Why is USB modem upload faster than ethernet?

I'm not talking about marginal differences here, my Sppedtouch USB modem is over six times faster on Tiscali Max than my Siemens router. I have tried looking this up on the internet, but all I get are sites saying how much faster ethernet is.

For instance, upload speeds on the router peaks at a pathetic 94Kbps and are often quite lower. Testing on my Speedtouch modem straight afterwards I was getting an upload figure of 632Kbps.

Can anybody see any logic to this or know how to improve it? Tiscali have already sent me a replacement router with new firmware installed, but it hasn't made any difference.

I live only about 100 yards from the telephone exchange by the way.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

damaged cable is a possibility, i have never known a usb modem to be faster then Ethernet connection

very strange :wallbash: may also be a faulty Ethernet port/card

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

No USB modem or Siemens router would get through my front door, let alone be attached to my network. Do yourself a favour and buy yourself a Netgear or D-Link router.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I'll second Netgear, since I bought one I haven't any problems with it at all. Unlike previous routers I might add !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Not having it still Peter? I read through your thread/s in the Tiscali forum. I can't believe that it was a duplex mismatch... Since the router was free, try looking at the MTU size on your router. Since you already ran DrTCP you can follow these steps and see if it makes a difference. Barring that- are you sure screwing with it is worth the amount you would have spent on a new linksys or netgear??? FWIW I thought I read somehere that Siemens no longer supported that model.. You must have alot of patience. I would have melted it down long ago.

Last year my wife ordered AOLs premium wireless.. They sent out an identical Netgear DG834g to the one that I've had for years. And I just gave it away!

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Not having it still Peter? I read through your thread/s in the Tiscali forum. I can't believe that it was a duplex mismatch... Since the router was free, try looking at the MTU size on your router. Since you already ran DrTCP you can follow these steps and see if it makes a difference. Barring that- are you sure screwing with it is worth the amount you would have spent on a new linksys or netgear??? FWIW I thought I read somehere that Siemens no longer supported that model.. You must have alot of patience. I would have melted it down long ago.

Last year my wife ordered AOLs premium wireless.. They sent out an identical Netgear DG834g to the one that I've had for years. And I just gave it away!

It becomes a matter of principle after a while. I can't stand to leave a problem until I've done everything possible to try to solve it. Othere people have achieved better speeds with that router and diagnostics tells me that the ethernet card is worming normally. The MTU is set at 1500, which I believe is what is required. I don't think it was any better with wireless, which eliminates a problem with the ethernet card, but I will have to check that again now to make sure. At least I know that it isn't a problem with the phone line. I did once nearly buy a router, but as Tiscali were offering a free one, it seemed silly to throw about £65 away. I will have to see if somebody is prepared to lend me a decent router to sort it out once and for all.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Hi Steve,

What type of point to point protocol are you using? PPPoA or PPPoE? There isn't much difference between them just that one typically uses a smaller mtu size. Just curious.. Instead of running a speed tester that you downloaded, does your router let you look at the statistics of your connection?

Mine tells me that I am getting downstream at 6944kbps and upstream 448kbps. It also tells me line attenuation and noise margin. MTU is set at 1458 and I am running PPPoA.

The standard mtu for PPPoE should be 1492 and for PPPoA 1500. Each provider may have a preferred size.

Also you should have two different lan cards one for wired and one for wireless. They work independently of each other. When you are using wireless you are in effect using half duplex. You can't send and receive at the same time. Not a big deal if you are just surfing, in fact you will hardly notice.

Last question- Are you using DHCP or static IPs?

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...