi Dan, welcome to AN.

As above, Steve Burke is the main man for all things perchy.

I don't think Steve will mind if I point you in the direction of some of his articles.

Enjoy. :D

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...ch-fishing.html

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...ch-fishing.html

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/coarse-fishing...erch-baits.html

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...teve_burke.html

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

cheers micheal,

do you mean putting maggots on the lures hooks as well as prebaiting? I am desperate to use my catapult.

dan :fishing:

No, believe he meant put maggots on a 'normal' hook and fish either underneath a float or by legering in the vicinity. Although lures are good and can work for perch, I would say either use a maggot or worm to get the best from most swims.

Use your catapult every 30s to a minute and fire out half a dozen maggots at a time around your float. This will create a 'feeding frenzy' much like is seen in the terrible film 'Piranha' :lol:

Read those articles gozzer linked, they will help you a lot.

Have fun,

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

i would be more inclined to twitch a nice fat juicy lob worm through the swim with a sized 14/16 hook using a small loafer float about 4g should do it on say a 2-3lb hook length.

To twitching a lob worm you cast past your pre-baited of maggots. turn the handle of your reel sharply one whole turn or half turn, wait a few seconds (5-10) and sharply turn again. do this through your swim until you cant reel no more and repeat :D

-

No, believe he meant put maggots on a 'normal' hook and fish either underneath a float or by legering in the vicinity. Although lures are good and can work for perch, I would say either use a maggot or worm to get the best from most swims.

Use your catapult every 30s to a minute and fire out half a dozen maggots at a time around your float. This will create a 'feeding frenzy' much like is seen in the terrible film 'Piranha' :lol:

Read those articles gozzer linked, they will help you a lot.

Have fun,

Renrag

are you sure, ive seen many many people put maggots on the end of each hook point of a treble on things like tobies up ma canal.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Thanks For all of your advice, it is much apprecieted.

Next time I get out I will Pre bait, And lure fish, but if it does not work I will do the cool worm thing.

are you sure, ive seen many many people put maggots on the end of each hook point of a treble on things like tobies up ma canal.

No I'm not after re-reading the post lol. I think the nod towards bait fishing at the end swayed me.

I just hope he catches however he fishes. Good one on the worm twitch!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue