cheap dose;nt mean crap

fishtec1312

a few months ago i took my lad for a new reel ,for waggler and teaching him with a stick float when the time came round.i wasnt intending spending alot but wanted something that would last,i had a okuma in mind for about 30 quid ,but when he clapped eyes on the red drennen his mind was made up.since he got it he;s used it about 6 times ,myself about 15, what a reel for 20 quid ,thers a match and feeder and also a more expensive one.but what else would you expect of drenenn

you wouldn't have been unsatisfied with the okuma either. was it an interceptor by chance ?

no andy it was a payback,9 bearings and 5years warrenty,he is happy i saved enough to spool up both reels,and yes you can get a good shimano ,buts whats with the ha ha its not a comp,im just saying you can buy a cheap reel and play a fish off the drag ,without backwineding.you could;nt do that10 years ago with confidence

I think the test of a good reel (no matter how much it costs) is how it's performing after a few years of use. They all seem OK out of the box...

But I agree you don't have to spend the earth to get something half decent.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

you wouldn't have been unsatisfied with the okuma either. was it an interceptor by chance ?

bye the way he has 2 intercepters for carp,pike and barbel,thats why i was after him getting a okuma,and with the warrenty,you dont get shimano,diawa giving that on there reels,even on 100quid reels

bye the way he has 2 intercepters for carp,pike and barbel,thats why i was after him getting a okuma,and with the warrenty,you dont get shimano,diawa giving that on there reels,even on 100quid reels

True but they don't have to, because in general they last! Notwithstanding that, I think the sentiment is accurate: you don't have to spend a fortune to get reasonable quality gear. I'm sure we can all attest to cheap disasters and expensive mistakes. I just think some you win some you lose. ;)

"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

If anything goes wrong with a Daiwa, send it off to their repair centre in Scotland and they'll sort it out for you, usually FOC. I've done it a couple of times, superb after sales service.

I've never had to have a Shimano repaired...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

diawa do have some first class customer care. my mate davie broke a handle on an old big pit reel that had been discontinued, went in a few months ago and the lady gave him a new handle for free. have heard many many other people do this and always been happy.

my 3 okuma interceptors have never went wrong once since i bought them in 2005

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I've got a second hand shimano that was given to me when i started fishing. Since then i have gone through a couple of cheaper reels like the shakespeare omni series, and found them to be not half as good as this old shimano. Honestly if i saw them being sold i'd buy the lot, cracking little fixed spool reels and its just a shame it was given to me with just one spool or i'd use it for all my single rod fishing!!! I can't remember the model i just know it's a shimano

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."