I'm really glad the fish weren't biting

Newt

Otherwise not sure I'd have gotten my boat off the lake in spite of the weather prediction. And BTW - I got the boat on the trailer and out of the water at about 7pm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

quote:

South central North Carolina central and western South Carolina

Effective this Saturday evening from 640 PM until 1100 PM EDT.

Hail to 2 inches in diameter... thunderstorm wind gusts to 55 mph... and dangerous lightning are possible in these areas.

The Severe Thunderstorm Watch area is along and 70 statute miles either side of a line from 45 miles northwest of Augusta Georgia to 30 miles southeast of Southern Pines North Carolina.

Remember... a Severe Thunderstorm Watch means conditions are favorable for severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements and possible warnings. Severe thunderstorms can and occasionally do produce tornadoes.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Looks a little better for today (I hope). Did a couple hours scouting yesterday before deciding on a spot and trying for fish and did see some activity up toward the dam. Current flow was pretty strong and I decided to fish a friendlier area. But today I think I try in the current. 3oz will probably hold a bait. Probably.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I miss the thunderstorms sometimes.. Not the ones out of Texas though. Right before I left last summer we had one that was as near tornado like than I would care to say. We spent the first 20 minutes in the bathroom with me trying to stay calm and my daughter in the bathtub screaming. It turned out all right of course.

Glad you didn't get stuck in it. Dodging bolts of lightning, and that hail can leave dents in your forehead too. :D

After almost a month with no rain it's been coming down off and on for the past few days. The river is up but still can't fish it with the close season. Makes you appreciate when it's fishable.

Which Dam are you near Newt? There is almost always big fish around them.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Alcoa Aluminum put 4 power dams across the Yadkin River in NC. The best known of the lakes is probably the upper one at High Rock. I'm just below that on Tuckertown.

And there are for sure some nice fish below the dams. But not just now with the amount of water they have moving. The area just below the dam is seriously rocky with a section about 1/2 mile below it that is mostly rocks at or near the surface. You pretty much have to fish above or below that section and I plan to be maybe another half mile below it today - at least to start with.

If the carp aren't cooperating there, I have one other spot in mind maybe a mile below that and if both those are slow, I'll switch to catfishing. Channels are doing pretty well right now and hoperfully I can catch some bluegills and use them to convince a flathead or two that they are hungry.

I think I remember you posting a picture or topography some months back of this place you describe. There has to be some huge cats down there that would take a hand sized bluegill.

Looks like we're in for it tonight. Getting nasty and dark outside. No lightning though I heard some thunder a few days ago.

Cheers

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I did. And would you believe that shortly after that our 8 year dry spell was broken. We've had rain this year like the UK has the past several years.

Needed badly so can't complain but it has made that area unsafe to fish from a boat. Maybe later in summer when things aren't so wet.

We had 4" of rain a couple of days ago, and now another line of storms and rain is moving in for tonight and tomorrow. After 7 months of below normal rain(lots of snow this year, but that is "borrowed" from the lakes, and really doesn't help the moisture deficite), this month is finaly above normal so far. Weather looks to finaly have broken into sprin, grass has now greened up, and even a few leaves have started to break out of buds on the bushes. Trees are still prety much bare, and we had a hard frost last night, but all in all things are looking up.