easily spooked rudd

Andy_1984

i have 3 (2 are 4.5" and 1 at 3") Rudd in my tank for a little over a week now and 2 of the larger rudd spook very easily. simply opening the hatch on the hood and sticking a finger in to feed them flakes causes them to dart around the tank ata alarming speed knocking over plants and sending gravel flying.

its worse when the light is first turned on after they have calmed down they seem a little shy until the light is off.

its so bad when they spook that my two tame Roach (tame as in ive almost got them to a point i could probably hand feed them) and lion head goldfish appear to pick up on this and start to act all shy and scared as well.

anyone know what the problem may be ?

p.s. ive gotten rid of the platties that were bullying the roach & rudd

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Assuming they're wild fish, Andy, they're just doing what has stopped them being dinner for a pike or a heron so far.

Might be worth trying to make them feel safer by providing more cover?

Assuming they're wild fish, Andy, they're just doing what has stopped them being dinner for a pike or a heron so far.

Might be worth trying to make them feel safer by providing more cover?

yes they are wild and that was my initial thoughts as the water they came from is screaming with little jacks but for a few days before all this spooky stuff going on they were fine with the light and the lid opening and thought there may be more ot it than just that.

as for more cover im looking for just the right bit of mangrove root, java moss and some long grass to partition 25% of the tank for hiding purposes.

all the mangrove roots i can find are either not large enough or just look awful. i went as far as trying to make my own kind of root from different variations of branches but again couldnt find any i liked <_<

• 1 month later...

Eating out of your fingers now though aren't they??.... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

oh yeah thats right.

they peck food of my fingers very readily. had my entire hand in the other day to move something and out of nowhere one of the little rudd jumped right in to my cupped hand to eat something of the palm of my hand (not that i had anything for it to eat in my hands) ^_^

bizarre how wild things can turn tame in such a short space of time.

I keep my pond fish 'wild' on purpose. They are spooked by humans. Everyone I know around here can't understand my reasoning behind it, but I just prefer to catch glimpses of them than have them sticking their heads out of the water the minute they see a human. My brother-in-law's do that.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I keep my pond fish 'wild' on purpose. They are spooked by humans. Everyone I know around here can't understand my reasoning behind it, but I just prefer to catch glimpses of them than have them sticking their heads out of the water the minute they see a human. My brother-in-law's do that.

i can understand that in a pond, a bit harder to do in an indoor aquarium as they are used to seeing someone almost 17 hours a day. i still get glimmers of wildness from them, like this morning when they were all guilty as sin looking after one of them smashed the thermometer. they have been a bit spooky all morning.

• 3 weeks later...
yes they are wild and that was my initial thoughts as the water they came from is screaming with little jacks but for a few days before all this spooky stuff going on they were fine with the light and the lid opening and thought there may be more ot it than just that.

as for more cover im looking for just the right bit of mangrove root, java moss and some long grass to partition 25% of the tank for hiding purposes.

all the mangrove roots i can find are either not large enough or just look awful. i went as far as trying to make my own kind of root from different variations of branches but again couldnt find any i liked <_<

Try this.

Buy a small amount of Pinkies or Squatts and whilst standing by your tank drop one in every 5 seconds.

The Rudd will then associate you with good food and be less inclined to panic.

Try this.

Buy a small amount of Pinkies or Squatts and whilst standing by your tank drop one in every 5 seconds.

The Rudd will then associate you with good food and be less inclined to panic.

their no problem now mate. they are still a bit sketchy/unsure and dart about if im in cleaning the tank or putting the plants back in that they uprooted but i dont think they will ever stop that.

My little tench though he's the first to come up to get the food and doesnt get spooked by anything, you can stroke him if you get him eating in one place long enough.