BARBED HOOKS!!!!!!!!

Babar

:mad: :mad:

Im 16 and i will not go fishing with anyone who uses barbed hooks it's cruel and this is supposed to be a sport!!!!!!!

Does anyone think it would be worth put a petition to the EA in order to ban barbed hooks all together all would they not listen???????????

Maybe whisker barb for matches still but i won't even use those. :mad:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Babar, you're entitled to your opinion and if you do a search you'll see that this topic has been covered many times.

For the record I'll only use barbed hooks.

In my experience barbless hooks have more potential to cause damage during the 'playing' of the fish and barbed hooks have the potential to cause more damage on the bank in inexperienced hands.

Welcome to A.N. by the way.

Yes I think there is. Using mediums like this (the internet) we can discuss problem areas such as certain hook sizes & patterns that cause damage, etc. With that in mind I think the best thing we can do is educate lesser experienced anglers to select the right tackle for the right situations and use them in a senible and controlled manner including the safe handling of the fish.

[ 18. February 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

As regulars will know I run my own gravel pit complex. One of the lakes contains perch and there I ban barbless hooks above size 10. This is because they tend to penetrate more deeply and move around in the fish. In fact they can actually kill perch, which have vital organs near the surface of the throat.

On the other hand barbless hooks can cause less damage in unhooking, which can be particularly important at venues where there are a lot of inexperienced anglers.

It's therefore swings and roundabouts, and what's best may depend on the venue. What I do myself is to use barbless hooks in the small sizes, and ones with the smallest barbs I can find in sizes 8 and above.

I agree 100% with Gaffer though - education is the answer.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I only use barbless hooks for coarse fishing.

I use barbed when sea fishing to keep the bait on.

Suffolk beaches have very strong tides with 6-8oz breakaway leads needed the hold bottom!

The arguement for barbed/barbless hooks will rage on for years.

My clubs rule no one "Barbless hooks only"

any angler caught using barbed or even hooks with the barb crushed will be banned for life!

Because of this I dont keep any barbed coarse hooks. (could try one on at night by accident).

When I was a lad we all used barbed hooks.

All of the rudd in the local pond had no lips!

We all taught ourselves how to fish!

I think people should also take a look at some of the hook patterns (carp patterns in particular).

Some are evil looking things and I bet they can do fish damage!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I use microbarbed patterns for 95% of my fishing, feeling that its the best of both worlds.

I'm being absolutely truthful here, when I say I cannot remember the last time I caused any damage to a fishes mouth using these hooks, other than the penetration. I can do no more than agree with Gaffer that damage is generally caused by the removal of the hook by inexperienced anglers. with a good pair of forceps or disgorger microbarbs come out very easily.

I have used barbless hooks when fishery rules have demanded it & found no problem, but when the likes of Steve Burke - fishery managers who actually go fishing - express concern about there use & actually go as far as banning them over a certain size, then you sit up & take notice.

Steve & Gaffer are not on their own in their worries of barbless hooks moving about more & penetrating deeper in the fishes mouth due to the lack of a stabilising barb.

Rudd has a good point, some barbs are over large, but most of the top quality hooks - in particular for the bigger species - have small neat barbs. My current favourite is the Raptor T6's in sizes 6 & 8 very sharp neat hooks in my opinion.

Babar, do a search on this & other sites & I think you'll find the issue is not clear cut in favour of barbless.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Barbless hooks can also cause mouth damage. In fact a number of carp syndicates now discourage or even ban them. The problem is that barbless hooks don't always stay in one place but can move about much more easily. This can cause a lot of mouth damage - in some cases more than careful unhooking. And as mentioned above barbless hooks can also kill perch.

For this reason there's no easy answer and each water must be looked at individually, especially bearing in mind the species present and the experience or otherwise of the anglers fishing there. On some waters barbless hooks might be appropriate, on others I feel they should be banned, at least in the larger sizes.

I'd therefore be totally against any campaign to bring in national laws, as has sometimes been suggested. Rather I strongly believe it should be up to fishery managers to make our own rules.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well said Steve!

I always use Micro-barbed hooks unless at a Barbless only Fishery. The last time I went to a Barbless only Fishery I landed a nice Common of about 15 pounds that had a one inch gash in it's mouth due to the Barbless hook! I wont be going there again due to this.

In my opinion a Micro-barbed hook in the hands of a competent Angler is the safest alternative. Education is the key, not mindless bans.